Jeff-C175

More C-125 / K301 questions with photos...

Jeff-C175
18 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Tomorrow I'll clean up the metal and try to get it painted before dinner.

Well... it took me ALL DAY with only one PB&J and Coffee break, from about 10 AM  until dark to get all the crap off the top and bottom.  

I did not anticipate the amount of rust hiding under the paint!  

image.png.ba019bc74671aa59c5e2c592d279e66c.png

image.png.b6e90a1fb173a5bf52bfddacebed4040.png

@peter lena  You mentioned a throttle return spring.  Looking around in there I realized that there's a small hole at the corner of one of the tins and another hole in the throttle lever.  It looks to me as if there is supposed to be a spring installed there.

image.png.06a426f7ad671159fdba0ae7c6e24c9a.png

So I stole a suitable spring from one of the junked bird feeders that looks like it will do the job.  Not too stiff, just enough to keep the squirrels out of my carburetor.  I'll put up a pic of that later.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
10 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I routed the cable on the OUTSIDE of the oil dipstick tube and clamped onto the very end of the cable, there was about an inch extra there.  I turned the clamp bracket a few degrees and put a couple layers of heat shrink over the cable.

Looks like this will do the trick, it's not laying on the cylinder head fins any longer.

:banana-gotpics:... :angry-tappingfoot:

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I stole a suitable spring from one of the junked bird feeders

WOW... sounds like something I would do... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

To... quote @953 nut...

On 11/15/2021 at 7:26 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-worthless:

Don

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I did not anticipate the amount of rust hiding under the paint!  

I think it was @stevasaurus that said something to the following effect...

Nothing rusts as well as a Wheel Horse, of course... :wh:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
On 11/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

the machine lurches toward your wife's vintage Monte Carlo!

May not have to worry about fixing the tractor... if Monte gets damaged...

Top Rolling Pin Stickers for Android & iOS | Gfycat

Don

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Don

Phone battery went dead... but here they are!

The bird feeder throttle return spring

@peter lena

image.png.8f8513bb6c7683afbf8b2e160e4036d5.png

Moving the throttle cable away from the cooling fins:

I turned this bracket a couple more degrees counter clockwise and added that heat shrink tubing to the damaged area.

The weird orange-ish colors are from the camera.  It doesn't like my fluorescent drop light reflections.

image.png.d5918d59ffe4ab7ecc5160d2d20a6263.png

Ran the cable OUTSIDE the dipstick tube rather than inside where it was and where the dashed line is.  This one also shows the cleaned and painted PTO parts.

image.png.e1dcac3fd23057ca3bc03746718d5bd6.png

There was about an inch and a half of wire hanging out where the green line is so I pushed it back all the way, this, along with the other things, gave me the extra length I needed to clear the cooling fins.

image.png.78b8c7d1c9e446c0f8edf4caf8632222.png

And, as a bonus, might as well show this also.  The gas tank brackets and seat stand were rusted to 5h1t.  Stripped and painted.  No, I'm not going to paint the hydro pump.

The dashboard panels are in the paint booth drying.  Stripped those to bare metal and repainted.  I've got new decals for them.

I removed the rear lift tube (don't use it, never will) and ran the fuel line under there instead, perfect fit.

image.png.b3d9d067a85c0e49c1ff4bc1e17db7f6.png

4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Monte

Yeah, and she's already pizzed that I'm not rebuilding the front suspension like I promised I would do this fall and playing with my new toy instead!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

peter lena

@Snoopy11  those throttle , linkage , cable mounts require  time detailing to get them to work properly . I lubricate and verify EVERY PIECE AND FUNCTION. any rust or hang-up will effect the entire layout . when dealing with any problem area . find a sitting stool look at its intended operation , exposes its fix . the pull springs I use are not overly strong . but 2 springs pulling on a common swing mount , with lube and routing detail , make my cables work with smooth easy action . use SUPER LUBE TEFLON BASED LUBRICANT . should drip out of cable end , verifying total coverage in cable. exposing this detail , usually exposes a routing trouble spot . YOU HAVE TO BE FED UP WITH FAILURE TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO STOP IT , just the way i look at  anything ,https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-lubricant-with-syncolon-ptfe,this also comes in a small liquid bottle , perfect for cable lubing , pete

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Snoopy11  those throttle , linkage , cable mounts require  time detailing to get them to work properly . I lubricate and verify EVERY PIECE AND FUNCTION. any rust or hang-up will effect the entire layout . when dealing with any problem area . find a sitting stool look at its intended operation , exposes its fix . the pull springs I use are not overly strong . but 2 springs pulling on a common swing mount , with lube and routing detail , make my cables work with smooth easy action . use SUPER LUBE TEFLON BASED LUBRICANT . should drip out of cable end , verifying total coverage in cable. exposing this detail , usually exposes a routing trouble spot . YOU HAVE TO BE FED UP WITH FAILURE TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO STOP IT , just the way i look at  anything ,https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-lubricant-with-syncolon-ptfe,this also comes in a small liquid bottle , perfect for cable lubing , pete

MONEY!!!:banana-rock:

I love what you said, Pete, "YOU HAVE TO BE FED UP WITH FAILURE TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO STOP IT."

I... have come to that point a time or 2...

Don

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
11 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The bird feeder throttle return spring

I gotta say... that is one :wicked: looking spring... :banana-rock:

Don

peter lena

@Snoopy11  working on wheel horses , coming on 40 years , was fed up with a number of things, electrical  was my black cloud , was not until I  verified every stage of my issue , that i really started to detail the problem away . when you look at how is saposed to work , its a way off. frayed , stretched ,corroded , shorted, poor grounding. went after each area , and just made it better . you have to be fed up , make it better . realize a lot of things I say , upsets a purest , not my intent , but I  always find a way to make something work with solid reliability and very easy function , ISN,T THAT WHAT YOU WANT ? find a lot of insight on this sight , then I look at another members similar repair , without a related opportunity to correct another issue staring right at you . that's just me , like the solid state my horses are in , plan on keeping them that way , pete    

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

:wicked: looking spring... 

I wasn't happy that it was pretty rusted and not sure how long it would have lasted before it broke.  It was outside on that bird feeder for about a decade already.  So when I was at Lowes today picking up some more primer, I spied these in the Hillman drawers.  They are a perfect fit and came with a spare... like I'll be able to find it when I need it! 

image.png.79e6ac22b5ca2c0383f90946633dfac7.png

In spite of as cold and windy as it was today I managed to get the fender pan acid etched, primed and top coated.

The rust craters are going to show through (this was before the acid etch, I made sure they all turned black before painting):

image.png.330c63c89e6fa675a32df794377b8b97.png

I guess I could have gone completely crazy and 'red leaded' them but I would have had to do the entire pan and that would have added at least another day to completion... oh well... can't see them from Long Branch.  Far cry better than 'twas with that rubberized bedliner covering all the rust.

(BTW, those are my Gramps sawhorses that he built maybe ... ohhh... 75 years ago?  or longer.)

image.png.0c776035a5fd1a7c99b51ffef5dd5542.png

image.png.73357d4ea777a0e5fcb373c18a2400d3.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The rust craters are going to show through, I guess I could have gone completely crazy and 'red leaded' them but I would have had to do the entire pan

Jeff, I wish you would have thought to ask me first... this stuff works awesome for that sort of thing... I used it on my hood, and it took out the pits and craters...

Rust-Oleum Automotive 11 oz. Gray Filler Primer Spray-249279 - The Home  Depot

Don

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

this stuff

I used the 'self etching' variety of that.  Not as much 'build', but some... and I did three coats with a light wet sand between.

It's really not quite as bad as it looks in the photos, I believe that as the paint cures and shrinks they will become even less noticeable, and most of the 'bad' stuff is under the seat anyway.

I MIGHT... repeat, MIGHT give it a wet sand in the spring and top coat with some 2K clear.  But I'll likely be satisfied with it as is.

Hey... "It's only a tractor!"  :ychain:

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I used the 'self etching' variety of that.  Not as much 'build', but some... and I did three coats with a light wet sand between.

It's really not quite as bad as it looks in the photos, I believe that as the paint cures and shrinks they will become even less noticeable, and most of the 'bad' stuff is under the seat anyway.

I MIGHT... repeat, MIGHT give it a wet sand in the spring and top coat with some 2K clear.  But I'll likely be satisfied with it as is.

Hey... "It's only a tractor!"  :ychain:

I don't think that it looks bad in the pictures at all... I personally think that it looks really good. :banana-rock:

It just sounded like you were a little disappointed in the way it looks :confusion-confused:

That's why I mentioned the filler primer. 

Don

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

These are coming tomorrow...

image.png.249c0329869c9d1ba77c7fc3cca67d7e.png

• Excellent 4

Snoopy11

top coat with some 2K clear

:text-yeahthat:

I would definitely go that route, particularly as it only takes 1 can to do the whole tractor... and it will certainly protect that glossy red sexy paint job... :P

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

LED's... snazzy!!! B)

Don

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

a little disappointed

No, not really, the end result met my expectations.  But if you look at the reflections, you can see the craters:

image.png.b673d9b8d92925a92b9e7d48cbbf558a.png    image.png.73ee340380d5925eb24329e2fa05caed.png   

And these were taken immediately after painting, hadn't even 'flashed' yet, so they will be minimized at the end of curing.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

snazzy!!!

Yeah buddy... the ones that were on there were only reflectors.  There was a wire the P.O. added back to the rear for a nice LED spot work light so the power is already there, just need to wire 'em in.

I'm going to add a toggle switch under the seat for the spot light so I can run the lights without the spot being on.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Snoopy11

I'm going to add a toggle switch under the seat for the spot light so I can run the lights without the spot being on

Should be easy enough. I like LED's because they are so much brighter, and use less power. 

Personally, on HellHorse, I cannot run charge coils because of the rpms it runs, so I went with rechargeable front and rear LED lights.  :)

They are extremely bright, considering that they are rechargeable... :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

image.png.249c0329869c9d1ba77c7fc3cca67d7e.png

I actually saw those when I was looking for rear lights on my JD that I just built. I wasn't sure how bright they were going to be... so definitely let me know how you like them... I might be investing in some myself if you like them!

Don

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

if you look at the reflections, you can see the craters

Yeah, I see those. The thing about it is, once you get this thing put back together, you won't even notice those. Obviously... being perfectionists... it is easier to see those types of things. BUT... in the big picture, this thing is going to look REALLY cool. :orcs-cheers:

Don

• Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
16 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

definitely let me know how you like them

Will do... and they're only ten bucks, so the investment is only a little more than a pack of smokes... (which by the way ... I'm on the 'patch' now for over 2 weeks.  on 'step 2'.  So the money I'm saving buying those evil things is going directly into my machines. )

I was gonna buy 2 pairs, one set for each machine but figured I would check out the quality first.  I'll probably end up buying another pair.  May even get some for my trailer!  (also available in Amber)

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
10 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Will do... and they're only ten bucks, so the investment is only a little more than a pack of smokes... (which by the way ... I'm on the 'patch' now for over 2 weeks.  on 'step 2'.  So the money I'm saving buying those evil things is going directly into my machines. )

I was gonna buy 2 pairs, one set for each machine but figured I would check out the quality first.  I'll probably end up buying another pair.  May even get some for my trailer!  (also available in Amber)

Smart. Yeah, I wondered about the quality too... considering that there are much more expensive ones out there...?

Good job on quitting smoking. A family member of mine has emphysema... and I guarantee you, that is one nasty disease caused by smoking...

Don

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

emphysema

My motivation was that Doc told me I have it too... still at 97% capacity, and that if I quit smoking now, it shouldn't be much of a problem in the future.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1