JCM

Muscle Cars & Hot rods

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

EB.  Any pictures of the milkman?  :ROTF:

All honesty, awesome picture!

It sure is weird that you'd say that. 

He was working as a milk truck driver around that time.....

WOW.  

I am ACTUALLY the son of the milk man!!!

• Haha 2

JCM

No pictures on this one guys but a good Mopar story. Picked up a new customer last week by way of word of mouth and one thing led to another and started on the Muscle car talk and lo and behold this gentleman owns not one but two classic cars. First is a 1969 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi  automatic and the second one is a 1969 Dodge Coronet 440  4 speed and is the original owner, the best of both worlds. I enjoyed my 70 Chevelle SS for 22 years but before that it was a 1970 Dodge Challenger, Mopar or GM, both a lot of fun.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, JCM said:

No pictures on this one guys but a good Mopar story. Picked up a new customer last week by way of word of mouth and one thing led to another and started on the Muscle car talk and lo and behold this gentleman owns not one but two classic cars. First is a 1969 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi  automatic and the second one is a 1969 Dodge Coronet 440  4 speed and is the original owner, the best of both worlds. I enjoyed my 70 Chevelle SS for 22 years but before that it was a 1970 Dodge Challenger, Mopar or GM, both a lot of fun.

Awesomeness

JCM

These pics were taken in Owls Head Maine at the truck and tractor show a few years ago. These were random pics which I thought were owned by random owners. Come to find out the beautiful GMC is owned by a plumbing inspector who has inspected my work and I had no idea he owned this gorgeous pickup, small world as they say. The fleetside Chevy aint to bad either. Just realized this should be under Antique Trucks, sorry Josh. Mods feel free to move it SORRY. It's been a long week at work, time for bed.

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 183.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 184.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 180.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, JCM said:

These pics were taken in Owls Head Maine at the truck and tractor show a few years ago. These were random pics which I thought were owned by random owners. Come to find out the beautiful GMC is owned by a plumbing inspector who has inspected my work and I had no idea he owned this gorgeous pickup, small world as they say. The fleetside Chevy aint to bad either. Just realized this should be under Antique Trucks, sorry Josh. Mods feel free to move it SORRY. It's been a long week at work, time for bed.

I gotta get up there see that museum. @ebinmaine posted some pics before an old and extremely rare biplane the "pitcairn super mailwing" used to based down here by me is now owned by that museum.  It's a work of art that plane.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, jabelman said:

I gotta get up there see that museum. @ebinmaine posted some pics before an old and extremely rare biplane the "pitcairn super mailwing" used to based down here by me is now owned by that museum.  It's a work of art that plane.

We've been several times. 

We'll see how things play out this year. 

You'd be more than welcome to tag along. 

We camp nearby. We've all the gear and then some. Also a serious tendency to make enough food for a military base. 

You'd need clothing. That's about it. 

PeacemakerJack
12 hours ago, JCM said:

Come to find out the beautiful GMC ...Just realized this should be under Antique Trucks, sorry Josh... It's been a long week at work, time for bed.

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 183.JPG

No problem man!  Thanks for sharing.  Both are cool trucks but I have rarely seen an old 50’s Jimmy like that even considering all the car shows I’ve been to. What a sweet looking mochine 👍🏻😎

• Like 4

Howie

Old GMC trucks are neat, if it is a V-8 truck it would have had a Pontiac engine in it.

They used them from 55 to 59 I think is was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Anyone here ever have experience with I think it was a 305 V6 Chevy?  I thought one of those would be fun to play with some time...

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Anyone here ever have experience with I think it was a 305 V6 Chevy?  I thought one of those would be fun to play with some time...

Experience. No. But I've heard of them. I seem to remember it was a GM heavy duty truck motor from back in the 50s or 60s?

Jeff-C175

I hadda stop looking after the second page, with tears welling up and 'pining for the fjords'.

Some of my notables:

'54 Merc 'lead sled'

'69 fastback Barracuda (as I recall, the "S" model with the 340.  I did a LOT to this car.  Totalled one rainy night when a drunk pulled out directly in front of me. And I mean totalled.  Nearly ate the steering wheel the front was pushed back so far.  Almost a mid-engine)

'70 Chevelle SS 396/350HP

Did frame off restoration of a '58 MGA COUPE.  That little car was a LOT of fun!

and... the one that brings tears to my eyes: '67 Shelby Mustang GT500.  Bought in pretty bad shape.  Front end damage.  Interior was PERFECT as purchased in about '72-'73, but the POs had done a lot of STUPID stuff to it.  Most notably a 4.88 rear.  Engine did not have the original heads or intake manifold but was solid and ran strong.  It was the original 427 block though.  Trans was original.  So I changed out the rear axle to a more 'correct' one for the car (can't remember the numbers though, high threes, positraction, or whatever Ford called it)  Did all the body work, and not the best paint job in the world, but respectable.  Owned it for about ten years or so and sold it in order to buy this homestead.  But, at least I have a nice place to live, even though I don't have the Shelby.

And MANY MANY more... but those are the ones I miss the most.

OH... I have to mention the Olds F85!  I think it was a '62 or '63.  Bought it from a little old lady for a hundred bucks.  Had about 40K original miles.  Everything was PERFECT.  Rubber floor mats, little hubcaps, real plain jane car with no frills at all.  She was told that it needed a new transmission.  When I popped the hood there sat a 215 c.i. ALUMINUM V8 with the four barrel carb.  215 HP rated.   OOPS... rated at 185 HP.  There WAS a 215HP model though and it was TURBOCHARGED!  Imagine that!   In a car the size of a Corvair.  What the hell?  Long story short, the trans was fine.  All it needed was a rear transmission mount, it was sitting on the frame and making a horrendous racket.  That little car was a real sleeper, lemmee tell ya.  Surprised the 5h1t out of a LOT of people who laughed until I blew their doors off at the 'circuit' in Asbury Park.

Rover bought the engine design from GM and AFAIK they are still using it (with refinements) to this day.

OK, enough... I'll be hitting CL looking for cars if I don't stop!

Edited by Jeff-C175

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

a 215 c.i. ALUMINUM V8

I've always had some kind of a built-in fascination with those but I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person. 

Jeff-C175
58 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

fascination

This one is VERY close to what I recall mine looking like but the color was a shade or three 'whiter'.

image.png.77e0919803272530b9ffb9455af14efd.png

It really was an engine ahead of it's time.  I didn't own it long enough to know of it's long term reliability though.  I was learning about engines then and thought I should pull the heads for practice, get a valve job done, and put it back together.  I had no idea the heads (and the block!) were aluminum and damn near threw them through the roof when I went to lift them off the block.

I believe I read somewhere that there were problems with the strength of the block and the oiling and that Rover did some 're-webbing' that strengthened it greatly and improved the oiling.  Supposedly the block they use today is pretty much the same as it was from back when they re-did that bit.  I'm sure the heads are different and of course now it's fuel injected.  I think it would be very cool to find one of the Olds that had that engine and put a new Rover engine in it.  I bet it would bolt right up.

That car was not FAST... but it was VERY QUICK for what it was!  I do sorta miss it and truth be told the girl I was going with at the time.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

lynnmor

That 215 aluminum engine became a favorite for light airplane enthusiasts because of its lightweight.  The Oldsmobile JetFire used that engine with a turbocharger, it had a water/alcohol injection system to prevent knocking without lowering the compression.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

That 215 aluminum engine became a favorite for light airplane enthusiasts because of its lightweight.  The Oldsmobile JetFire used that engine with a turbocharger, it had a water/alcohol injection system to prevent knocking without lowering the compression.

It must have been fairly reliable then.  I would not want to fly with an unreliable engine!  The CR on that engine was 10.25 to 1 !!! 

I edited my original post where I mentioned that I had the 215HP model.  I didn't, it was the 185 with the higher compression and 4bbl carb.  I believe the cam profile was a bit more aggressive than the stock profile also.

I would love to find a '62 Jetfire Coupe for next to nothing, but the ones I looked at today are in the 25-40 K range.

Howie

I kind of think that 305 v6 was built by GMC. Those little 215 aluminum V8's are an interesting engine. There

were two versions of it Olds and Buick, which is what Rover bought. Think the blocks were essentially the

same, cylinder heads different. I think the Olds maybe had one more head bolt. Buick version looked like the

old nailhead design. There is or was a shop maybe in Ohio that specialized in building them. Think I read they

scrapped a lot of blocks because of porosity issues since they did not have a lot of experience doing this at

that time. Was a guy west of me that had one in a Vega, never was up close to look it over very well though.

Kind of looked into it myself but didn't pursue it.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 1/26/2021 at 7:40 AM, pullstart said:

On 1/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, ebinmaine said:

Experience. No. But I've heard of them. I seem to remember it was a GM heavy duty truck motor from back in the 50s or 60s?

It was actually GMC and yes for the Medium Duty trucks of the early to mid 60s, the farmer neighbor of mine where I grew up had a 63/4 GMC C50 with a 351 V6 same architecture as the 305 V6. 

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1072314953149322&id=100011124822784... Just in case anybody wonders what my ole Malibu sounds like, my boy shot this video about a year ago.

Jeff I couldn't open the link but I don't have the face books..

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
38 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Jeff I couldn't open the link but I don't have the face books..

Sorry, been trying to get my boy to send me the actual video (but 16yo) and hasn't happened yet I will reposted once I do.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@ebinmaine, @PeacemakerJack, @Greentored, @pullstart, @elcamino/wheelhorse, @JCM,

He finally sent me the actual videos, turn up the volume as this thing is rather quiet :auto-layrubber:.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Excellent 6
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Awwwyeah

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I didn’t see the burnouts Jeff?  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I didn’t see the burnouts Jeff?  :D

I'm a little more reserved in the carport :eusa-think:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5