ebinmaine

Fantastic present!

bc.gold
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina's known for a awhile I've been wanting one of these for display. 

It represents our local farming heritage. I even knew a guy back in the 70s that still used one. 

She did a little work with her chain saw to get the big stuff off. 

IMG_20201127_153845.jpg.f73ad75c82cea91b2d429379907fe343.jpg

IMG_20201127_153849.jpg.bed2e03be0375c996d501514dd7ec1ae.jpg

Then from here on ALL the work was her chiseling, scraping with a rasp and forming.

ALL BY HAND...

IMG_20201127_153853.jpg.6dded2740fe6f3d575397f107987276a.jpg

A miniature oxen yoke!

IMG_20201127_153857.jpg.4a2b69b680aee6f40df70f96a5db2810.jpg

IMG_20201127_153903.jpg.f66a0f76dc2e93e8dd4704b5d51e7e56.jpg

It's about 24" across. Perfect fit for a few different places in the great room. 

The main beam is hemlock. The loops are saplings she cut, peeled and formed. 

Took her alot of 2 days in between other things. 

I love it!!!

@formariz @953 nutnut @JCM

Paired for life.

• Like 2

JCM

Don't tell me she's bored again.    :ROTF:   I want a picture of that around Meeha;s neck. I now nominate Trina for the busiest Woman's award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Careful... 

That looks like a perfect fit... :hide:

Nice job! Looks way cool!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 3

squonk
27 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Careful... 

That looks like a perfect fit... :hide:

Nice job! Looks way cool!

First thing I thought of was one of those medieval stocks to lock you up! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

First thing I thought of was one of those medieval stocks to lock you up! :lol:

Let's not be giving her any bright ideas!!

• Haha 1

JohnD

Now just paint it red and you'll be all set! 

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

miniature oxen yoke!

Looks about right size for a goat youke.     born imaginative.: If goats could talk...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 5

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

right size for a goat

THAT'S WHAT I TOLD HER!!!!

• Haha 1

formariz

I already noticed this a few hours back but really have not responded before because I have been really at a loss for words. I could say a few funny things but I don't think it deserves that. So let me see if I can make my comments do her some justice, because even though you are the recipient of this gift this is really about and for her. I already know of the many things that she is able and clearly enjoys doing and things that she appreciates and just because she is a woman, I don't want my comments to seem chauvinistic to some, which I am not, nor I want anyone else to feel that I think she is the standard by which other human beings of the same sex should be judged. This is simply for and about Trina the individual.

The fact that she decided to make such an object strikes a note with me since such objects are a big part of my life and culture. Not the process or the skill to make it, but the actual object itself and the life associated with it.  Addressing the act of giving the gift itself, there is no greater gift that one can receive than one made by someones hands for us. The process of thinking about it, envisioning it, and then actually creating it, is not only fulfilling for the one receiving it but as important , also for the one giving it. I am sure she could have found a nice antique one to give you but compared to that one it would have been worthless to both of you in comparison.

The object itself is not a toy or just a display piece. It can actually be used. It can be used for goats or as a training yoke for young calves. Without going into detailed nuances of it, it is correct and well made. It will function the way it is supposed to if needed.

The execution of it is actually impressive. She used correct materials at hand  and was creative on what to use and how to go about it using efficient tools for the task. Very well done indeed.

For her, something to be proud of, for you something to cherish not because it is a "gift" but because she made it thinking of you and for you.

I have met many through my life that have left an impression on me for many different reasons, and I sure would like to make her a part of that group some day.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 4

WHNJ701
53 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

THAT'S WHAT I TOLD HER!!!!

Yeah you know what's coming next...

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

born imaginative.: If goats could talk...

Gotta ask... is that a little @ebinmaine from “a few” years back chasing those goats...? :confusion-confused:

:ROTF:

• Haha 5

Pullstart

Trina, you are such a skilled person, that is amazing!  EB, you’re a lucky man to have her!  

The luck of having her show up to try out some of your hikes, that’s so cool!  I met my wife by chance, she happened to be spinning her tires trying to shock a co-worker and I happened to catch it too.  

• Heart 2

ebinmaine
20 hours ago, formariz said:

sure would like to make her a part of that group some day

We both feel the same way in reciprocation. 

Thank you very much for the kind words and thoughts. 

You've pretty much given a baseline description of everything Trina is about. 

As stated by @pullstart above I'm a lucky man to have her be a part of my journey. 

20 hours ago, formariz said:

creative on what to use and how to go about it using efficient tools for the task

I wanted to bring special attention to this phrase. 

One of the things I enjoy is watching people operate a tool or machine in a way that excels past average. An excavator operator that can pick up a raw egg with a bucket thumb for instance. 

Or to relate to this thread, a person who can control a pair of oxen/steer with nothing more than a word or a touch of a quirt.

Trina has interesting thought processes I enjoy observing. 

As you've seen I have a decent collection of old tools and when we need a new tool we buy it provided the end justifies the means. 

So when making this yoke she knew to select the log she wanted based on size, not using white pine because it's right full of pitch, but wanting a wood that's soft. 

She went after it with a chain saw and then comes to me...

What if I wanted to do something like this shape with this wood? What would I use?

Says I, woman what are you up to?

Nothing..... She smiles. 

Now I know she's upta something...

Well I told her a few different things and what they do and she experimented with them. 

2 days later I have an absolutely wonderful gift. 

She's an interesting one....

• Heart 4

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, jabelman said:

Yeah you know what's coming next...

Goats I hope!!!

Actually goats are almost certainly in our future. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
20 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Gotta ask... is that a little @ebinmaine from “a few” years back chasing those goats...? :confusion-confused:

:ROTF:

Wasn't me specifically but in mindset... ABSOLUTELY. 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Goats I hope!!!

Actually goats are almost certainly in our future. 

They are useful creatures in the forest and lawn!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

They are useful creatures in the forest and lawn!

Many make great outdoor pets too. 

We've tried goat cheese and weren't find of it so we'd get no milk producers. 

I've known quite a few over the years that were lovely animals. Soon as you're outside they're like a dog in behavior. 

Great yard companions and I would absolutely take one hiking provided it was legal. 

• Haha 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Many make great outdoor pets too. 

We've tried goat cheese and weren't find of it so we'd get no milk producers. 

I've known quite a few over the years that were lovely animals. Soon as you're outside they're like a dog in behavior. 

Great yard companions and I would absolutely take one hiking provided it was legal. 

what would be illegal about hiking with your pet mountain goat?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

what would be illegal about hiking with your pet mountain goat?

One of the things I like the most about Maine is the usage of Lands. 

Here ALL land public or private is permissable to use unless otherwise posted. 

But:

Many of the mountains we go to are inside of larger public areas that specifically restrict certain things such as wheeled vehicles, motorized vehicles, or certain types of animals. Dogs are allowed most places except Baxter State Park. Horses are allowed in some places. 

We've read signs that restrict "farm animals" which of course would be horses but also any type of cattle, goats, sheep, or fowl. 

Stormin

I had goats once up a time. Two nannies and a billy. I would have liked a chance to make goats cheese, But my then wife wouldn't let me. She gave the milk to the dogs.

It's not true goats will eat anything. But they WILL eat things you don't want them too. For that reason ours were tethered. The nannies were easy to handle, but the billy was something else.

When let off to go to his night quarters, he'd take two steps away then rear on his hind legs and try to butt you, then trot away to his shed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

I would have liked a chance to make goats cheese, But my then wife wouldn't let me. She gave the milk to the dogs.

We had a few milk goats when I was a child (not a kid :laughing-rolling:).   Goats milk was in demand at the local grocery store because it is a lactose free dairy product. At that time you couldn't find lactose free milk like they have now. If you plan to use the milk you need to keep the billy (buck) away from the nannies to have good sweet milk, don't know why, just the way it is.

• Like 2

Stormin
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you plan to use the milk you need to keep the billy (buck) away from the nannies to have good sweet milk, don't know why, just the way it is.

Billys can stink. They have some filthy habits, like drinking their own urine. Stand on three legs, turn their heads round and squirt.

ebinmaine

🤢 🤢 🤢