Lagersolut

Opened up the '82 no name

Lagersolut

Bearings are fine .  Broken teeth on the cluster gear . Both axles are damaged beyond my ability to repair , whatever the previous owners were doing with this it cracked and broke pieces of metal around the key way on both sides ...other side is worse . I have 1 hub that can be reused .

@stevasaurus  you had a video or a instructional on removing and reinstalling the detent balls I  can't remember where it is:eusa-think:

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I can save those hubs you get them to me. @Ed Kennell has the fix for those axles or new full length keyways can be cut into them. Cluster gear should be easy to find. Looks like your 1533's are decent? 

The detent balls install is also in the manual. Just be careful on removing the shift rails they don't go flying off to never never land! :)

• Like 5

Mikey the Monkey

@WHX24...you should bring your equipment to fix hubs to the big show in June. I bet you could set up a little stand next to @pullstarts lemonade stand and make a little money. I 

• Haha 5

The Tuul Crib

I have an extra cluster gear if you

want it. LMK

• Excellent 1

WHX??
4 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

o @pullstarts lemonade stand and make a little money. I 

lol... Actually that's not a bad idea! As long as I am not to busy to enjoy the show! 

Steve shows how to do the detent ball thingy here

• Like 3

Pullstart

Wait....  I have a lemonade stand?  My girls have probably thought about it... but I’m to busy ropin’ and wranglin’ the deals to tend stand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

stevasaurus

That looks like the #5086 transmission...4 pinion differential with 1" axles...8 speed.  :occasion-xmas:  Verify that is correct...it will make a difference on parts and seals you may find.

Actually, the detente ball process is a little different in your 8 speed transmission.  You have to have the fork gears in the shift rail forks as you install the shift rails.  Check this out...

and this one...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Lagersolut
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

I have an extra cluster gear if you

want it. LMK

I’ll take it 

3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I can save those hubs you get them to me. @Ed Kennell has the fix for those axles or new full length keyways can be cut into them. Cluster gear should be easy to find. Looks like your 1533's are decent? 

The detent balls install is also in the manual. Just be careful on removing the shift rails they don't go flying off to never never land! :)

I can do that 

I’m out on the road-right now ... I’ll PM you guys later we’ll get the details worked out :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Excellent 1

WHX??
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

but I’m to busy ropin’ and wranglin’ the deals to tend stand!

Guess that ends that idea Mikey... I'll be sittin there fixing guys hubs and he'll be out hoarding and only leave me with a broken down old vertical to score! ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mikey the Monkey

He's got 2 girls. Have one pressing lemons, 1 pressing hubs. I mean come on. Am I the only one with the ideas here?!? At $15 a pop I've got at least 8 for you. Sorry to take this thread off topic I'll go back to work now....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Thanks „9 finger Steve“ to explain in that Transmissions.

even for the info, that 3 gears will be similar to that.

lession learned, keep caution to my fingers when inserting the Diff.

hope you not hurt badly and you had a Icepack and maybe a „hurtdrink“ near you.

Convalescence greeting

From the other Steve from over the great Pond

• Heart 1

WHX??
19 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

1 pressing hubs.

Prolly easier to teach her to how to do it than her old man! :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

@Tractorhead  :occasion-xmas:  The fingers are fine.  Thanks

To clarify a little...anytime you have the hi/low range in a 4 - 8 or 10 pinion differential, you have to place the fork gears on the input shaft as you do the detente mechanism with the shift rails.  You can then place the spline shaft.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Looking at what you have...this thread is more accurate...  It looks like your axle gears may be shot also...could be the picture.  Just so you know...these threads are in the Reference Section on the main page (Transmissions).  The difference is this trans has 8 pinions in the differential...yours has 4 pinions.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead

Thanks for Info.

Actual i haven‘t a Gear, but maybe after the Big Show, we will see.

Thinkering about build an own Frankenhorse...

• Excellent 1

Lagersolut

Few more pictures

2nd break on cluster gear - key ways on axles were mushroomed up,

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Sad 3

stevasaurus

When you look in "Manuals" for your tractor...take the 1972 Raider for example.  The 1972 Raider came with the 8hp, 10hp, 12hp and 14hp Kohler engines.  The 8 & 10 horse Raiders came with the #5086 transmission (1" axles and 4 pinion differential).  The 12 & 14 horse Raiders came with the #5073 transmission (1 1/8" axles and 10 pinions).  So when you look at these Manuals, you need to be careful with what you have and what row of parts you are looking at.  When I see numbers like 7202 and 7203 for axles, I know that this is 1 1/8" axles for the #5060, #5071 and #5073 10 pinion LS trannys.

Looking further down the list and matching the numbers from the Plate...ie...4 pinion differential, you will see 8hp & 10hp use #5961 old number...#101880 new number for axles 1"...these are 11 5/8" length.  This is what you want..11 5/8" x 1" axles...both left and right are the same length...and this should be what you have.

Options...a to z (vendor)....WHX?? to get Dan to fix and re-cut the ones you have...do both so you have spares.  :occasion-xmas:

Check out this Manual to see what I am talking about::

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Lagersolut
24 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

When you look in "Manuals" for your tractor...take the 1972 Raider for example.  The 1972 Raider came with the 8hp, 10hp, 12hp and 14hp Kohler engines.  The 8 & 10 horse Raiders came with the #5086 transmission (1" axles and 4 pinion differential).  The 12 & 14 horse Raiders came with the #5073 transmission (1 1/8" axles and 10 pinions).  So when you look at these Manuals, you need to be careful with what you have and what row of parts you are looking at.  When I see numbers like 7202 and 7203 for axles, I know that this is 1 1/8" axles for the #5060, #5071 and #5073 10 pinion LS trannys.

Looking further down the list and matching the numbers from the Plate...ie...4 pinion differential, you will see 8hp & 10hp use #5961 old number...#101880 new number for axles 1"...these are 11 5/8" length.  This is what you want..11 5/8" x 1" axles...both left and right are the same length...and this should be what you have.

Options...a to z (vendor)....WHX?? to get Dan to fix and re-cut the ones you have...do both so you have spares.  :occasion-xmas:

Check out this Manual to see what I am talking about::

What was the deciding factor whether a tractor got the lighter 1” axle and 4 pinion trans vs the heavier 1 1/8 10 pinion ... I have a C  -101  10 hp tractor with the 1 1/8 once axles heavier trans and a 416- 8 with 1 “ axles ... I’m still learning about these machines it just seems all the tractors say 12-14 hp and up would get the heavier axles and trans ... This ‘82 no name has a 16 hp K341 with 1” axles ... 

:techie-studyinggray:

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I don't believe it either, but you have the correct set up from the factory.  A 16hp Kohler with a #5086 transmission with 4 pinions and 1" axles.  It's probably why you have wallowed out wood ruff key slots.  Nothing wrong with any of it...you just need to be careful and come to complete stop when you shift and anything you think would over power that trans with the muscle you have there.   :occasion-xmas:

I learned something today.  Dang, I hate that when that happens.  :banana-linedance:

• Excellent 2

WHX??

What I don't  get is Steve why the part #s different for each side axle if they are both 1" x 10 5/8? Are these the same axles used in the mid sixties 3 speeds? Other than the early ones having the roll pin instead of snap rings.

Annotation 2020-01-02 083849.png

Edited by WHX24

stevasaurus

Right Jim, those are the axle part numbers for the #5060, #5070 & #5073 10 pinion LS 1 1/8" axles.  You need to take that parts list above and go the next listing lower to see the axle number for the 1" axles.  You will also see that the quantity of those axles shown is 1ea.  The 4 pinion differential axles show quantity (2ea).  Open that manual above...the Raider one and see what I am talking about.

• Like 1

WHX??

Here is the manual that I was using and I guess what threw me was the manual name says 1" 4 pinion

That being said he is looking for the 5961 axle?

Correct me if wrong but the 1 1/8 one are different lengths due to the wider offset differential of the 10 pinion?

Trans 8spd 5086.pdf 1in axle 4 pinion.pdf

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

A quick search on 5961 yielded this Lager..

https://weingartz.com/PD/3042486/toro-axle-rear-5961

Ahhh ...I think we'll help you keep lookin for some gently used ones!

Here is a thread from the basement I found … might be useful.. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Confused 1

stevasaurus

Not sure what you are showing me above here Jim.

The post before that...all is correct what you said.  I will go 1 step farther.

In all wheel horse transmissions...

1.  the 4 pinion differentials all have 1" axles of equal length.  The length of the axles may be different, but they are of equal length.

2.  the 8 pinion differentials are the same way as above (equal length)...except they are 1 1/8" diameter

3. the 10 pinion LS differentials have axles of different length...because of the width of the bull gear.  Part #7202 is 1 1/8" x 12"  Part #7203 is 1 1/8" x 11 1/4",

In other words...if your differential has 4 pinions..it has 1" axles of equal length.  If you have 8 pinions in your differential, you have 1 1/8" axles of equal length.  If you have 10 pinions in your differential, you have 2 axles of different lengths and they are 1 1/8" diameter.  

Just to go one step farther...if you have 8 or 10 pinions in your differential, you have 1 1/8" axles and you also have the hi/low range mechanism (6 or 8 speeds).

If you have 4 pinions in your differential, you have 1" axles, but you can have 3 speed, 4 speed and 8 speed transmissions.  The 3 speeds are 3 forward and 1 reverse.  The 4 speeds are 3 speeds forward and 1 reverse. The 8 speeds have the hi/low range.

• Excellent 3

Lane Ranger

Pay Close Attention Red Square Members!

We are all getting some Post-Doctoral Transmission lessons (from Stevasaurus) on this thread folks!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4