r1jakecfd

Good Quality LED Lightbar for 520 Snow Cab

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a good quality LED lightbar lightbar to put on the snowcab on my 520. I’m just wondering which ones are good for their price and which ones to stay away from?

Thanks,

John

Rigid industries imo is the way to go. Pricey, but a quality product. I use they’re dually flood on my jeep, and dually side shooters on truck.

• Like 1

I got this one dirt cheap, 22 inch I think..... off fleabay and real satistifed. 25 clams tops and figured I get a year out or three out of it did good. The ones on the back... 4 for not much  more than 20 off the jungle site. Whipped out this control panel for running them. Cigarette plug in on the far right for the 15 buck TSC beacon.

20161219_182138.jpg

20161219_184600.jpg

20161218_084111.jpg

Do a search on cab lights Jake and you'll find other ideas.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 2

I got my 15" LED light bar at Walmart. I'm very happy with it. It's super bright and lights up a large area in front.

I figured if I didnt like it it would be easy to return but I'm keeping it.

$45

They also sell a 20" - 24" version.

20180115_093155.jpg

• Like 3

about light bars:

The light Bar Installed on my 520H is wicked bright

is that a good thing?

not necessarily.

When blowing snow the light bouncing off the blowing snow washes out my line of sight.

Seriously thinking of getting two smaller bars and mounting towards the out side of the cab"s corners.

20171121_140948.jpg

5 minutes ago, BaySide1 said:

about light bars:

The light Bar Installed on my 520H is wicked bright

is that a good thing?

not necessarily.

When blowing snow the light bouncing off the blowing snow washes out my line of sight.

Seriously thinking of getting two smaller bars and mounting towards the out side of the cab"s corners.

20171121_140948.jpg

I’m sure it is bright! It’s like using high beams in the car during a blizzard. I think the other problem is the color they throw. They have gotten better but are not a “warm” light at all. I just ordered these to replace the 4 halogen worklights on my cab.

LED Light Bar, Northpole Light [2 Pack] 18W CREE Flood LED Pods LED Work Lights Driving Fog Lights for Off-road, Truck, Car, ATV, SUV, Jeep https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EJWB62U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YtFzAb95KW0K8

I’m hoping they work out but if not, they are only $13

Color temperature is tough with the cheaper leds - for snow you need to be well below 4000k color temperature and down around 3k is optimal. Problem is , there are very few made in that color range. Some of the colored lenses help, but the base color of the led is the key as the use of a colored lens kills the lamps power output. Best lamps I've ever own and still have in service are the old 5" PIAA 85w Ion fog lamps - they will shine through the heaviest fog or heavy, driving snow storm like none other. Problem with them is the current draw - they would beat up the charging system in any of our machines unless you added a small external alternator. I wish they were a bit smaller - I'd install those in a heartbeat on my '14 Dodge pickup since it's fog lights are pathetic at best and the old Cruiser is going away soon.

PIAA's aren't cheap - just like Rigid Industries , but their quality is second to none. My Ion lamps still have the original bulbs in them - pretty amazing considering they are about 10yrs old and have a lot of hours on them from the old Samurai trail/street rig I had that beat to death off road on a regular basis - I used them a lot . PIAA has been a leader in lighting technology and now they've hit it out of the ball park with a rear-firing led design. This better utilizes the led's light output and gives the reflector the ability to better focus the light beam - exactly what I've wanted for years, but the price tag is , uh, painful....

Color temp is spot-on for fog/snow conditions @2500k .

http://www.piaa.com/led.htm?Attribs=87

For snow removal during a storm or heavy fog - this would be my choice -

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/800-PIAA-RF-Series-6-LED-Light-Bar-Yellow-Fog-Beam-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Modern cars with led headlights use the same rear-firing technology in a tightly focused projector style lamp - and they truly work excellent.

Sarge

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Color temperature is tough with the cheaper leds - for snow you need to be well below 4000k color temperature and down around 3k is optimal. Problem is , there are very few made in that color range. Some of the colored lenses help, but the base color of the led is the key as the use of a colored lens kills the lamps power output. Best lamps I've ever own and still have in service are the old 5" PIAA 85w Ion fog lamps - they will shine through the heaviest fog or heavy, driving snow storm like none other. Problem with them is the current draw - they would beat up the charging system in any of our machines unless you added a small external alternator. I wish they were a bit smaller - I'd install those in a heartbeat on my '14 Dodge pickup since it's fog lights are pathetic at best and the old Cruiser is going away soon.

PIAA's aren't cheap - just like Rigid Industries , but their quality is second to none. My Ion lamps still have the original bulbs in them - pretty amazing considering they are about 10yrs old and have a lot of hours on them from the old Samurai trail/street rig I had that beat to death off road on a regular basis - I used them a lot . PIAA has been a leader in lighting technology and now they've hit it out of the ball park with a rear-firing led design. This better utilizes the led's light output and gives the reflector the ability to better focus the light beam - exactly what I've wanted for years, but the price tag is , uh, painful....

Color temp is spot-on for fog/snow conditions @2500k .

http://www.piaa.com/led.htm?Attribs=87

For snow removal during a storm or heavy fog - this would be my choice -

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/800-PIAA-RF-Series-6-LED-Light-Bar-Yellow-Fog-Beam-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Modern cars with led headlights use the same rear-firing technology in a tightly focused projector style lamp - and they truly work excellent.

Sarge

Ouch, those are expensive but perfectly suited for snow removal. I’m a Firefighter and all the new LED’s are really overwhelming. When we pull up at a scene behind another truck it’s really blinding. I’m going to try out the cheapo worklights and go from there. If they’re too bright I’ll just drive by feel!🤣