oliver2-44

Took the RV Plunge

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

• Like 1

WHX??

Sawweet Ollie ... looks awful heavy for a single axle tho? 

Give us the skinny on motor, tranny... whatnot. 

Absolutely gorgeous pic on the sunset. 

Keep us updated on toad ( that's RV talk for a towed behind fellas, car, trailer, what not) 

Guys do it all the time with lesser rigs Jim. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Sweet ride!  If you decide it’s not the lifestyle for you, that would be the ultimate rental rig!  It’ll pay for itself over and over being a mobile unit.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@WHX?? It’s a 2019 Chevy C4500 chassis with the 6.0 gas engine and 6 speed transmission. Has an added torsion bar over rear axle and added rear helper air bags as part of the Coachmen Freelander 27 ft RV chassis package. 

The PO pulled a Jeep, then a Ford 4 dr Ranger as his TOAD. The Ranger seems a little heavy for it

@pullstart were familiar with the rental market as our son has a Ford Transit van we built into a camper 18 months ago. It has rented very well.  There are secretaries very popular RV parks on the lakes and Texas Hill country near where we live We’ve talked about just renting a spot nearby when we’re not using it and rent it as a set up unit. But we need to learn a little more about the camper first

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Nice newbie ollie, Congrats.

ok, i may have to learn for what grandchildren needs a Bar - but However...

Pretty Cool.

have a lot of Fun with her.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

what grandchildren needs a Bar - but However

The bar is for the grand-parents before during and after dealing with the grandkids. 

@oliver2-44 Excellent decision!

IMHO - lightweight TOAD and a couple smaller movement creators. Electric bikes maybe?

Whatever works best for you folks.  

My parents have been RV ing for several years with a cluster of friends. They really do enjoy it. 

squonk

I would never rent out an RV. They aren't built out of quality materials. I know they look nice. But 3 years working at an RV dealer taught me how fragile the interior components can be. Plus when they are built, the manufacturer uses the cheapest vendor they can find. When the box of hinges, cupboard doors or faucet knobs empties out, they grab the next box on the stack. They might be completely different than the last one. Good luck replacing broken pieces without replacing a bunch more to get everything to match.  Even taking RV 's to the shows was a nightmare. people and mainly kids running rampant thru them. Everything would come back broken. And if one sold, it was a challenge getting everything fixed by the delivery date.

Rentals would come back to the shop and sometimes it would be a month before they were ready to rent again

I know. Flame away.:rolleyes: But we rented a 30 ft class A for a concert once and when I went to bring it into the shop, the entire interior was gone except the carpet and drivers seat! :shock:

Nice unit by the way!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Racinbob

Nice motorhome. Am I correct in thinking there a slide out on the left side? We RV'ed for years and our move to Florida was in a 34' class A Winnebago. We didn't have slides because we initially purchased the unit to attend NASCAR races and I had seen several instances where the slides couldn't be fully opened because they packed everyone in like sardines. We ultimately moved up to a 38' triple axle, triple slide 5th wheel. It was like an apartment on wheels. :)

• Like 2

Achto

Very nice camper!! 

JoeM

Real nice! 

Should be real adventure maker.

lynnmor

Never rent your RV, listen to what squonk had to say.  In addition to breakage, many people have no clue about operating the various systems,.  Add poor housekeeping and hygiene, It can be a nightmare.    

• Like 3

oliver2-44

@Racinbob This unit has no slid outs. We liked that simplicity

• Like 2

oliver2-44

@Tractorhead It’s not so much a “bar” as it is a long straight table. The original design had a U shaped booth style seating around a table that he said was awarkward for them to slide around

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

squonk
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Never rent your RV, listen to what squonk had to say.  In addition to breakage, many people have no clue about operating the various systems,.  Add poor housekeeping and hygiene, It can be a nightmare.    

Nothing like getting a rental back with a FULL HOLDING TANK!! and I'm not talking about Chevy Chase's B I L in the Christmas Vacation Movie!  And some of the nicest looking people you meet can be the nastiness! 

We just had a topic about loaning out power tools and equipment  a week or so ago. Same thing. Rental properties the same way. It sounds great until something gets destroyed. My BIL had 5 rental properties. He now has 0. Found out the hard way.

Edited by squonk

WHX??
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Never rent your RV, listen to what squonk had to say.

You hearin this Pullhosen?!?!? :) 'Course Kev could be Cousin Eddie..... I've see him fill and empty his tanks at a Walmart! :ychain:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 2

squonk

It's been since the mid to late 80's since I worked at the RV store. If anything the RV's have gotten nicer but the people renting them have gotten worse! (or worser) :blink:

• Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

That is a nice rig. A few years ago I bought a 91 model 27' class c. It was nice but it was always too big for my liking. Then we went to a pop up truck camper, but without a dedicated truck to leave it on it was always a pain to load and unload it every time we wanted to use it. Finally sold it and just last week traded for a nice home built setup on a 1974 GMC chassis. Congratulations on your new home away from home and wishing you many years of enjoyment out of it.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

@squonk & @lynnmor I hear you about the rental world. I’m definitely on the fence about it with this rig. My sons van camper has faired well, but we self built it ...lite, but very durable 

As my sons went through college I was a college slum lord for 8 years. It was a great investment and thankfully I had a son living there with other roommates.   There were a few interesting things I saw on Facebook that happened there. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I have one rental house and that is too many.  A couple of weeks ago, the renter called and said she smelled smoke and called the fire department.  I told the wife to quickly pull the car across the road, I want a nice clean burn.  Unfortunately it was only an overheated power strip.  Who ever thought you couldn’t plug six things into a 15 amp outlet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2