tntatro

Question about charging system on k301

tntatro

The stator and flywheel on this engine are different than others I have worked on so far. The stator is smaller in diameter and has a wire that runs out to a part that looks like an ignition coil but has no plug wire. I am wondering what it is and how do I wire it?

I'm not 100% positive that I put it back in the same spot it came but I think I did. I gapped it at .020" from the bump that sticks out on the flywheel, it is magnetized.

20190824_175532.jpg

20190824_175527.jpg

20190717_173806.jpg

pfrederi

You have the Breakerless ignition system.  be very careful how you wire it any power applied can destroy it.  The bump isn't magnetized the trigger is.  look at the Kohler service manual for correct wiring and testing. Sorry no time right now to link it for you.

tntatro

Thanks, it could be fried already, is it part of the ignition or charging system?

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, tntatro said:

Thanks, it could be fried already, is it part of the ignition or charging system?

Ignition.

gwest_ca

pfrederi

The white wire on the I terminal goes to the triangular shaped coil.  The second wire attached to the connector goes to the M terminal of your ignition switch.

tntatro

Thanks, I don't have a triangular shaped coil and all my mowers have 15 amp systems. I was going to try to sell this engine but need to at least get it running. 

953 nut
7 minutes ago, tntatro said:

need to at least get it running.

You could convert it to a battery ignition system. This thread by @Aldon, our birthday boy, covers it well.

• Haha 1

tntatro

I just read through a bit of the conversion and saw that the breakerless doesn't use points but this block had points on it I believe. Maybe the previous owner converted it. I'll have to read through the conversion thread when I have time. I like the idea of converting to points.

tntatro

I just read through the conversation on converting to points and coil. As far as the third wire coming out of the stator, do I just cut that off and discard the trigger and the charging system will do its job? 

tntatro

Or can I just leave the trigger in its place and unplug the wire coming out of it, which would be easier because I already put the flywheel on?

pfrederi

You can leave the trigger in place and /or cut the wire (insulate the end to be safe)  Before you  discard the trigger test it . if it works they sell for over $100.

tntatro

How do I test it?

pfrederi

The manual is your friend.

test.JPG

tntatro

Thanks, so the trigger is the SCR. I don't have a flashlight tester but I have a multimeter. It appears to be a continuity test and just making sure it switches when the magnet touches metal. I'll go try it.

tntatro

I'm not sure the test I did was right but the only way I could get continuity was by having the positive lead on the mounting post and negative on the A terminal and it read around 19 with the meter set at 20k. If I had the negative on the mounting terminal and positive on A there was no reading. That doesn't make sense to me but that is how it is. I could not get a reading from the I terminal with the leads either way or by tapping the magnet with metal. I think the trigger is bad but not sure.

Thanks for the help.

This appears to be the 10 amp stator, do I need to use a 10 amp rectifier with it or can a 15 be used? Looking online at rectifiers the part numbers cross for both the 10 and 15 except the rectifiers in the parts manual look different than mine.

pfrederi

You can use the 15 amp regulator with the 10 amp stator no problem.  Get a couple aa batteries and a flash light bulb and some wire ...you have the tester