Lagersolut

Opened up the '82 no name

stevasaurus

Thanks Lane...love you Man.:occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 2

Lagersolut

@stevasaurus This whole thing has me thinking - doing a swap this summer - the 1 1/8 axle 8 pinion trans in the C-101 to the 416-8 > the 416 trans to the C -101 :eusa-think:

WHX??
26 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Not sure what you are showing me above here Jim.

I Guess what I was getting at Steve was correct part numbers. In my world everything goes by part numbers. Heck even scratching yerself has a part number and was trying to make sure I had the right searchable ones. Then WH has to confuse me, doesn't take much, by showing two different assemblies in the IPL. They I found that thread about @Racinbob having PN troubles and if he gets confused we're all in trouble! 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

Want the truth??  It should be a simple bolt right up...the linkage, the tin around the shifter, everything.  Take a few distance measurements to be sure, but I think you could throw it all up in the air...flick your wand or click your heals and say "There is no place like home."  or  "Wisconsin makes the best cheese." and it could all fall down exactly like you are talking.  Remember, your horse came with those transmissions also. :greetings-clappingyellow: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lagersolut

I was going to send @racinfool40 a  pm on those axles,  doesn't look like he's been logged into the forum  for 4 years .

stevasaurus

Jim...once you take the time to realize how Wheel Horse did their Manuals...you got it and it makes cents, since, sense.  :occasion-xmas:  It is harder for the guy that only has one or two horses from the 60's to see what we are talking about.  The guys that have this stuff that is from when Wheel Horse sold to Studebaker, etc. run into more of it...late 70's & 80's.  That is when you get old and new part numbers...different options...no name horses.  (Kevin and Josh can't comprehend no-name horses) and America wrote a song about Horse with No Name.  The thing to realize through all this, is the logic and the mechanics still follow through it all.  I'm into the logic of how they did and changed things.

Racinfool40 Mike got rid of all of the parts he had.  I wish I knew who bought all that.  Might be A-Z...maybe Derick.  Mike had an unbelievable amount of Wheel Horse transmission parts...we were a team to get transmissions fixed.  He is still on FB, but not doing horses.

Jim, can you and Dan fix his axles.???  That would be the way to go.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Hes the guru!! :bow-blue::bow-blue:

• Haha 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I Guess what I was getting at Steve was correct part numbers. In my world everything goes by part numbers. Heck even scratching yerself has a part number and was trying to make sure I had the right searchable ones. Then WH has to confuse me, doesn't take much, by showing two different assemblies in the IPL. They I found that thread about @Racinbob having PN troubles and if he gets confused we're all in trouble! 

You're in deep do-do thinking like that Jim. I live in the state of confusion. I did my best thinking 3 decades ago and then they added a decade a couple nights ago. :wacko:

• Haha 2

WHX??

Who you kidding Bob you forgot more than what I'll ever know about :wh::)

I dunno about fixing his axles Steve... he says he had to grind on them... mushroomed and would not go thru the needle bearings. Just hoping the hubs are not wallowed too bad and I can save them. Find out in a couple days they is on their way to me. 

Talk to Dan @Achto about it he's got access to a mill for new keyways Lager. Worse is you have to send them to him and he says Ney Ney. 

Never did answer my question Steve will the roll pin type work? Or would you have to machine the snap ring groove in? 

• Like 2

Lagersolut
13 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Who you kidding Bob you forgot more than what I'll ever know about :wh::)

I dunno about fixing his axles Steve... he says he had to grind on them... mushroomed and would not go thru the needle bearings. Just hoping the hubs are not wallowed too bad and I can save them. Find out in a couple days they is on their way to me. 

Talk to Dan @Achto about it he's got access to a mill for new keyways Lager. Worse is you have to send them to him and he says Ney Ney. 

Never did answer my question Steve will the roll pin type work? Or would you have to machine the snap ring groove in? 

I opened up a classified in the wanted section also dropped a line to @daveoman1966 see if he has any - and yes I did have to grind them to get them out - checked out the Facebook market place page, there's a few parts tractors on there for 75-100 but they all have 1 1/8 axles - it's a thought but I'm not in a hurry to get another mess on the work bench .I was going to wait until spring to tackle this because I'm in my busy season ....but ...it was bugging me just sitting there needing attention ...lol

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Like 3

WHX??

Not to run off with your thread Lager but has anybody know of anyone who took wallowed 1" hubs and reamed them to 118 and bushed them back down or used as 118? I have such a pair. 

Yer gonna be poed at me @ebinmaine but I found a 118 I never knew I had ....hey ain't you the one who found a complete 6 speed you didn't know??? :lol: I guess we both gotta start barcoding and computerizing crap in our parts sheds! 

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

hey ain't you the one who found a complete 6 speed you didn't know

Oh no no no no no

That weren't me.

:hide:

Mine was a good ole 8 speed.

B)

• Haha 3

WHX??

Yah so it was you... eights are the same as sixes ...depends if you got your shoes on or off to be able to count past five with yer toes! :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

stevasaurus

@WHX24   Yes, you could use 1" axles that use the roll pin to hold on the axle gear.  They come with a 1/4" hole and take a 1/4" roll pin...probably 1 1/2" long.  You could also go the other way around and drill the end of an axle to accept a roll pin.  I think I would go to 1/8" or maybe 3/16" by 1 1/2" long.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Lagersolut  as far as you grinding your axles, it would only really matter if you did some grinding right where the outer bearing and seal sit.  The hub can take a second bolt and lock nut, and the rest of the axle does not matter.  The axle gear is supported by the pinions and the inner bearing carries the differential housing. 

Lagersolut

I’m open to any and all solutions - these one inch axels are proving hard to find . I have a USPS long box on the bench ready to go ... @stevasaurus  I only ground mushrooming at the key way to get them past the bearings and differential ... a little at a time . :confusion-confused:

stevasaurus

If where the outer bearing and seal sits is OK, I would go with it.  I have always had to grind a little it seems to clean up burrs and mushrooming and have not had a problem.  If you are going to re-do the keyways, I would call it good.  Put it together, and keep an eye out at shows and such for 1" axles for spares.  I'd bet they rust on the shelves before you used them.  It is a different story if the area where the bearing and seal goes is rough and worn.  You can then do what they call "spray welding" and then get them turned again.  Do a search for spray welding...we had a thread some years ago about it.  I think @rmaynard had it done...or knew someone.  :occasion-xmas:

Lagersolut

Okay, here is a closer look at these axles

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

rmaynard
18 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

If where the outer bearing and seal sits is OK, I would go with it.  I have always had to grind a little it seems to clean up burrs and mushrooming and have not had a problem.  If you are going to re-do the keyways, I would call it good.  Put it together, and keep an eye out at shows and such for 1" axles for spares.  I'd bet they rust on the shelves before you used them.  It is a different story if the area where the bearing and seal goes is rough and worn.  You can then do what they call "spray welding" and then get them turned again.  Do a search for spray welding...we had a thread some years ago about it.  I think @rmaynard had it done...or knew someone.  :occasion-xmas:

Sorry Steve, it was not me.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Lookin at those pics now Lager those may be savable. That one doesn't look real bad and may fly just the way it is.  Couple of options I see. Weld them shut and new full length keyways cut in. Any machine shop can do that and's that's the way I would go especially if you going to really work this girl.  Do Ed K's keyway fix. Since you are going to have two set screws maybe some filler metal aside of the keys and keep an eye on them??? See how things shake  once I get your hubs broached and back to you. I just got a smoking deal on a quantity of some #15 woodruffs I'll throw in the box if you need.    

Update Bryan....Look what just walked in...will be back out 1st of next week. These are easy ones, they already have a factory 2nd set screw! :)

20200104_130018.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

WHX??

Done deal & ready to ship back... they fit real nice on a clean axle. :greetings-clappingyellow:

20200104_141515.jpg

20200104_143511.jpg

Hope you don't mind ... while in the shop took the liberty of chasing the lug threads....

20200104_134229.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Lagersolut

Not gonna turn down the woodruffs - the ones that came off of this thing are done ... I’m working an angle or two to see if I can get key cut locally ... we don’t have the machine shops around we did years ago .... use to be a nice one 2 miles from the house . 

Lagersolut

Beautiful .... let me know the grand total for the work I’ll send it when I get home on the PC later .:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The wood ruff keys are soft.  Take the axle with you and buy one that is close.  Place in a vise and file for good fit.  A 4" grinder makes fast work of the filing.

adsm08
On 12/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, pullstart said:

Wait....  I have a lemonade stand?  My girls have probably thought about it... but I’m to busy ropin’ and wranglin’ the deals to tend stand!

Well that's why it never makes any money.

Nobody's working it and you took the till to go buy tractors.

adsm08
On 1/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, stevasaurus said:

If you have 4 pinions in your differential, you have 1" axles, but you can have 3 speed, 4 speed and 8 speed transmissions.  The 3 speeds are 3 forward and 1 reverse. 

Is this one of those fancy math things that I don't get?