msdhomeplans@gmail.com

Carburetor Replacement

msdhomeplans@gmail.com

Hi I am trying to resurrect my fathers 1966 wheel horse lawn ranger.  I have gas leaking from the carburetor and I need a replacement.  I can not seem to find any accurate resources for the correct one needed. 

Here are the specs for the tractor.  I am also in need of a seat for it if you know which work for this model.  

Thanks in advance!

Model Number L 156

Serial # 219222

Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger L-156

Tecumseh H60
gasoline
1-cylinder
air-cooled
Displacement: 221 cc
13.53 ci
Bore/Stroke: 2.625x2.50 inches
67 x 64 mm
Power: 6 hp
4.5 kW
Starter volts: 12

Edited by msdhomeplans@gmail.com
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Techy carb # 631067A

Just a leak may just need gasket and repair set 31840

Lots of cheap knock offs around.  Some work well others not so well you pays your money you take your chance.

I usually try to repair the original first

Knock off and original

Ocarb.JPG

carb1.JPG

carb2.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 6

msdhomeplans@gmail.com

Thank you for the quick response!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

leak may just need gasket and repair set

I'd second the advice of trying to repair what you have.   

Properly diagnose the actual issue before doing any repair.  (On anything really).  

ri702bill

Once the carb is dis-assembled, hold it near your ear (or in my case, the good ear) shake it and listen for the sound of the check ball in the emulsifier tube to RATTLE - if there is NO sound, it is stuck and there is no positive way to clear that passage - time for a different carb. BT,DT

Bill

• Like 1

Handy Don
22 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Once the carb is dis-assembled, hold it near your ear (or in my case, the good ear) shake it and listen for the sound of the check ball in the emulsifier tube to RATTLE - if there is NO sound, it is stuck and there is no positive way to clear that passage - time for a different carb. BT,DT

Bill

Someone here did a thread on drilling out the brass pin that captures that ball and using a small machine screw to seal the emulsifier tube back up after cleaning it out.

@squonk? @stevasaurus?

The issue is that the emulsifiers fuel passages (both the entry and exit) are extremely small.

Only time I've succeeded getting one unclogged was after a longish session in a friend's ultrasonic tank (too bad he's moved away and I'm too cheap to get my own).

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I think this is what you are asking about.  @rmaynard  This thread is in the Reference Section / Engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Howie

I have tried to fix three of these, they all had a steel ball plugging that passage.

Used a Dremel with carbide burr, took considerable time. You have an aluminum

carb body with a black oxide coated pin in that passage. With water in the gas and

resideing in the carb for who know how long it is a recipe for trouble.

Wish they had used something else for the plug. At least the ones I tried were that

way. 

• Like 1