Cee245

1975 c160 auto purchase and whole lotta ???

daveoman1966

I also have a C-160 Auto..with hyd lift.  The K341 engine has two bolts from the bottom going into the Oil Pan...  Mine is the same.

If you are in need of parts...like the broken pedal...or other stuff, I am not far from Erie... Near Saegertown (Blooming Valley actually).  The one thing I would caution you on:  The Sundstrand Hyd unit is very sensitive to any sort of debris in the oil...so take care when changing the oil... WIPE down everything around the filter and fill spout.  The internals of the pump are soft BRASS and easily scarred...leading to poor performance.  I've rebuilt about a dozen of these...that's how I know.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Retired Wrencher

Cory nice pickup big block 16. That will get it done with power to spare.

• Like 3

squonk

All of the C series tractors with big blocks bolt from the bottom on the right side. Pedal is specific for hydros. I had a pedal here for a manual but it wouldn't work. Trans filter is a Wix 51410 or Napa 1410.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Nice save Cory     Dave and Mike got you covered on the hidden engine bolts on these big singles.

Come to the Big Show and you'll find a match in my bucket of pedals.

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Great find on that tractor! Excellent when you get to meet other members.

Once you get that Beast up and running you'll find out just how valuable it is as a worker.

16 single and a 17 twin are pretty comparable but that big heavy thumping of a 16  is unique. 

To give yourself a printable  tool that can be used for a really good going over piece by piece take a look at our New To The Herd Checklist. 

• Like 3

JoeM

Every tractor has a story and now that rub mark is a cool part of the story!

A nice machine in very capable hands!

• Like 3

rjg854

Was nice meeting you also, Cory.

• Like 5

peter lena

@Cee245  looks like a nice pick up , referring to  comments , ideas, patina saving to me is easy , initially just an aerosol lubrication soak down , let dry then rub down clean cloth , do it again , watch metal soak up oil stopping rust and feeding paint . recommend rislone , zinc oil treatment and rislone 30 wt ,https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY?th=1 , look on bottle back for details . thats what I  use , amazing engine ease as it frees up the crud in there , hot coal black oil changes , repeat . I  don,t dip things in lucas green , but use it any ware there is need for no failure lubricant . make rust run out of long neglected linkage ends , was already thinking of how I  would start initial recovery , get oil soaking on every rusted area , drain fuel tank , replace valve and grommet , soak throttle and choke cables , you know the drill . keep it greasy , ill be watching  .  good luck , pete   

• Like 3

peter lena

@Cee245  refered to rislone 30 wt , meant  rotella 30 wt oil , must have slipped on the grease , pete

• Haha 8

kpinnc

If the transmission has ATF in it, go with that on the change. The Sundstrands originally came that way and WH later issued a bulletin that said 30W oil was an authorized alternative. Some got changed over, some didn't.

That being said, ATF has cleaning and anti-condensation properties that can't be matched by oil. I've opened up hydros with ATF in them, and they look as shiny and clean as the day they were built. I will never change mine over after seeing the inside of hydros with ATF vs conventional oil. Night and day difference!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

That being said, ATF has cleaning and anti-condensation properties that can't be matched by oil. I've opened up hydros with ATF in them, and they look as shiny and clean as the day they were built. I will never change mine over after seeing the inside of hydros with ATF vs conventional oil. Night and day difference!

I'll second that. 

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Looks like it has a Gravely muffler on it.

Be interested in knowing if you think it has enough capacity.

Have seen them on 12hp engines and anything larger was a twin cylinder with one for each cylinder.

• Like 2

squonk

1975 used motor oil in the hydro and that's what's in it. Do not use ATF. Personally I use Mobil 1 . I believe the sticker on the tractor says 10/30 or 10/40. I use 10/40 in mine as it's a tad weak and it seems to help.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Looks like it has a Gravely muffler on it.

Be interested in knowing if you think it has enough capacity.

Have seen them on 12hp engines and anything larger was a twin cylinder with one for each cylinder.

I've got one like that on my own 1975 C160 Automatic.

Seems to run fine although it may be a little loud. Can't say for sure anything about the structural integrity of the muffler as I didn't originally install it.

• Like 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine  what ever else is going on , its just too obvious , you are having too much fun , amazing how that often relates with horse work , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
Just now, peter lena said:

@ebinmaine  what ever else is going on , its just too obvious , you are having too much fun , amazing how that often relates with horse work , pete

Every time Pete. Every single time.

• Like 2

WHX??

Bucket lister right ther! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I might have that pedal if Ed don't Cee. I parted out a C square hood hydro awhile back. I have the hood latch rod too. 

Dibs on the seat ifn it don't grow on ya. That's my favorite style..... bonus arm rests!! :banana-wrench:

10 hours ago, Cee245 said:

couple of nice fellas when picking this up. @squonk, @rjg854

The Bobbsey twins.... :ychain:

• Like 3

squonk
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

The Bobbsey twins.... :ychain:

Extra b and left out an "o" :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Cee245

Thanks for all the info everyone! 

@ebinmaine, I printed a copy of the checklist and will go through that so I don't forget anything... 

@Ed Kennell, as long as work cooperates, I'm going. Even if they don't let me, I have sick days accrued. I'll definitely look for you and @WHX??. Its so cool to me that all these little parts are in buckets and shelves (me included) and are willing to sell them. 

@WHX?? I'm definitely interested in the rod for the hood.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Eaton 1100 is ALSO 1410 Napa?

• Like 3

Handy Don
22 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

And if I'm not mistaken, the Eaton 1100 is ALSO 1410 Napa?

Yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

johnnymag3

Dibs on the seat ifn it don't grow on ya. That's my favorite style.....

I have a complete seat if you are interested !!!!!    I am keeping the arm rests though.    ;)

I will dig it out if necessary..  Heavy bugger to ship though

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

I've got one like that on my own 1975 C160 Automatic.

Seems to run fine although it may be a little loud. Can't say for sure anything about the structural integrity of the muffler as I didn't originally install it.

Very quiet on the 12hp. Wonder if your inlet baffle is burnt out? That was my concern on the 16hp single cylinder.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Wonder if your inlet baffle is burnt out?

Certainly possible. I've been meaning to check the points gap on that tractor as well.  

• Like 1