LengerichKA88

Glad to be here.

19richie66

Great to have you here. It’s that kind of attitude is that makes this place the best. All it takes is a little bit of unselfishness , a smidge of humor,a dash of gratefulness, some humility, lots of knowledge and people willing to share it and you get this place. My opinion totally though. I love being on here myself. Everyone I have met(some I haven’t) are great people. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 3

The Tuul Crib
5 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

I just wanted to take a moment without derailing anything technical to say that I appreciate all of those who have been of help to me. @ebinmaine @clueless @stevasaurus @953 nut @Sarge @KC9KASand many others. 

Weve only had our Horses a few months, and I’ve had no experience with small engines up until then. Most things that you seasoned wrenchers run into and think “That’s an inconvenience, but do able” are “Did I kill the tractor?”  moments for me. 

I’ve been able to get guidance here for everything I’ve run into so far, and picked up additional knowledge along the way. 

No one is rude, or snobbish, or condescending with their responses, and explanations. Almost everything that’s been explained to me was done so in a way that I could understand it , and without making me feel dumb. It makes it really easy to stay involved in the hobby knowing you can get quality information from good folks who’re genuinely helpful.  

As I’ve tackled each problem as it’s popped up, it’s made me a little more confident going into working on the next. It also makes it a little less nerve wracking when the next problem presents itself each time.

All that to say: Thanks!

The best site on the inter-web!   I agree you can't find a better bunch of folks helping each other with these little red mules oh I mean tractors. Cudos y'all !!!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

LengerichKA88

@19richie66, you’re absolutely right!

@The Tool Crib most other forums I ve joined in the past weren’t like RS at all. As a teenager I pretty much gave up on em when I’d asked a question about my car and the only response I got was “If you don’t know how to fix it you should stick to walking.”  I don’t remember the question, but I sure remember that. And it had a couple dozen positive reactions from other members. 

I’m grateful Red Square isn’t like that. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

The Tuul Crib

There is also a vast array of  knowledge here other than just tractors as well. 

• Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice to have you aboard, its a great site and great members.

Glenn

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

I’m grateful Red Square isn’t like that.

:text-yeahthat:   My first post here was answered promptly by a member from England, @meadowfield. He gave a very straightforward answer and it was followed up by several welcomes from others. I have learned so much here that I wouldn't have been able to find any other place.

We are all here to help each other and it seems we make the "Jerks" feel uncomfortable so the go to other sited to spew their anger. Our moderators are a big factor in making it all work.. Garry @gwest_ca is so good about giving information and keeping our files straight. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:     Keep asking good questions and we will continue to learn along with you.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Sarge

The one thing I've learned in Life is to pass on your experience to others - that is how I grew up and learned all of these skills, from hanging around older folks that were kind enough to share/teach their experience and what they had learned over time. If you treat things like this as a Teacher, you're the better for it - and that has its own rewards in many ways through Life. No different than teaching a child how to do simple things, without the knowledge passed down from elders we'd all be pretty clueless on how to survive. One example of payback is my own son-in-law. What I have taught him in the last 10yrs or so is paying off - now that I'm in not so good health he can easily help me work on things and I can now trust him to do the job right. He is not a parts changer, as I put it - but a true mechanic and I'm quite proud of him and what he's accomplished. I look at this way - if we don't help the newcomers into a hobby, how will that hobby ever survive the test of time? Without a supporting community, I'm certain most of these machines would be turned into recycled junk imported goods like so many other things from our past.

As a Journeyman Laborer - one trend I've noticed in the newer generations trying to come into our profession is a total lack of basic knowledge and skills. These younger generations did not grow up the same way we did as self-sufficient people that knew how to work around dangerous equipment and use basic tools. Trying to teach them from scratch with our Apprentice Program is not working too well - the lack the basic skills and building blocks to be qualified to do our work are not there and that requires a lot of extra class time that we cannot afford. So, the result is older members like myself being called upon regularly to go out and "babysit" on jobs to get things done. I'm tired, broken and worn out - time for someone else to take over and the younger generations, for the most part, aren't capable of that. There is some of our work I just cannot do anymore, especially in cold weather. I've gotten 5 calls from Operators and other Tradesman to go out and run a demolition job that will run clear through next March - not going to happen and the Contractor is getting fed up with the lack of production. Not sure what the solution is, but I honestly think as a society we really have to change some things and go back to teaching our youth the way we used to - and that starts with Shop classes in the schools that have mostly disappeared. I could never repay what I learned back in those days - except to teach the newcomers what I've learned during all these years and I feel like its a responsibility for us older generations to those who taught us to educate the next generation. 

Without passing on these skills we've become a disposable society - which I'm quite disgusted with on a personal level. So, I'll go out of my way to educate others with anything I can - and the only solution as I see it. I still learn new things from this site all the time and am very grateful to gain more skills with time, despite getting "older" - the plus side is a community of some truly decent people. We're all like family here, in today's world that has a value that can't be beaten. I love being here and participating and watching folks take something that was considered junk and turning it into a truly beautiful and useful machine.

The one other place I've found like Red Square is the Toyota Land Cruiser forum - IH8MUD.com. Some of the best folks I've ever met from all walks of life and all over the globe with one common interest - Toyota trucks. I've had members stop in from all over - including South Africa just to have a brew and talk Land Cruisers and other Toyota trucks - pretty tough act to follow but Red Square is cut from the same cloth. We also have some of the most level-headed Moderators on any forum out there - I thank them personally from the bottom of my heart for their diligent work at keeping things friendly and the site what it should be - a community. When you throw folks with different skill sets from different walks of life the mixing pot becomes a very useful forum - RS is a great example and we have some very amazing members here with some crazy skills - I love it.

Welcome aboard and share what you've learned - it is what makes this site what it is and with continued support should be around for a very long time to come.

Sarge

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

LengerichKA88

Sarge, I agree with you completely. I’m able to cook, bake,  and garden so well because I learned from my parents, grandparents, and all of the retirees that lived around us growing up. They shared their secrets and their way of doing things, and each had their own. 

I baked a pie a few months back, completely from scratch and was asked “What brand is this?”. It blew their minds that I’d baked it myself. But that was from helping Paw Paw as a kid. 

Just so happened no one in that pool of people was a wrench turner. My old man was when he had the time and need, but we also didn’t have a lot of equipment that needed maintenance or repair.  

While I loved my old man dearly, working with him usually ended up the same way as when Ralphie tried to help his dad change the tire in “A Christmas Story” 😂. By the time I was old enough to have an interest and understanding of the work, he had passed. 

Thats one more positive thing that has come out of living with my father in law. Much like you, he’s made sure that if he’s doing something that relates to the house, property, or any equipment we have, he involves me. There have been a couple times that I’ve done something that he showed me because I knew it needed to be done and/or done THAT way, and he’s said “You’re learning!”. It’s nice to be part of a community of people like that instead of having just one person with that mindset available to me. 

Wallfish, that’s exactly why after only a short time I became a supporter. I wouldn’t have sunk what limited funds I have to play with into it if I didn’t think it was worth it. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Thank you for the call out Kyle. I'm glad to be able to help.

I joined this site a couple years ago looking for information about my first tractor. Patriot horse. 1974 B80.

I can't even possibly begin to tell you how much knowledge Trina and I have both gained from multiple members of this site.

She and I are both very strong believers in Hands-On, and Use What You Have.

I too have a great appreciation for everybody on this site in the knowledge that we have gained.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

LengerichKA88
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm glad to be able to help.

And that you have been!

I say “Happy to help!” whenever anyone thanks me for something, just force of habit. I saw it so often that when someone Thanks our 3 year old he says “No problem, happy to help!” and struts away 😂

I take pride in the fact that that’s what he says and that he knows what it means and says it, not just parrots it back. 

I’m also very grateful to have those with knowledge I don’t have who have that mindset as well.  

• Like 8

stevasaurus

Kyle, wait until you go to the Big Show and meet a bunch of us.  You will definitely be part of the Family then.  :occasion-xmas:  Thanks for all the kind words...all of you.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

@stevasaurus, we’re still figuring out if we can make it happen, but if not this upcoming one, we will most certainly be there in 2020. Had some unexpected medical bills. Nothing huge or pressing, but enough to have to adjust fire. 

Youd also be happy to hear that my dandelion wine was well recived at our families Christmas get together  haha! 

Happy New year to you, and everyone else as well!  

Heres a related chuckle

0652E7FB-FB4A-4EBE-86E6-CCD52658DA4F.jpeg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Maybe, you can make the Portage Show in Wisconsin and meet the Cheese Heads...plus the group from the Land of 10 Lakes.  It is 10,000 Lakes, but only 10 have fish in them any more.  :confusion-confused:

• Haha 2

LengerichKA88
33 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Maybe, you can make the Portage Show in Wisconsin and meet the Cheese Heads...plus the group from the Land of 10 Lakes.  It is 10,000 Lakes, but only 10 have fish in them any more.  :confusion-confused:

If we went to that one, could I trust ya to send me to one of the 10, or would you send me to one of the 9,990 others? 😂:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

We would catch fish...guaranteed.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

I’ve been a volunteer firemen for over thirty years and I have to say that this place is like the fire department in many ways. Number one is people helping people because it’s the right thing to do. Two, everyone kinda has their area of expertise. The guy that is an expert on RJ’s might not be the guy for a charging issue on a 400 series. The guy that drives our FD tanker may not be a good secretary/treasurer. Three, people come here for all kinds of things not just advice on tractors. People go to the firehouse not just to go fight fires. Four, if you’re a jerk you will not make the cut and be asked to leave. That’s just a few examples I could surely come up with more,but you get the idea. Red Square is great all around because of the company we keep. Happy New Year my friends 🍻

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@c-series don

Those are some very good examples but you forgot the best one.

The vehicles are the same color...

Most of the time anyway.....

:wh:

:happy-bouncyredfire:

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

oliver2-44
6 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

Youd also be happy to hear that my dandelion wine was well recived at our families Christmas get together  haha! 

@KyleLengerich I had an uncle that made Dandelinecsine, good stuff. Would you mind sending me a PM with your recipe or post it here.

I too have found so many helpful people on this site

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
32 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@KyleLengerich I had an uncle that made Dandelinecsine, good stuff. Would you mind sending me a PM with your recipe or post it here.

I too have found so many helpful people on this site

I’m happy to share it, but I tweak it every year a little bit. I kinda of picked and chose from others recipes and cobbled together my own: (*This was this years recipe, I lost last years)

8c Dandelion petals (yellow only, get any of the green leaves in it and it’ll be bitter)

8c of Sugar 

1 Tbsp (Heaping) Each of Cinnamon and Ginger

3 Tbsp Lemon juice 

2.2g water 

Red Star “Premiere Classique” Yeast

bring to a boil, simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat, let steep 1 hour and cool. (The 10gal stock pot I use has a strainer built into an outlet at the bottom.) Strain into primary and pitch yeast. 

When you first make the tea, it has a very dark color from the cinnamon. I don’t rack it until I can see through the carboy with a yellow tint instead of brown, usually around 60 days. I usually rack it off and bottle it 30-40 days later. It can be drank young, and should be.  It’ll yield right at 2 gallons. Since the batches are so small, I haven’t had any last more than 8 months to a year, but the flavor has stayed consistent from the time of bottling. 

Next year i think, depending on how many I can/feel like picking, I may try a 1 gallon batch substituting the sugar for honey, nixing the cinnamon, cutting the ginger down, and adding some orange rind, but we’ll see how creative I feel like getting once spring is here lol. 

The only thing that I’ve seen that’s consistent is that you want no less than 4c of plucked petals per gallon of water. Any less and it’ll be too weak of a taste. 

Edited by KyleLengerich
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Agree - Best site on the internet...

Great people and good information - Always.

And with no non-sense...

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

I’m happy to share it, but I tweak it every year a little bit. I kinda of picked and chose from others recipes and cobbled together my own: (*This was this years recipe, I lost last years)

8c Dandelion petals (yellow only, get any of the green leaves in it and it’ll be bitter)

8c of Sugar 

1 Tbsp (Heaping) Each of Cinnamon and Ginger

3 Tbsp Lemon juice 

2.2g water 

Red Star “Premiere Classique” Yeast

bring to a boil, simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat, let steep 1 hour and cool. (The 10gal stock pot I use has a strainer built into an outlet at the bottom.) Strain into primary and pitch yeast. 

When you first make the tea, it has a very dark color from the cinnamon. I don’t rack it until I can see through the carboy with a yellow tint instead of brown, usually around 60 days. I usually rack it off and bottle it 30-40 days later. It can be drank young, and should be.  It’ll yield right at 2 gallons. Since the batches are so small, I haven’t had any last more than 8 months to a year, but the flavor has stayed consistent from the time of bottling. 

Next year i think, depending on how many I can/feel like picking, I may try a 1 gallon batch substituting the sugar for honey, nixing the cinnamon, cutting the ginger down, and adding some orange rind, but we’ll see how creative I feel like getting once spring is here lol. 

The only thing that I’ve seen that’s consistent is that you want no less than 4c of plucked petals per gallon of water. Any less and it’ll be too weak of a taste. 

Ya know, Pabst is much easier...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

And with no non-sense...

Weeeeeaaaaaallllllll......  :D  I agree this is the best place, but we still need a little nonsense ya know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1