Jump to content
Pullstart

D-180 Predator engine swap / mini project

Recommended Posts

Pullstart

Well, my buddy sends me a picture last night and is now the proud owner of a D-180 with an ARK550 and Brantley Back Hoe.  Seems we have been discussing ‘hoes quite a bit lately...

 

@Wheel Horse 3D @ebinmaine @wallfish @roadapples 

 

I am looking, but haven’t found any detailed threads about swapping a 22 hp predator into a D series.  This has one broken rod and who knows what other damage internally, so for speed of putting this to use, I think my buddy is going the Predator route.

 

Here are the pictures and details he sent me...

 

 

 

 

982308A6-2E3B-4729-BA42-243B53CF39A3.jpeg

199C34AD-3C58-4D97-9C4F-20EAB695CBBD.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples

Still not a bad price, all things considered....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

Agreed. Could be interesting. I'll tag along.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??

I would think shoehorning a Pred in there might be a job? Don't you need a PTO both sides? Any chance of saving the 482 or perhaps stumbling on a used one? Lots of older trenchers and the like used that motor. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples

Mine is a C160. I have never wished for more power than that K341...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

Nice unit…

 

Can predator handle the pto requirements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

I might suggest looking for another similar engine, but it’s been discussed here somewhere, that the Predator has similar ball bearings even though it’s not side load rated.  @WildmanC120?  Did you install a normal bell PTO on your predator swap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

Whatever he does with it, he lives 2.0 miles from me and I told him whenever he’s done with his projects... just go ahead and drop it off here and I’ll likely buy it.  We discussed value of attachments and scarcity of them as well and decided it was worth the asking price.  He got a little off, but paid close to what was advertised.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Wheel Horse 3D

Well worth the price! Dagnabbit!:bitch:lol Great score!:bow-blue:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
seuadr

i saw that listed, made me sad i'm saving for a house :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

I might suggest looking for another similar engine, but it’s been discussed here somewhere, that the Predator has similar ball bearings even though it’s not side load rated.  @WildmanC120?  Did you install a normal bell PTO on your predator swap?

Likelihood is the PTO will only be driving the hydraulic pump for the loader/back hoe. That could be direct drive without a clutch, that is what I did on my loader.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pacer
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

driving the hydraulic pump for the loader/back hoe. That could be direct drive without a clutch

 

Yes, all the D series hyd are driven off the flywheel with the eng turned sideways, the PTO (depending on application) is driven off the front in the 'conventional' manner (with side load)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Likelihood is the PTO will only be driving the hydraulic pump for the loader/back hoe. That could be direct drive without a clutch, that is what I did on my loader.


Good point.  The ‘hoe has it’s own pump driven from the PTO shaft out back.  We could easily add two shaft driven pulleys for the front and rear pumps and call it a day.  The only use for this machine is to run either front or rear hydraulics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

I just ran over to my buddy’s house and met the seller @Cahotae32 I believe.  After Cody left Bryan asked me if I’d drive it out of the garage stall to park it outside for the meantime.  It’s certainly a big monster to scoot around!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

It’s certainly a big monster to scoot around!

With the FEL on the front and the back how behind it must be like turning a battleship.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Shynon

@82Caddy can probably help as he has done this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
MikMacMike
On 5/6/2021 at 7:30 AM, pullstart said:

Well, my buddy sends me a picture last night and is now the proud owner of a D-180 with an ARK550 and Brantley Back Hoe.  Seems we have been discussing ‘hoes quite a bit lately...

 

@Wheel Horse 3D @ebinmaine @wallfish @roadapples 

 

I am looking, but haven’t found any detailed threads about swapping a 22 hp predator into a D series.  This has one broken rod and who knows what other damage internally, so for speed of putting this to use, I think my buddy is going the Predator route.

 

Here are the pictures and details he sent me...

 

 

 

 

982308A6-2E3B-4729-BA42-243B53CF39A3.jpeg

199C34AD-3C58-4D97-9C4F-20EAB695CBBD.jpeg

WOW.....BINGO!!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Wheel Horse 3D
9 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

WOW.....BINGO!!!!

I know! Right?!!!!!

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??

Just for FYI Kev a guy here has a older Yazoo for sale that I believe has a good running Kohler twin on it. Asking 700 for the whole mower but bet I could get it for alot less. Was thinking about a possible replacement for a KT19 on the Super C. 

20210507_084149[1].jpg

20210507_084158[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart
Posted (edited)

@WHX24 here as in WI, or here as in RedSquare?  What’s a yazoo?
 

auto correct said yahoo.  I know a yahoo is an Uncle Jim like creature.

Edited by pullstart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I know a yahoo is an Uncle Jim like creature

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, pullstart said:

know a yahoo is an Uncle Jim like creature.

Not too far off there! :D

 

In Wi here just down the street from my office. 

 

Yazoo = Old skool z turn dude.... Now you gonna make me go look for pics.  Really old ones had Wisconsin vertical twins. Steered like Dan's Swisher

cbcd7ab9cf03ff0534663c154ed747a8.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

A C-175 popped up on CL with a bunch of accessories for nearly half of that Yahoo, I sent him the link...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
82Caddy

Late to the party and I didn’t read everything. 
 

What questions do you have @pullstart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

@82Caddy hey Reid!  Hope all is well.  My buddy bought a D-180 with one broken rod in it.  We’re weighing the options of a Predator swap.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...