oliver2-44

Kohler Overhaul Camshaft and Governor - What to Replace

oliver2-44

I have a few few Kohler K Series 4,-12,16HP overhauls coming up.  I feel sure they will need to be bored and maybe crank ground. I have the Kohler service manual and have looked at some overhaul threads on here.  So my question are:

1. Do you replace the plastic governor gear during a Major Overhaul

2. Do you replace cam shaft bushings?

Edited by oliver2-44

953 nut

Wish I had answers for you. There aren't any good build posts on them here, could you please do a thread on them. Perhaps @richmondred01 can answer your questions.

520HC

I always replace Governor gear, bushing and shaft when I do a rebuild. These are real important parts of a engine and the hardest to get to if you have to replace after engine is assembled.

As for the cam there are no bushings on a Kohler K series engine.

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

There aren't any good build posts on them here, could you please do a thread on them.

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

oliver2-44

@520HC is the shaft and bushing you're to item 2 and 3,   (which shows a shaft with tab, and bushing) or are you referring to item 1 as the bushing? Also when you replace the governor gear do you replace the pin (item 4)  ( I see where your can buy the gear or the gear and pin as a"governor kit" ) Thanks for pointing out the cam shaft doesn't hace bushings.  Over the last few years I've done carb and valve jobs on these engines, but haven't been inside one to do a full over haul in 45 years!

I've read through every old post that I found searching for "governor gear"  and found a old post where a member said it was equally important to replace the governor linkage "spring" (item 11,12,or 13 depending on engine) Does anyone else replace the linkage spring?

Calling a few members that had several engine overhaul post @Shynon @oldredrider@pfrederi@Hossenfeffa@JAinVA @formariz@richmondred01

iplimage.php?ir=YToyOntzOjk6ImltYWdlUGF0aCI7czo0MDoiYTI5b2JHVnlMV1Z1WjJsdVpYTXZhVzFoWjJWelhESmNNalV4T0RNPSI7czo3OiJvcHRpb25zIjthOjE6e3M6NToid2lkdGgiO2k6MTAwMDt9fQ

oldredrider

If the governor gear is worn, or has broken teeth, definitely replace. Also check the hole for wear. The nylon gears with lots of hours usually are wallowed out.

The mounting pin usually doesn't need replacing but mic it anyway. Should be .375".

Unless the governor spring is stretched or mangled, it's usually OK.

• Like 1

520HC

Item #1 is the bushing the shaft kit will come with the little spacer #3

squonk

@prondzy has a nice tutorial with some governor pics that may help some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

I inspect the governor gear for any cracks in the plastic and that all components are not broken, free and not binding. Bushing, governor shaft and pin are reused. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate the guidance. I'll start a thread when I get to the overhaul. 

Finding a machine shop that will do a small engine around here has become a challenge.

Several engine machine shops won't touch a small engine.

Two shops will bore the block, but can't grind the crank. They say there crank grinding machine is to big for this size crank?  

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate the guidance. I'll start a thread when I get to the overhaul. 

Finding a machine shop that will do a small engine around here has become a challenge.

Two shops will bore the block, but can't grind the crank. They say there crank grinding machine is to big for this size crank?  

Maybe there's a Redsquare member with a connection?

squonk

I think @stevasaurus has a shop near him that could do it. It's small enough to be shipped easily. 

• Like 2

Shynon

I have Napa shop close to me that does mine, He sends out the crankshaft to Minneapolis. I'll look today and see if I can find where he sends it. 

pacer
12 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Same here in N La -- one shop said to bring the crank in and if he had a stone "thin" enough he could do it (said there were a bunch of old stones in back that wernt used anymore!) and said he was pretty sure he couldnt bore a small eng! Another said he had done a few, but had sent them to Dallas. Obviously there arent many shops doing this anymore - probably just not enough $$ in it!

Sarge

The best shop around here we had closed - he built Kohler pulling engines regularly and stocked all the parts to rebuild any K series. There is another local shop that has been a factory authorized Kohler engine rebuilder and service shop for close to 50yrs - that's where I take my stuff. No aftermarket allowed there and his rates are more than fair. Look up Jimmie's Machine in Peru, Illinois.

https://www.yellowpages.com/peru-il/mip/jimmies-motor-rebuilding-co-inc-14181558

Sarge

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Jim, seems you have some choices now, but if you still want to shop around, my guy was a Kohler dealer also.  I had him do 2 of my K-181s.  He bored them , cleaned the blocks and ground the crankshafts.  One was $117.  The other he also did the valves, valve seats and resurfaced the head...$137.....2 years ago.

AUTO Machine, INC.

310 North 6th Street

St. Charles, Ill.  60174

PH # 630-584-1188

Fax 603-584-9141

Ask for Kim

I should tell you that I tore the engines down and put them back together...he just did the machining.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

Sarge

That is about as cheap as it gets - if he does good work (which I don't doubt) it would be worth the shipping cost. My guy will be more expensive but absolutely refuses to ever take any shortcuts or use cheaper parts. It is getting really hard to find good, trustworthy small engine shops - no one wants to do the work and especially try to source quality replacement parts. Part of the problem is that no one expected these engines to last as many years or hours as they have proven - that era is pretty much gone now.

Sarge

• Like 2

953 nut

If you end up shipping the crank you might want to consider Brian Miller, they do good work.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm

Lots of good information on governor gears etc. on this site.

Edited by 953 nut

oliver2-44

Thanks for all the machine shop recommendations. I'n update in my overhaul thread where i got them bored and ground.

• Like 1

clueless

There are three machine shops with in 40 miles of me, one just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about my k181 and said no, the other just smiled and shook his head no. The third one has been around since the early 50s, son runs it now, they punched out my 283 back in 1970. He said no problem, said around $300.00 for machine work and rebuild, if I supply the parts. Around $500 to 600 if he supplies the parts said just bring it in let him take a look. He said he planned to work about two more years and then retire. I got four of these K series that are a little worn in the tooth sitting on the shelf, looks like I may have to start taking them to him one at a time.

• Sad 1