WVHillbilly520H

They say Kiotis are hard on the Deere...

Ed Kennell

Way to go Jeff.  That's a good one.   And you didn't even have time to get cold.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Holy crap Jeffrey...you da man!:handgestures-thumbupright:....they say Mr Kennell does a mean head mount!

Us offended by tasty treats and a sign in a Hillbilly camper....surely you jest! :lol:

Kev @pullstart...that'S how it's done proper!

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
46 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Way to go Jeff.  That's a good one.   And you didn't even have time to get cold.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

Nope didn't get cold today...i think I cut the cape a bit short for the shoulder mount though 😯

Ed Kennell

like these Jim?

IMG_3783.JPG.3e6291ddfebee2c874068c45faf2369a.JPGIMG_3780.JPG.99e029fc4b95713191378f0f0185ecc4.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

..i think I cut the cape a bit short for the shoulder mount though 😯

Exactly what I thought when I saw the Picture Jeff.    European skull mounts are popular and not as expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Exactly what I thought when I saw the Picture Jeff.    European skull mounts are popular and not as expensive.

What if I get another deer and use it's cape?

• Like 2

peter lena

looks like venison steaks with the turkey this year, pete

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

What if I get another deer and use it's cape?

That will work Jeff.   Just cut the hide off behind the front legs, then make the cut on the top of the neck to the center of the antlers.

IMG_0055.JPG.e2b83e75cfa6325ed8997f26d3751b84.JPGCut the back half of the hide here behind the front legs.

Then skin the front half by making the slitting cut on the top of the neck.2030165490_IMG_0001(1).JPG.f7c9eba255edc61d94ac52e3dcd5fff4.JPG

Most of these small bucks I've taken that didn't warrant a shoulder mount were caped out and sold to local taxidermists for use on mounts were the cape had been ruined by neck and head shots and cut throats.    IMG_3784.JPG.bd650c8c43cc0896508375b257547d51.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

WVHillbilly520H

I'm sorta leaning towards a "neck" mount option...

Screenshot_20181119-193630.png

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

That would also work.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Way to go Jeff!  What a monster!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Awesome Sir!!!

Well done...

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H You are suppose to shoot the deer , not kill it with a FEL :ROTF:

• Haha 7

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WVHillbilly520H You are suppose to shoot the deer , not kill it with a FEL :ROTF:

And using the headlights to spotlight isn’t fair either :laughing-rolling:

Thats a great looking deer though!

• Haha 3

oliver2-44

Very Nice, time to make sausage and back strap.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Yum...!

• Like 1

Chris G

Very nice!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

That’s what I’m leaning towards with mine, but Mrs. Pullstart says they’ll be in the garage if I do that.  I’m too cheap for a shoulder mount.  That’s a good runnin’ :wh: tractor!

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice buck...I haven't had a chance to go out yet, been too busy driving the wrecker picking up vehicles that have hit deer, been at least one a day for the last two weeks

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

rick martin

Here's a couple European mounts I had done. I didn't think they were big enough for a shoulder mounts. I still think they're pretty cool...

20181123_192619.jpg

20181123_192550.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Jeff—that is a beautiful looking buck!  Congrats on getting out in your stand and not even really cooling down before harvesting that big boy.  What gun did you use and how long was the shot?  I love the convenient “deer hauler”. It takes most of the work out of moving a deer that big—nice!

Thanks Ed on the cape tutorial—you got some beauties on your walls for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Jeff—that is a beautiful looking buck!  Congrats on getting out in your stand and not even really cooling down before harvesting that big boy.  What gun did you use and how long was the shot?  I love the convenient “deer hauler”. It takes most of the work out of moving a deer that big—nice!

Thanks Ed on the cape tutorial—you got some beauties on your walls for sure.

Josh, Thanks for the encouraging words, it's a smaller cartridge... .260 Remington (.264 or 6.5mm bullet on a necked down. 308 Win case) 120 gr Sierra ProHunter bullet hand loaded with 43.5 grs of H4350, approximately 80-100 yards shot through thick timber I threaded that needle basically center of the pic down hill towards that dark gray rounded looking stump, Jeff.

IMAG0390.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

smaller cartridge... .260 Remington

That's got be one flat shooter Jeffrey, hard to find off the shelf cartridges tho I bet if your not into hand loading. 30.06 is the go to chambering for whitetails around here. Probably  cause  that's what our great granddads used and shells can be had at dang near any filling station! I like to be different and use 7mm-08 with factory loads and would not be afraid to take your shot with it. Does fine in my type of woods.

• Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX21 ,Jim, the  .243, .260, 7mm-08 are low recoil flat shooters the .260 can shoot anything from an 85gr to 160gr bullet then your 7-08 up to a 180... In the 7s I like 140-160s I used my uncles .280 Remington years ago with a 140 factory loads I have a 7mm Rem Mag but it's really too much gun for big timber whitetails and dad always used a Winchester M94 in. 32 Win Special and open sights it will be mine one day 2 boxes of ammo through it since the 50s...and yes hand loading is the way to go with the .260 , now the step-son is getting a 6.5 Creedmoore for Xmas.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3