David414

front hub conversion

David414

Guys, doing a front trailer hub conversion on a 312-h using the Northern Tool 4 bolt hub and 1" spindle. I plan on drilling a .750" hole down the 1" spindle and inserting on the current (long) spindles that the tractor came with. My tractor has the original 6" front tires with long spindles. (not the short spindles that came with 8" tires). I am not changing to short spindles, but will use the long spindles.

My question is on the trailer wheel. It will be 8" but I have a choice of either no offset, or a -.75 offset.

What advice can you share on wheel offset selection? 

Thanks

• Like 2

ebinmaine

That's going to depend completely on the offset of the particular hub you're using. 

Do you have any pics of the hub and a drawing of the cuts/welds you're doing?

JoeM

I'm a wider the better stance guy. Got to be careful cause some of the decks can touch in a full articulated situation if the wheel are tucked in to close. 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Just an case you want the narrow rims for 4-4.80 tri-ribs these may work on trailer spindles or 520 spindles ? ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-8-8x3-75-RIM-WHEEL-center-shaft-free-rolling-high-speed-trailer-Implement-/272298809230?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292 

Also some "weld" on spindles 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Weld-On-Axle-Spindle-for-1-Diameter-Bearings-Log-Splitter-small-trailers-/282049375364?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292... 

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

David414
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's going to depend completely on the offset of the particular hub you're using. 

Do you have any pics of the hub and a drawing of the cuts/welds you're doing?

Ultra-Tow High-Speed Trailer Hub — 4 on 4in., 1250-Lb. Capacity, Single

Item# 57204       Northern Tool

Ultra-Tow Axle Spindle — 1 1/2in. Square, 8in. Long, Single

Item# 5712453    Northern Tool

What if you have L-shaped spindles?

From PF engineering website

Doug’s new spindle; the one on the right already bored out to slip over the existing ones on his tractor

Doug kept his existing 3/4-inch L-shaped spindles and bored out the new spindles.

Doug demonstrates how he can slip a new spindle over the old

A bored out spindle slips over one of his existing spindles and is held in place by cotter pin at the end, that runs through both spindles.

The new spindle is locked to the old one with a cotter pin

Using a cotter pin allowed him to upgrade to the tapered roller bearings and a 4-bolt hub without changing his current L-shaped spindle configuration.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Sorta like those spindles I linked to above, but if you use those wheels also linked above one wouldn't need the 4 bolt hubs as those already have the tapered bearing hubs. Just a thought.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Are you going to add a loader or have lots of weight on the front? The farther from the spindle pivot the wheel goes the more effort to turn and more stress on the spindle. Keep in mind, even with trailer hubs, you are still attaching them to 3/4" axles, so not really gaining a lot more weight capacity.

Randy

• Like 3

roadapples

Personally, I'd go with a 520 axle that already has 1" spindles. My :twocents-twocents:...

• Like 4

ebinmaine

This is a pretty wicked wormhole to go down. Though fascinating. 

There are things to be considered as mentioned above. 

What I meant by my first response is that you'll likely already be moving the wheel out. 

The hub may also be moving the wheel out. 

Search "scrub angle"  and get a feel for what that is.  

1579955424_Screenshot_20210209-1942182.png.bfd311f0da260b842f82a8bd3e0f82d2.png

JAinVA

I did the same conversion on one of my horses last year. DSCF2111.JPG.3f3fb81c55065b998ed67465e3512c14.JPGI did it to make going to 8" rims easier. I have not been happy with the selection and price of used  3/4" wheels.  This setup has 0 offset. I went this way to lessen the spindle wear in the front  axle.DSCF2100.JPG.41ebdddeabffe2d034615fe6c2f47982.JPGDSCF2097.JPG.8f318b2cd40f70490418927e1abd1488.JPG1696886813_Spindleupgrade.jpg.dffb4a117d39ce2a4da2f0b10fab4d12.jpgaxle area.DSCF2099.JPG.6c17d9f6e3bf2e31d647d2b940525434.JPG

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

Here is what 520 spindleslook like, but say you got the ones I linked to above, drilled the square weld end so that the original spindles could be cut right above the bend (then you would have short versions too boot) to fit and then weld tight and gusset for strength? 

Screenshot_20210209-194243.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

David414
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What I meant by my first response is that you'll likely already be moving the wheel out. 

Thank you for sharing about scrub angle, learned something new.👍

• Thanks 1

David414
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Thank you for sharing about scrub angle, learned something new.👍

David414

@ebinmaine @WVHillbilly520H @roadapples @JAinVA @RandyLittrell Thanks for the insights and suggestions.

The front spindles on the hub side are deeply grooved but the axle spindle is in very good shape. The 6" tires need replacement, so its best to upgrade to 8" wheels and tires.

This tractor rebuild is a gift to my grandson and I want everything in excellent working order. No short cuts, no junk. It will not have a FEL. So, what does it cost to change over to 8" wheels from 6" wheels?

To replace the long spindles with new short spindles, used 8" wheels and new bearings is $196.

To replace with used front short spindles, used rims and new bearings is $155.

To replace with a used 520h axle and related steering components and used 8" wheels is over $350.

I belong to Northern Tool club and they offer free shipping, discounts on list price and have a $20 discount on orders over $100. The price of new trailer hubs and 1" spindles delivered is $98. Add another $43 for new wheels delivered so for $141, I can get all new trailer hubs, new spindles, tapered bearings , heavier components, warranty, and no grinding of rusty parts. I understand the need for buying used parts, but sometimes, new and improved components can be far cheaper and better built. I plan on welding gussets to the existing spindles to improve strength. My two cents! @peter lena

Thanks to @ebinmaine about scrub radius and @RandyLittrell and @JAinVA about bearing issues and wheel offset. I will purchase wheels with zero offset rather than negative offset.

This is a great forum for the exchange of ideas, information and practices. Many thanks to all!😊

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5