Pullstart

What’s in your trail cam?

Pullstart

By singular demand @Ed Kennell here you go...

I have many does, a spike, a 6 or 7, I can’t tell on the left outer tine if that counts or not, then a pretty nice 8.  I am only have a couple daybreak pictures of does from yesterday and today so let’s hope they keep cutting silage corn in the area and deer start coming in more often!

64591ED5-CF77-4BBB-9046-85AB8938F9E7.jpeg

172C39F9-B139-4941-AC5A-EF90BB8EAA24.jpeg

42BB941E-847E-4F7E-A106-5F264F73DFE1.jpeg

BDC62991-72C6-47E4-9864-ADA2FB716970.jpeg

B419AA27-FD5B-4C2E-87D3-62F69CEF059A.jpeg

FA61F808-F8C1-49E2-A683-3F1E4C265A72.jpeg

00CE8D34-33CB-4DA9-B0DF-4D939199205D.jpeg

5EEA1960-DA25-44F6-8AD3-32CE96AA37F7.jpeg

BA0AF4B0-22F8-4EDA-9854-0A82D4AE40D7.jpeg

9CC0010A-1F43-43F9-88A3-3A44CDA9078E.jpeg

6A6D272D-5490-4265-8C26-2B729B4BD60D.jpeg

A1192D61-E856-48EC-B9F2-C80791B4EBCE.jpeg

7269ED6C-E5C7-44FE-8CF7-69B91585E1F7.jpeg

A90D8B84-E0B8-4FF6-BF78-2E617A70EA37.jpeg

098AAEBC-0BA2-41CD-B92D-CE779215A10C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Oh, roast venison... 😎

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Nice lookin herd and not bad racks !

when does season open there? Those

look like moose compared to the ones 

we have here that look like 

Chihuahuas !!   

:ROTF:

D_Mac

I dont have a trail cam. Mind you I live right in the middle of the city. Pretty big city too. The most wild life you see are Pigeons and squirrels. But lookie who comes to visit me. Is that a woodchuck or a gopher or are they the same thing?

20190927_175725.jpg

20190813_144640.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
Just now, Tractorhead said:

Oh, roast venison... 😎

I had fawn back straps at Oktoberfest.... yum yum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

That's a 'chuck guy...and he has gotta go... they can be pretty awful destructive critters and they breed like rabbits. What's worst they have no natural enemies in the city to control the population other than the neighbors Buick.

• Like 2

Pullstart
24 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Nice lookin herd and not bad racks !

when does season open there? Those

look like moose compared to the ones 

we have here that look like 

Chihuahuas !!   

:ROTF:

Bow season started 10-1, whitetail hunting season goes until 1-1 in some form or another.  Shotgun is 11-15 to 11-30, but I’d love to sit in the tree a few times with the bow, as close as they are.

• Like 1

D_Mac

He gets into my shed but so far hasnt done any damage. Squirrels get in there to and stash walnuts. I dont have anything in there that can be chewed up. So its a woodchuck? What kind of damage will it do? They all hang out under the bird feeder looking for scraps. Bird feeder is some nice yard art. Old tool box and some old wrenches

20170627_184341.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

I have a few, but no shooters....

WGI_0407.JPG.59c63a06036acae8db2e5ccf31532a85.JPGWGI_0387.JPG.7aad0c987c0dbacb97a3de711406c0ee.JPGWGI_0409.JPG.4d5a37ec6c80c04f2cc5693e390ba23c.JPGWGI_0338.JPG.3444670ed528497fa29f9a6f0aeffd92.JPGWGI_0260.JPG.97d01d3b1b79c166697e113fc6d2aba2.JPG102_0388.JPG.d96a5525b5863b1e197fba6dc823bfea.JPG

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib
49 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I dont have a trail cam. Mind you I live right in the middle of the city. Pretty big city too. The most wild life you see are Pigeons and squirrels. But lookie who comes to visit me. Is that a woodchuck or a gopher or are they the same thing?

20190927_175725.jpg

20190813_144640.jpg

I know in my backyard I call these things a pain in my ..... !  Don't ever let them get burrowed under your shed because you will not be able to get rid of them. 

Ground hogs! 

• Like 1

D_Mac

So are ground hogs, gophers and woodchucks all the same animal? Im just a city guy I dont know much about wildlife. 

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, D_Mac said:

20190927_175725.jpg

20190813_144640.jpg

I know in my backyard I call these things a pain in my ..... !  Don't ever let them get burrowed under your shed because you will not be able to get rid of them. 

Ground hogs! 

2 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

So are ground hogs, gophers and woodchucks all the same animal? Im just a city guy I dont know much about wildlife. 

I think it sort of depends on what part of the country  you're standing in as to what you call them. All I know is they can be very very hard to get rid of and they can destroy a garden and burrow in places and cause all kinds of problems .

Pullstart

We’d call that a wood chuck.  Even though they eat shrubs, plants and veggies... we call ‘em wood chucks.  We find the, quite busy during spring and summer months, also the best months for target practice with the pistols :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Woodchuck, ground hog, whistle pig, or hackie here in SC Pa.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

roadapples

Whistle pig, pasture poodle...

• Haha 5

Achto
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Like @The Tool Crib says it kinda depends on what area you're from. We call em wood chucks. They like to dig under buildings. May not seem like too big of a deal until you drive your car into the garage and the concrete gives out because there is no dirt under it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

JCM

When I get time I will have to pull the SD card to see whats going on out back, may wait until the end of the month when the Bucks start to get a little frisky. Most pics I get are Deer, Bobcats and Turkeys. @Achto     You are right about those Woodchucks, At my house in Mass they have undermined one of my concrete garage floors and actually have come up on the front side and removed the hot top to have an in and an out from the back, and also one more entrance out the side onto the lawn area. Many years ago I had beautiful 25'x75' Garden and those Chucks would devastate all the veggies, of course they would take 1 bite out of almost every cucumber, zucchini, summer squash etc and the raccoons would take at least half of the corn, eventually is was much easier to go in town to the local fruit mart and just buy  everything. I will leave it to your imagination how I removed them from my property. Now it seems the Coyotes have taken care of most of them if not all and now the cottontails have free roam, but they still have to keep an eye out for the Coyotes. @WHX24   The comment about the Buick is priceless.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@pullstart, I see you took my advice on a getting yourself a trailcam... One bit of advise what you see now on "film" will likely change as the rut ramps up and more bucks start roaming or cruising after does in estrus.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have a few, but no shooters

You Know what they say Ed .... gotta boil them unfilled tags a awfull long time time to be edible. Just sayin.... tatto don't make the sailor salty, can't eat them horns, big dry doe, sausage doe, camp meat, you get my drift! 

Pasture poodle ...now thats one I have not heard 'Apples!  :lol: 

Told ya they is the bad news bears D mac

Gophers are not the same as 'chucks buddy but all are considered rodents. Rodents in @WVHillbilly520H book is condered  prime table fare! :laughing-rolling: Sorry Jeffrey couldn't resist! 

Hey @JCM wife aint got a Buick you could do a drive by in?! :banana-gotpics:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 4

roadapples

I've never tried it, but...they say a young one is good eatin'. Clean animal. Don't eat anything but vegetation. Cleaner than a chicken or a pig which will eat nearly anything....

Bon appatit...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

They are tasty Jay.   Boil  ten minutes, roll  in flour. and fry em in butter.  Taste like rabbit.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

You Know what they say Ed .... gotta boil them unfilled tags a awfull long time time to be edible. Just sayin.... tatto don't make the sailor salty, can't eat them horns, big dry doe, sausage doe, camp meat, you get my drift!

We will harvest a few meat doe next week Jim.   Pa has a 3 day doe only rifle season for under 16 and over 65 hunters.  I may be over qualified.

We're only allowed one buck here in Pa, so I'll hold out for a good one.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Gophers are not the same as 'chucks

Like said above they are the same animal here in New England.

What's the difference out there in flat country?

You folks call those little ground squirrel a gopher?

Just curious...

@JCM you should see the stuff the neighbors on the mountain across the street get on 'cam.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Pasture poodle ...now thats one I have not heard 'Apples!  :lol: 

Told ya they is the bad news bears D mac

Gophers are not the same as 'chucks buddy but all are considered rodents. Rodents in @WVHillbilly520H book is condered  prime table fare! :laughing-rolling: Sorry Jeffrey couldn't resist! 

Hey @JCM wife aint got a Buick you could do a drive by in?! :banana-gotpics:

Ain't nuthin' wrong with having dinner with God's critters whatever their size and landscape location squirrel and rabbit are also part of the rodent family it's just ground hogs are bit more tough muscles by their home building exercises... And maybe I let the pup patrol for those chucks lol...

IMAG6225.jpg

IMAG3584.jpg

IMAG3583.jpg

• Like 3