ebinmaine

:auto-layrubber:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mikey the Monkey

they are great, did you make them? @D_Mac

953 nut
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

love bringing my great niece and nephew to Cruise Nights in my custom built Hot Rods

:text-coolphotos:   You need to have your nieces and nephews make more babies so you can continue to show off your handiwork.   :text-lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

D_Mac

A good friend of mine did the building I did the customizing and parts finding. The baby stroller is a pedal car with a custom paint job. We cut apart a car seat to fit inside. The front wheels are off the ground about a half inch because we welded castor wheels underneath so it turns like a shopping cart. Then made the handle for the back to push it. All of that can be easily removed so it could be used as a pedal car again. The other 3 are all Radio Flyer wagons. The big red one is 2 wagons. A large and a small one. Small one was cut for the radiator and back trunk. The engine is actually a cooler, holds a 12 pack of cans of your favorite beverage. It was first designed to haul stuff at swap meets and flea markets but later designed for the kids. I also mounted a blue tooth speaker inside the radiator. I play burn outs and engines revving from my phone through it so it sounds like its coming from the wagon. The black one is steered and pushed from behind. Notice the arm off the back with the chain steering wheel. Engine is all made of wood. Has a wooden dash with gauges and a key and carpet. The seat is off a bicycle type pedal car and has custom hand painted pinstriping. Small red one was the first one we did. Engine made of wood. Seat is off of a small tricycle. Has a dash with a key and carpet.  All 3 have a Hurst shifter. The small red one and the baby stroller are gone. I still have the black one and the " Meet Wagon" . People always say " you should sell these" not knowing how much time is spent making them plus add in the cost of just the parts needed for the build. They were fun projects. Kids loved them. They got a lot of attention. Im sure I will find new homes for the last 2 at some point. Bothers me so see them hidden away in the garage and shed. Besides they take up so much room I could have another Wheel Horse or 2 in their place !!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

tom2p

cool little wagon my neighbor built years ago 

C5E56D88-4C29-4C0C-B1F9-A90AF64EC42D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

tom2p

I had a number of muscle cars as a kid - this was one of my better ones 

1969 Hurst Olds 

rare car - just 906 1969 Hurst Olds were produced ;  ironic thing was there were was another 69 Hurst Olds in my neighborhood 

68 Hurst Olds - silver and black  - was more rare ... they made just over 500 of the 68's (515 I believe)

3959055B-54D6-4DEE-8315-0615C4E276EC.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, tom2p said:

cool little wagon my neighbor built years ago 

C5E56D88-4C29-4C0C-B1F9-A90AF64EC42D.jpeg

What's that run for a drivetrain?

Blown injected 540 rodek alcohol burner?

• Haha 1

tom2p

the 70 SS Chevelle in the pic parked next to the Hurst Olds is an original L78 396/375 hp 

we were parked at the Indianapolis State fairgrounds - Car Craft Magazine Street Machine Nationals 

this was one of the early years of the Car Craft Magazine Street Machine Nationals ...  maybe 2nd or 3rd year or 4th year ? 

they still allowed you to run on the Indianapolis Speedway this year - although we ran in small groups at a reduced speed behind a pace car 

the year before we also attended the show - they allowed you on the track and you could go any speed 

( that year I attended with a friend who had a 1969 GTO Judge Ram Air III )

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What's that run for a drivetrain?

Blown injected 540 rodek alcohol burner?

lol

speaking of rodek - there might have been a rodeck in the garage at that time 

410 Rodek sprint car engine ... 

my neighbor started with Rodek - then eventually moved to other engines including Kistler 

some of those engines dyno-ed over 900 hp 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, tom2p said:

lol

speaking of rodek - there might have been a rodeck in the garage at that time 

410 Rodek sprint car engine ... 

my neighbor started with Rodek - then eventually moved to other engines including Kistler 

some of those engines dyno-ed over 900 hp 

I knew a guy back in the 90s that ran a monster truck for shows. Paid by the gig.

They ran a 540 rodek.

MONSTEROUS engine. That was fairly "calm" at something silly like 600 horse..

But it was tossing around a 12000 lb truck too.

• Heart 1

tom2p
On 1/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, JCM said:

Thinking  this may be a topic that a lot of us can relate to. I myself had a few friends that had both but myself only cars. I have a few pics here of the 70 Chevelle SS installing the 402/ 396 back into where it belongs. The 2 friends that are looking at the engine are 2 very good friends, the one on the left at that time owned an original 1971 Nova SS 350  4 speed 3.73 rear that I found for him in a local add from the original owner and the other friend has a 1967 Chevelle SS with a 427 Aluminum head engine 4 speed 4.88 rear. Unfortunately both are no longer with us and the 67 still sits in his garage with no future. I think of them every day and remember the fun we had with all 3 cars lined up. I have pics of both just need to locate them . My brother in law is the one to the far right and the one bent over taking care of the engine mount bolts and has owned my baby since 1999.   Enjoy.

Chevelle 1.jpg

chevelle 2.jpg

Chevelle 4.jpg

Chevelle 3.jpg

chevelle 5.jpg

70 Chevelle SS probably my fav muscle car  

looks - performance - handling - interior / seating position 

had two 70 SS Chevelle - both dark green 

low horse 396 / 402 (350 hp ?) - both sticks - one with 373 rear and other was lower (410 ?) ... blast to drive 

growing up in the 70's had a lot of advantages - one was the abundant supply of low priced muscle cars .... after the first and then second 'gas shortages' ...  Arab oil embargo ...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

growing up in the 70's had a lot of advantages - one was the abundant supply of low priced muscle cars .... after the first and then second 'gas shortages' ...  Arab oil embargo ...

And then the insurance companies got wise to muscle cars and you couldn't afford to insure them. :angry-fire:

• Sad 1

JCM

@tom2p     Many of us on here seem to have very similar interests be it when we were kids with nice cars & trucks or these Red Tractors nowadays, pretty cool if you ask me. The 70 SS pictured had a 3.31 posi rear and although was not as quick out of the hole as I would have preferred,the top end at red line was really something and only tested that 1 time in the 22 years that I owned it. The engine was a 402/396 with 350 HP with a few mods, Crane Cam, Hooker Headers, Holley carb, Aluminum Intake,Russell Braided hoses under the hood,Lakewood Bellhousing and Ladder Bars. I did have a friend of mine who we both rode Dirt Bikes for many years that had a 1972 SS with the same engine with no mods and  had the 4.10 rear and when I drove that I was seriously hooked and sold my 70 challenger with a 318 and found the SS which is responsible for my Chevrolet addiction. I would like to hear your opinions on the difference between the 3.73 and 4.10 rears as far as off the line and top end.Once the above mentioned Mods were done to my engine it really did run its best at 70 mph and above and when I punched it at that speed the Cowl Induction would open and it climbed very rapidly from thereon up. Nice ride when there were not many vehicles on the Interstate and you could really go for a serious TEST RUN and not have to worry about endangering lives be it someone else or your own, in today's world that would not be possible. Also I might add I have no Idea what the HP with the Mods was ?    Almost forgot to add the Hayes Street / Strip clutch.    Thanks

Edited by JCM

Oldskool

I just ran across this post. Love it!  So here is a '34 Ford I built from a firewall in 2004. The rest of the cab was hand built. A Studebaker bed. Chopped 3in,  channeled 5in, Z'ed frame, independent rear. Powered by a 350 with 3 single barrels on a dual quad high rise and a 350 turbo

34.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

D_Mac

Couple of pics of cars I had as a kid. 71 Maverick Grabber and a 63 Nova SS. Loved that Maverick. 302 with a Hurst 4 speed with headers, duel point ignition. The Nova all show no go. 6 cylinder but a really nice car. Wish I had them both now. The wagon was a 91 Caprice I bought at an auction for 300 bucks. I put the tires and wheels on it and fixed the exhaust. Inside was like brand new. Drove it for about a year got a lot of compliments on it then someone made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Not sure I would call it a hot rod. It is more of a classic.

Grabber Passenger Side.jpg

Grabber Angle.jpg

63 Nova SS Side.jpg

63 Nova SS Front.jpg

PICT0169.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

tom2p
On 1/29/2020 at 5:27 AM, JCM said:

@tom2p     Many of us on here seem to have very similar interests be it when we were kids with nice cars & trucks or these Red Tractors nowadays, pretty cool if you ask me. The 70 SS pictured had a 3.31 posi rear and although was not as quick out of the hole as I would have preferred,the top end at red line was really something and only tested that 1 time in the 22 years that I owned it. The engine was a 402/396 with 350 HP with a few mods, Crane Cam, Hooker Headers, Holley carb, Aluminum Intake,Russell Braided hoses under the hood,Lakewood Bellhousing and Ladder Bars. I did have a friend of mine who we both rode Dirt Bikes for many years that had a 1972 SS with the same engine with no mods and  had the 4.10 rear and when I drove that I was seriously hooked and sold my 70 challenger with a 318 and found the SS which is responsible for my Chevrolet addiction. I would like to hear your opinions on the difference between the 3.73 and 4.10 rears as far as off the line and top end.Once the above mentioned Mods were done to my engine it really did run its best at 70 mph and above and when I punched it at that speed the Cowl Induction would open and it climbed very rapidly from thereon up. Nice ride when there were not many vehicles on the Interstate and you could really go for a serious TEST RUN and not have to worry about endangering lives be it someone else or your own, in today's world that would not be possible. Also I might add I have no Idea what the HP with the Mods was ?    Almost forgot to add the Hayes Street / Strip clutch.    Thanks

could tell difference 3.73 to 4.10 - better off the line and also better when going through the gears (less lag/rpm drop)

and could still go faster than anyone should go 

4.10 would have been ideal for your warmed over big block - especially with the added power at the upper rpm ranges 

4.10 maybe too low for my one 70 SS - but still a blast to drive with the low gearing ... gap/lag between gears when shifting significantly reduced 

also had a better shifter installed on the one 70 SS - super shifter instead of competition plus 

super shifter shorter / quicker movement with less slop ; rods were stronger (increased diameter)

both of my big blocks used oil and smoked a lot when I got them ; really bad 

valve seals 

installed umbrella valve seals and the oil consumption and smoking and leaking almost completely eliminated 

just needed to get piston to top - and then new seals could be installed (with piston at top valve springs for that cylinder could be removed)

ahhh those were the days 

70 SS great car 

Edited by tom2p
  • Excellent 2

tom2p
4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Couple of pics of cars I had as a kid. 71 Maverick Grabber and a 63 Nova SS. Loved that Maverick. 302 with a Hurst 4 speed with headers, duel point ignition. The Nova all show no go. 6 cylinder but a really nice car. Wish I had them both now. The wagon was a 91 Caprice I bought at an auction for 300 bucks. I put the tires and wheels on it and fixed the exhaust. Inside was like brand new. Drove it for about a year got a lot of compliments on it then someone made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Not sure I would call it a hot rod. It is more of a classic.

Grabber Passenger Side.jpg

Grabber Angle.jpg

63 Nova SS Side.jpg

63 Nova SS Front.jpg

PICT0169.JPG

nice cars - especially the nova 

does that wagon have the good small block ?

• Thanks 1

tom2p
On 1/29/2020 at 12:03 AM, Cvans said:

And then the insurance companies got wise to muscle cars and you couldn't afford to insure them. :angry-fire:

had to put my cars on my parents policy 

fortunately for me - none of the cars my parents had were of high value and therefore they typically had just collision insurance - so the additional cost was reasonable  

• Like 1

D_Mac

The wagon had the small 8 in it. I worked at the auction and my cousin asked me to keep my eyes out for an LT1 engine and tranny. The wagon rolled through and I asked the owner if it had the LT1 in it and he didnt know. I was to busy to look and didnt think it would sell cheap so I didnt bother to look for myself. At the end of the auction a guy I knew came to the office and I asked him what he bought. He usually bought junk, he owns a towing company. He said he bought a couple of cars one being the wagon. I asked him what engine it had in it he responded with " do you want it?" I said "depends lets see whats in it". We walked out and looked and it wasnt what my cousin wanted and it was super loud I told him no. He didnt take it off the lot for a couple days so I kept looking at it and decided I would take it for myself. So I gave him what he paid for it and took it home for myself. I got the tires and rims of of Craigslist they were Firestone police tires on the rims. Exhaust was leaking out of the manifold and had that fixed. Im telling you I have owned a lot of cars in my day and never had so many complements as I did with that car. People have a soft spot for wagons I think. I had planned on tinting the windows but sold it before I had it done. This was about 10 yrs ago. Should have kept it a little longer

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

TIME TO GET @JCM‘s thread back up and running for the spring.  We won’t be able to attend any car shows around here for at least a couple of months based on the quarantine. Soooooo...I’m gonna be looking for vintage cars anywhere I can see them.

AD26643F-39FB-4CFA-AFE6-82CD1C6DA97A.jpeg.3e721fcbc7128e786a68287dfc6280ad.jpeg

yesterday coming home from work, spotted this nice Mopar fueling up. Looks to me like a 1970...🤔

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2