So gang, it's Christmas time and my company has extended its forced vacation to two weeks, sucking 7 days of FTO from me. I've got all kinds of things to do for the wifey-poo but what the heck can I do for me?
I've got two K301s so may as well get out the surgical tools and do a b-gearectomy. The C-125 goes first. Restored that back in '17 and so she's got maybe 75 hours on her. It'll be rather painless and the youngster is visiting so can assist in getting that b-itch up onto the bench. She's already been moved to the garage and the old Kawi and its carb parts moved back to the shed while I search for tiny o-rings. Wish me luck and pics to come. Oh, there is no rattle BUT she's always had a minor knock I chalk-up to excessive end play (didn't measure it back then 'cause I'm bad but, dang!, will now).
I put together a replacement for the missing clutch handle today. I like it so much I'm going to make one for my C-175 also!
Now I need to figure out how come it's not staying DISengaged. It EASILY jumps off the detent at the slightest touch. It appears to be a new bracket / lever, judging from the paint on it, but I have not investigated further yet. Wonder if anyone has run into this and solved it?
What is the correct routing for the throttle cable? This just CAN'T be correct! It's right on the cooling fins of the engine, it's done melted the skin off the cable! Maybe it's a replacement cable and simply too short?
If someone could post a pic of the correct routing it would be much appreciated!
While looking that over I noticed some oil 'weepage' at the front of the engine. To me it appears to be concentrated right under the fuel pump. I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?
The only other suspect is the valve cover but and that appears to be a little weepy too, but more so the fuel pump.
What say you K301 gurus?
Wheel horse c-125 with kohler 301 engine wont fire but turns over. I have made sure there is fuel getting to the engine and there is a strong enough spark to start it. Also we have good enough compression.
So what is the problem?
I was finally able to take a week off and lost myself in catching-up on the '80 C-125. I've had the engine sitting rebuilt on the bench - repaired the Hi/Lo last year - and was finally able to run her in last Tuesday after mounting. She only needed rings and a good valve lap. There is no end to the money that can be spent on a restoration or the amount of time in grinding, priming and painting with old Regal Red. At this rate, it will be summer before I'm done but it will have been worth the love. The 42" deck can use some minor welding but I had everything operational before I tore her down. Too much repair to list as this poor girl was buried in a southern backyard. Enjoy the pics - August last year after dragging it onto the trailer, this past Tuesday for break-in and just a few minutes ago. Back to work tomorrow so no more fun all day in the garage but should at least have the covers on when the Jacks belt and PTO brake order gets here later in the week.
Last weekend I drug home a C-125 parts tractor to molest for parts for my C-161 that I got going a while back. It had all the things that the old 161 was needing: good seat, good clutch plate, better tires, and most importantly, GOOD ORIGINAL NELSON MUFFLER! Someone long ago put one of those stupid pepper pot pieces of crap on it and I nearly went deaf when I mowed with it for the first time last weekend.
Just got the muffler swapped over, and HOLY CRAP you never realize how loud something is until it's not loud anymore. What an insane difference that thing makes! I'd say at least a 40% reduction in noise. That muffler alone was worth the $100 I paid for the parts tractor.