sjoemie himself

Front mounted tiller

sjoemie himself
Posted (edited)

A while ago I picked up a Canadiana 5hp heavy duty tiller. It features forward and reverse control and you could buy add on implements for it.

IMG_20220507_180244_3.jpg

IMG_20220507_180240_0.jpg

IMG_20220507_180251_5.jpg

My example unfortunately suffered a catastrofic engine faillure a.k.a. 'window' in the block. Hence it was cheap so I picked it up. The idea I had for it was to mount it on the rear of my 'Murray to IH 1568' build. However since I bought a Wheel Horse i've been thinking about mounting it on the front of that tractor.

This is what i'm thinking..

IMG_20220507_153916_5.jpg

Edited by sjoemie himself
Added info
  • Like 2

8ntruck

Good idea.  Somebody here has done the same thing.  Seems like it was about a year ago.  I'm pretty sure the post was in the implements and attachments section of the forum.

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell Can you provide advise on your Mad Max Tiller to @sjoemie himself?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Here’s Ed’s build thread :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Ed Kennell Can you provide advise on your Mad Max Tiller to @sjoemie himself?

I see my build thread has been posted...thanks Kev.

I modified my walk behind tiller and mounted it on a plow frame.      The tiller is raised and lowered by the plow frame.    The tiller rotation throws the dirt away from the tractor.     I normally use it by running the tractor in reverse so I am not running over the tilled area.     It works great for tilling beds that are close to my buildings.104_0330.JPG.aace9c03930f25a4a1ff2eb6153bb35a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Thank you gentlemen! Very useful information!

I thought I saw a front mounted tiller around here somewhere and even looked for it but couldn't find the topic, now I know.

Since I don't have a plow frame and probably never going to find one i'll just use the front tach-a-matic.

My plan is to run the tiller 'backwards' and the tractor forwards, so that the tranny is under constant load.

I think i'll keep the guiding wheels on the front to act as a depth stop so to say..

@Ed Kennell I see that you drive your tiller directly from the pto pulley without a jackshaft with 'gear reduction' to slow the output rpm down. Did it speed up the tiller much or do you think on the walk behind the reduction was incorporated because of the limited power at hand?

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Did it speed up the tiller much

I have the belt on the small outer PTO pulley and run the engine at 2000 RPM.     This uses around 6 of the 12 HP engine and is plenty of power.     The tiller probably turns a bit faster than it did as designed with the origonal engine turning at 3600 and with a smaller drive pulley.   

It works fine in pre plowed ground, but would  probably be too fast for tilling sod or hard packed soil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Thanks for your input. I think in that case I will incorporate a jackshaft to get the correct rpm.

I want to use the tiller to break up sod so a bit less rpm is probably the way to go.

I'm curious to see what the little Robin diesel will do once I put the tiller down. Could get interesting! :ph34r:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

interesting

Yepp.  

• Haha 1