WHX??

4411 to PAR LED Headlight Swap Out.

ebinmaine

Good information there! Thanks for posting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

The only issue yet to be found out is how well they deal with vibration and engine heat.

• Like 1

WHX??

While I was in my lighting groove got these from https://www.superbrightleds.com/  BA9s for the defunct dash lights..... 'bout 2 Georges apiece + ship.

20180106_140004[1].jpg

20180106_140010[1].jpg

The tail end of the story... the orginal rear lights  ALWAYS  go bad  (socket issues) and no matter how much you futz with them ...just get some of these. Again the jungle site or just about anywhere five of them for about the price of a 12 pak!

20161219_192611[1].jpg

• Like 7

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

The only issue yet to be found out is how well they deal with vibration and engine heat.

My experience with LEDs has been the circuits going bad due to rust/corrosion on our road trucks and truck-mounted forklifts is more of a problem than either vibration or heat. 

• Like 4

roadapples
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

My experience with LEDs has been the circuits going bad due to rust/corrosion on our road trucks and truck-mounted forklifts is more of a problem than either vibration or heat. 

Use dielectric grease...

• Like 4

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Use dielectric grease...

I do when I am installing but it's usually a tech trying to do a cheap speedy repair so they go out "dry"

• Sad 2

Navig8r

You have spoon fed me a solution I had been too busy to figure out on my own..... thank you!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Great upgrade Jim! I have been happy with every LED upgrade that I have done so far house or auto!  These will find their way on to JackRabbit for sure...

thanks for the great tutorial 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adams94

Been wanting to switch my c195 over to led headlights just haven't done it yet

• Like 1

WHX??

Did a nite test tonite and were just as illuminating as the OEMs if not a tad more. The 3k color is much like the 4411's. Unfortunately the tall chute blocks quite a bit of the light and the fact that the bezels block abit of light as well, leds and originals alike. Like putting a round peg in a square hole! Going to swap them out to the short chute tractor for more tests. I don't need lighting on the main sno chucker (short chute till the deuce ship comes in) as the cab lights will land an airplane but for after dusk tub rides in the summer for the kids & love rides with the Missus  might be just the ticket. I believe I have seen these offered up to 70 watt equivalent. Some more research is in order.

Edited by WHX14
Add
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Updates as “product testing” warrants...:text-feedback:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

squonk
12 hours ago, WHX14 said:

My new to me 520 came without headlights, well ones that worked anyway. All too often when one picks up a new to tractor one ends up having little things that need fixing or un-cobbling or just general maintenance. I guess these little things are the most enjoyable, for me anyway, mountains to conquer. Its not like when you get her home and discover the hydro has no go or the engine smokes like a chimney or the deck needs all three spindles. Its these little things they are most easy and least $$  to fix.

Since neither light worked I went right to the source first and checked the fuses and switch. Quickly discovered that wiggling the  spade connectors at the switch at least one head light and one taillight would work. Cleaned the spade connectors and terminals on the switch resolved the intermittent problem but now only one tail light would work. More on the tail end later. A quick ohm & voltage check  of both original 4411 sealed beam lamps revealed no one was home, both shot. A quick check of auto parts stores & TSC found that they are quite common anywhere with prices being anywhere between 11 and 18 bucks. In the interest of energy efficiency  and better lighting the search was on for led replacements. I found there was no direct led replacement but these PAR36 bulbs were very similar. They are primarily used in low voltage outdoor accent lighting and can be had in many colors, wattages and light output.

I settled on these from the jungle site, about 16 clams a piece,  but found them on flea bay and LED light retail places as well. Note the 36 watt equivalent spec. Most if not all 4411 replacements are 35 watts.

I half expected them to be encased in plastic but a nice surprise to find them all glass sealed beam with good quality.

20180106_090935[1].jpg

20180106_085732[1].jpg

20180106_085743[1].jpg

Installation truly plug & play. Fit as perfect as originals.

20180106_085845[1].jpg

20180106_090702[1].jpg

20180106_090649[1].jpg

Best off is this .311 amp draw per light or .625 per set! .

20180106_101750[1].jpg

Leaves plenty of room on the 20 amp charge system for more lights, heated steering wheel, heated  seat & vest! :lol:

More pics when it warms up abit out and I can get some decent night shots.

I got the same bulbs. haven't needed to get the tractor out in the dark yet. Anythings better than the std. halogens. And a UEI ! 897109581avatar.gif.287c0a960319afcbc993190955ebe6a4.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sarge

That's interesting that you found a set in the 3000k color range - most are well over 5000k and far too blue to of good use in snow. I'm holding out for night pics - would love a pair in that color range for my D as it still has the original sealed beams on it and the way they scatter light it's crazy. There is a vendor with a trapezoid lens model - but they are not exactly cheap. I know you can't use a direct link , but what about a screen shot of the listing?

Sarge

• Like 1

WHX??

No problem Sarge... yes the 4/5K colors can glare off snow.

Capture.JPG

719ccV0reLL__SL1500_.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Great - got them saved in the wish list. Need another pair of the 18w Nilight cubes too - I hate plowing snow in the dark with this monster.

Sarge

squonk

Growing up, I loved plowing at night on a 604 with no lights and lake effect snow coming down. Of course nowadays I can't see well enough to get my underwear on straight

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

can't see well enough to get my underwear on straight

.......and NO glasses will fix that....

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

Probably better off without 'em...

not an image you want to see.  :ychain:

• Haha 4

WHX??

LOL .....:text-yeahthat:

Finally got to do a night test. End result is the LED's do not throw off much more light but the pattern or beam spread is much different making it seem there is more light. This test I used the 520 with the short chute blower for both bulbs. . The whole test is skewed abit due to the fact that it was just getting dark in first set of pics with the 4411's and totally dark with the leds but you'll get the idea.

The 4411's ...note the tighter more focused  trapezoidal  beam pattern on the garage overhead and driveway.

20180115_170301.jpg

20180115_170450.jpg

20180115_170545.jpg

Next the led's

20180115_172139.jpg

20180115_172301.jpg

20180115_172019.jpg

Much wider spread out with the led's. Not sure what either type is rated.... spot or flood.

A guess would be 4411's - spot and led's - flood.

These might be an interesting product to try.,.....  superbriteleds.com

Note the light output as well as beam angle and Sarge's preferred 3k color. Looks as tho they are available as flood also with a very wide 160 deg. angle (the ones I tested were 120 deg).

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Can anyone post a link to the rear light replacements please :-)

• Like 1

WHX??

Which ones you looking for @Skipper ?

Skipper

something looking sort of like the original ones. I know napa has some, but can't seem to find anything similar online

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

something looking sort of like the original ones. I know napa has some, but can't seem to find anything similar online

Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, TSC... Blazer brand , I get the incandescent but these are LED, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180116-210449.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Yes gobs of them on the jungle site and fleabay of course. Seems they are popular with the trucker crowd here in the states for lighting up tractors/trailers.  I'll PM you a couple of links to the one I used Skipper.

• Thanks 1