PeacemakerJack

"Blackbeard"--Zach's GT-14

PeacemakerJack
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

…the pirate piece of eight is an inspiration to put a steering wheel cap on my GT-14 but the price seemed to be out of my budget…

Looks like that restoration just got A LOT more expensive!!!🧐😅😂

• Haha 5

Horse Newbie

I just read through this whole post, and I am, to say the least, highly impressed at this young man’s ability, and willingness to see it through to near completion.

Blackbeard looks great !

Zach has basically assured that Blackbeard will be sailing the seven seas for many more decades…

Shiver me Timbers !

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

RandyLittrell
On 10/30/2022 at 8:34 AM, Pullstart said:

And this is where I can agree, disagree and maybe even agree some more with EB, all in the same breath.

AGs are classic.  I’m sure Josh wouldn’t go any other way, if there was an affordable solution.  These are UTV tires, Interco Interforce II, 27x10.50-12.  Small wheels on a big wheel.  Big tires on small wheels on a big wheel.  I would ALMOST argue that it looks even more “Big Tractor” now with more rubber.  Either way, we need to find that balance between yard chores and the occasional furrow.  I can’t see either of the tires you found @PeacemakerJack as letting you down as an amazing all purpose tread.

3827B113-C3A2-4C73-BEB8-E1955FAB7CE5.jpeg

F07B70CB-2A5D-4061-8994-F1D772A6347E.jpeg

I believe those tires and wheels are perfect, much better scale look to me!!! 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Sailman
On 4/29/2023 at 11:26 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

Doesn’t take as well to his schoolwork and so we have to challenge him some on that front, but he works with his hands—I can’t fault him for that!

Zach has a skill set that may not show up in academics but may be his ticket to a great future. With so many college kids getting useless degrees and working at Starbucks, the kids who have tradesman skills will always have work and many will go on to start and run their own companies!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

Great picture, awesome place to learn stuff!  When we visit places along the eastern part of the states, I like to remind the kids how fast we travel, but wars were won and lost on that soil, carrying not just a gun, but survival supplies, often in the coldest of cold, through nasty terrain, in all times of night and day.  The history books that kids learn from in schools don’t explain the physical hardships of times, places, etc.  Presidents have stood there, historical figures have eat, slept, fought and died there.  Soak it in.  I know Josh that you have that knack for painting a picture.  I don’t doubt that your children understand the depths of the story. 

But this is a tractor thread so I’ll post this :lol:

91A6BB92-6FB0-4E7E-A267-4026B3B94517.jpeg

• Excellent 9

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

But this is a tractor thread so I’ll post this :lol:

image.jpeg.af0ec2c1fed9e431ce195aa6e1f148d9.jpeg

Caption: "Lincoln plowed here in 1864..."

Well said Kevin. Well said. :flags-waveusa:

• Haha 7

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I don’t doubt that your children understand the depths of the story.

I helped chaperone a class trip of 6th graders to Valley Forge (seems like eons ago).

Whoever planned it was prescient. it was winter--very cold and windy.

When the students realized the minimal shelter and facilities that the soldiers had to endure there it was like lightbulbs going on all through the group. 

Sometimes, you just have to be there for it to make sense.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 5

PeacemakerJack

Thanks to Kevin posting the above picture of Blackbeard in plowing clothes, I decided that I had better post a few more pictures of the finished product in action…

IMG_7798.jpeg.818744b14c5a4a834e9f725d2d659850.jpeg

consider these couple of pictures—the finished product shots…

IMG_7797.jpeg.21d66b0dd0cad1faca31ae1fe0918dd9.jpeg

Every time I look at this thing and remember that a 9 year old did about 80-85% of the work on the resto, it reminds me that young people are capable of a lot more than we adults ascribe to them at times.

IMG_7796.jpeg.8f7d6299c5a8db037eda4d7e1404f2db.jpeg

Zach opted not to paint the lower arms since they were going to be in the dirt anyway.

IMG_7795.jpeg.38ff503deed3398cb0f8280824e023ef.jpeg

I got the A-Frame adapter on CC that I picked up years ago.  It is perfect for Blackbeard.

IMG_7791.jpeg.ffbdb0a70908bef6e1d8b18b719b15a1.jpeg

I never get tired of the grin on this kids face and I hope he never loses it!

IMG_7811.jpeg.b79f91c9098b2fb6d5cba4832f7f0968.jpeg

Someone looks comfortable in that saddle!

IMG_7901.jpeg.93e7fc4aa87560ab254afe8127f6f19b.jpeg

This is easy ground but Blackbeard did a great job plowing…

IMG_7865.jpeg.d868474e5a971fc0ec24e5a8c9ba30bb.jpeg

Zach plowed pretty steadily with it for about 3 hours and he was pleased with the results. 
IMG_7908.jpeg.71d3e79743ba1f74475401f8c8fa948a.jpeg

Hard to believe that this was a “yard art” plow (a completely rusted, then brush painted black piece, sitting in someone’s flowerbed) that a buddy found for under $50.  Zach cleaned it up good, we replaced the necessary fasteners, and 3 hours in sand country have really started the process to a decent shine! 

NEXT UP??? Time to get a snowblower set up for this. Anyone have a Ber-Vac two stage that you want to sell for a good price? That is the unit that I would like to find for BlackBeard…

Next spring, we will have it set up and this kid can help cut the lawn.

• Excellent 8
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

NEXT UP??? Time to get a snowblower set up for this. Anyone have a Ber-Vac two stage that you want to sell for a good price? That is the unit that I would like to find for BlackBeard…

@cafoose was working like crazy to get me to buy his when he moved from PA to TN, wish I’d have known you were on the lookout Josh!  I think @Ed Kennell ended up with it on trade?

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@cafoose was working like crazy to get me to buy his when he moved from PA to TN, wish I’d have known you were on the lookout Josh!  I think @Ed Kennell ended up with it on trade?

Yes, I tried to sell it for Chuck at the show this spring.   It didn't sell and Chuck couldn't take it with him to Tenn., so we worked a trade for my 953.

I did a recon. and have it on my 520.     Hoping for some snow this winter to try it out.

104_2514.JPG.e5145691988c481d9c1e7ef9ef805d1f.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

cafoose
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hoping for some snow this winter to try it out

That thing is a beast. It threw the wet snow over an 8 foot privacy fence into the neighbor's yard :hide:

• Haha 6

WHX??

I forgot to show Zach this at PD. 

I had it to move trailers & general pulling on the Super C. Doubt I will ever use it again so he can have it Jack if he has a use for it. 

20200622_165114.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@PeacemakerJack  thats what it all about !  instilling how to /  interest in a youngster , and critical follow up , the insight / curiosity , you have shown , supported , will only grow ,  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ?  obviousely continue to fill in the gaps of  how / why to do things . regularly have the grandkids over , for  meal prep / how to , as well as other , how do you do that ?  typically  kids today , don't have a clue . glad for you , Pete 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I forgot to show Zach this at PD. 

I had it to move trailers & general pulling on the Super C. Doubt I will ever use it again so he can have it Jack if he has a use for it. 

20200622_165114.jpg

Thanks Uncle Jim—you know that he would love it and I’m sure that he could find multiple uses for it in the upcoming months/years! I anticipate that he will have this tractor for years to come!

2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@PeacemakerJack  thats what it all about !  instilling how to /  interest in a youngster , and critical follow up , the insight / curiosity , you have shown , supported , will only grow ,  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ? 

Thanks Pete…so many folks have invested in me over the years, I’d be a fool to not pass that along to my kids and others who are willing to listen/learn.  I’m glad that Zach has a teachable spirit. 

• Excellent 4

Handy Don
7 hours ago, peter lena said:

thats what it all about !  instilling how to /  interest in a youngster , and critical follow u

Not only kids!

Early in my career I took a job that sounded interesting. I discovered that a coworker was likely the second or third smartest person I’d ever met--a genius really--and I was intimidated at first. Sure I was smart, but no genius. How could I ever compare?

Surprising to my younger (and then somewhat immature) self, he was incredibly generous with his knowledge, without any condescension, and I was a huge beneficiary. According to him he even learned things from me. His example shaped much of how I interacted with co-workers, clients, subordinates, and others for the rest of my career.

By letting me inform him on occasion, he reinforced that giving is important, but allowing someone a chance to share by accepting their gift is equally important. There can be no givers without receivers.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:well said Don🙌🏻😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Another Blackbeard update: Zach used it today to move leaves to the compost pile!IMG_8337.jpeg.625886de60c71b629337252ffe849a4a.jpeg

the two “Flagship WH” tractors together. An early 70’s machine next to a late 90’s model…

IMG_8340.jpeg.367b36b5a442ce1cc465be279c02b2d1.jpeg

I have 3 sets of bags which works great.  I fill a set, the boys put those in the trailer and haul to the pile.  If I fill another set while they are gone, I change into the third set of bags and place the full bags on the ground for them to pick up when they get back.

IMG_8343.jpeg.d811ca3a04ba509e37dcf33ad8bcf1a7.jpeg

Pretty much non stop hauling across our two acre yard. Fun seat time and Blackbeard worked great for that task too🙌🏻

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Pretty much non stop hauling across our two acre yard. Fun seat time and Blackbeard worked great for that task too🙌🏻

Pssst. Don’t let on that any of this is work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: Reminds me of this Calvin&Hobbes cartoon…

IMG_8686.jpeg.3a497e53d3077b0b6ddbb360f7d32c61.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine

Always always ALWAYS do all chores to minimal effort minus 10%. 

Absolute words of wisdom.   

• Haha 2