tractorchick

R.I.P. Phil Bowling

tractorchick

I got a call this morning from Phil's friend Scott.  He told me he found Phil at his home on Saturday.  

Those who knew Phil knew that he was a Wheel Horse collector and attended the annual Collector's Club event.  

He was a terrific guy, full of knowledge and always ready to help anyone.  

Rest in Peace, Phil!  You will always be remembered!

1457014011_Screenshot2023-05-30at9_46_14AM.png.3085712cdf0f5e3d19e98836c8a43385.png

• Sad 18
  • Heart 6

squonk

Gonna miss Phil. I'll never forget the Tailgate of Knowledge about 5 years ago on Wed night before the show with his little multiple fuel engine. RIP my friend.

• Like 1
  • Heart 4

SylvanLakeWH

Godspeed.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

image.jpeg.cee9bbf872d4bf798f33a5c292cb1ea1.jpeg

Always enjoyed our conversations at the Wednesday dinners prior to the Big Show. Phil will be missed here on earth but we look forward to joining him in heaven when the time comes.

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

Ed Kennell

I never had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Bowling.   But from the above comments, I know he will be missed by the Wheel Horse Family.     Rest in Peace Sir.

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

Handy Don

Didn’t recall the name, but at the Show we spent at least an hour discussing the engineering that goes into fueling a small engine. Most enjoyable. 

Rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

rjg854

Rest in peace, Phil.  He was a great guy, very friendly and knowledgeable. You sure will be missed on Wednesday night. One of the regulars.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

@Sparky asked me what his screen name was.  Simply @phil bowling was good enough.  Posts in 9 years?  0.  His input behind the scenes on many projects was very appreciated.  His knowledge of all things of old was priceless.  I’m glad to have met him at the Wednesday night dinner before the Big Show, in 2018.  We had been buds ever since!

52D7CD00-839D-4C4B-92C8-23C2CE05B3B0.jpeg

Thanks Mike for turning his name green, I hope his soul is truly at peace!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Heart 6

squonk
9 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@Sparky asked me what his screen name was.  Simply @phil bowling was good enough.  Posts in 9 years?  0.  His input behind the scenes on many projects was very appreciated.  His knowledge of all things of old was priceless.  I’m glad to have met him at the Wednesday night dinner before the Big Show, in 2018.  We had been buds ever since!

52D7CD00-839D-4C4B-92C8-23C2CE05B3B0.jpeg

Thanks Mike for turning his name green, I hope his soul is truly at peace!

I was getting the guys together for a Wed. night get together back then. About a week before the show Phil messaged me wanting to know if he could tag along. He told me he didn't post but just read topics. I said sure. We had a tailgate at the old Comfort Inn in Scotland and it was me ,Phil, @Aldon and maybe HHHOOOWWWAAARRDDD!!!

About 4 years ago right before the show @Buzz put a wheel barrow trailer up for sale. I saw it posted just before I went to bed. I messaged Buzz and the next morning Buzz told me Phil had already bought it. I had been trying to find one for a while, I messaged Phil and gave him the business about buying it during the cover of darkness.:) He replied he really didn't need it and I could have it for what he paid. That's the type of guy Phil was. He dropped an engine off at @richmondred01 for me one year and bought several items off of me many times. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

richmondred01

I’m sorry to hear this news. He was a kind man. 

• Heart 4

rmaynard

Can't say that I ever had direct contact with him at the big show, but I'm sure our paths crossed. Rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

tractorchick

His friend Scott was hoping to have a memorial for him at the show in a few weeks.  I'll keep you posted if I hear more on that.  

He was always waiting for me and the guys at the Lebanon, PA show and kept in touch as we traveled there from IN to PA.  He stayed at the booth with us, entertained us with his vast knowledge of mechanics, and went to dinner with us every night.  He never forgot the goodies.....peanut butter whiskey, Baltimore cookies, chocolates, etc.  Phil was kind, thoughtful and intelligent!  The news is still raw and very sad for me.  

Edited by tractorchick
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

953 nut
16 minutes ago, tractorchick said:

Scott was hoping to have a memorial for him at the show in a few weeks

Wonderful idea, perhaps we could include Jay  @roadapples passing as a part of the memorial.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell
29 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Wonderful idea, perhaps we could include Jay  @roadapples passing as a part of the memorial.

I was just discussing that Saturday with @ericj at the Hershaull Park Show.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

formariz

Sad to hear this. I first met Phil many years back at Steam O Rama. A true gentleman and kind soul. Along with my son I always enjoyed listening to him. Another great loss of someone that in very few minutes would leave a lifelong impression on someone. They are becoming fewer and fewer. We should remind those we feel this way about of how we feel about them before we lose them. Some of my greatest regrets in life is of not having done so. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 2

stevebo

Phil was a super nice guy for sure. So sad to hear this. Phil actually made the trip from Virginia to Connecticut a few years ago to attend my fall meet and greet. He loved that Briggs demo motor. Rip my friend…

• Heart 4

tractorchick
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You should totally do that for your friend!  I think Scott was just doing something personal since he and Phil were like brothers, it's not actually through the Collector's Club.  It's always nice to be recognized. 

• Heart 2

Pullstart
5 hours ago, tractorchick said:

peanut butter whiskey, Baltimore cookies, chocolates, etc.

yes!  Very thoughtful, and tasty treats from Phil!

• Like 1

squonk

Wed. Night from 2017

594fc45c03cce_WHCC2017004.JPG.1e6b2d13c479fca2cd119870c61d398a.JPG

Wed. 2018

5b2f7c6c36faa_show2018004.JPG.970ea57e7e34e8b46be74b27ad8a580c.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

pepperpump

Good morning everyone, my name is Jason and I was a co-worker of Phil before he retired. We are just finding out of his passing. If anyone speaks to scott or has a way to ask him to reach out to us please, please send me a private message so I can give a phone number. All of us that knew him truly appreciate it as we are all still in shock over it. Please let me know and thanks and take care!

Jason W

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

nylyon

Didn’t know him well, but did meet him at the show, sad when we lose a brother.  @tractorchick Kate, please see the above post from his co-worker.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

I have Scott's #. I'll send it.

• Like 3

wallfish

Sad News!  RIP Phil

It was always a pleasure seeing and talking with you. We'll miss you

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

tractorchick