OldWorkHorse
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Cleaning up nicely!

That she did hard to tell 50+ years old... prob lost about 20lbs in grease and dirt my back will thank me when I have to re lift it to set it back down haha. 

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Broke out the new grinder today to cut up some 1/4" steel plate to work on a transmission mount. So far coming along.

20210107_134423.jpg

20210107_151853.jpg

20210107_153451.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Niiiice

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Trans mount all cut out still needs to be trimmed but it's all bolted up and even lol. 

@ebinmaine yours is all drawn up just got to cut on lines! Simple!

20210111_152235.jpg

20210107_153451.jpg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Trans mount all cut out still needs to be trimmed but it's all bolted up and even lol. 

@ebinmaine yours is all drawn up just got to cut on lines! Simple!

20210111_152235.jpg

20210107_153451.jpg

Nice work on that Steve.

I'm leaning more and more towards doing just what you are there. You can feel free to cut down the solid yellow line near the middle but I'm not positive about the bolt holes yet.

OldWorkHorse

Sounds good

2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You can feel free to cut down the solid yellow line near the middle but I'm not positive about the bolt holes yet.

Sounds good I'll cut it down just a reminder it will be half inch wider then the frame either side and length will have to b trimmed to ur liking. Just easy to cut off then add back on lol

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Sounds good

Sounds good I'll cut it down just a reminder it will be half inch wider then the frame either side and length will have to b trimmed to ur liking. Just easy to cut off then add back on lol

Sounds good to me sir

• Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse

Got the front tires (22x7-10) mounted on the 1257Heavy so I can see how the turn is and put engine on and start mocking up my exhaust, little to cold for pain in my shop so gona get all the fab work done 1st paint it all in spring. 🤞 but looking pretty good so far and the parts pile keeps growing eveyweek I have it apart. 🍺 Here's to hoping for warmer weather soon!

20210204_133608.jpg

20210204_140320.jpg

20210204_140302.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Looks good. That should have raised it maybe 2, 2.5 in?

• Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse

A little update on the 1257HEAVY, been a little bit since I've done anything to it. But today I found some free time and did up some of the wiring. It now has battery power from where it was relocated under the seat to the dash and starter. The neutral kill switch is wired and working prefect and the dashboard power terminals are wired up and working great. And the headlights are all wired and working, they have running light setting high and low beams also flashing Hazzard lights i thought that was pretty preety cool. Just need to do ignition and the engine and wiring should be done. As for the rest of the unit it needs clutch pedal to be modified and a belt housing modified and installed and some paint. And then a look over make sure I haven't forgot anything in all of my away time from it. But she's coming along great and hope to have it running and driving here very soon! Hope everyone has been well!

@ebinmainecheck it out. Coming along nicely!

20231005_133429.jpg

20231005_144722.jpg

20231005_164532.jpg

20231005_164544.jpg

20231005_164555.jpg

20231005_164609.jpg

20231005_164701.jpg

20231005_164740.jpg

20231005_165859.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Well it is with great pleasure I can say that that 1257Heavy is wired up and RUNNING! With a little help from @ebinmaine I managed to wire up my 1st tractor from scratch, and a starter generator one at that. I don't mind re wiring stuff but from scratch isn't my Forte. So now I just have to wait for new pulleys to come in and next big thing on list is getting the drive belt installed and working. Still have a bunch of stuff to finish but it's small things and buttoning up. Just crazy to think this machine came over to me as a frame and engine with front wheels to hear it run for 1st time since I got it really made me happy and gave me a push to get back into my wheelhorses, life have been crazy the past year and a half and extremely hard to say the least, and it has kept me away from my stable but hopfuly soon things will settle down and I can find some wrench time again. 

P.s I don't know how to post videos here so I posted a screen shot of the video of it running and it like Vroom vroom crackle pop!

Screenshot_20231016_182310_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

AWESOME 

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Did a little quality control on the 1257HEAVY today. Went over all the nuts and bolts to make sure they were all tightened down and re torqued the transmission housing bolts. Finished up the exhaust and installed that for final fit. Pulled the engine pulley off to make room for the new 1. Will be doing the same to the transmission one as well. 

20231018_150708.jpg

20231018_142751.jpg

20231018_163749.jpg

20231018_164104.jpg

20231018_164119.jpg

20231018_164128.jpg

20231018_164201.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

@OldWorkHorse

Please post the pictures of the VR and S/G you have. 

@Achto @953 nut @pfrederi

I know you folks have mixed experience on tractor 12V systems.  

Can you help me help Steve by verifying connections and asking the right questions to confirm his tractor is hooked up right?

I think he has an aftermarket voltage regulator on this 12 horse Kohler.

Here are Steve's notes so far:

F on the generator is running to F on the VR. 

A on generator running to solenoid. 

The Diagram shows a yellow jumper from A on generator to GEN tab on VR and that one I'm not sure about so that TAB has nothing on it.  

The R on the ignition switch is running down to BAT on the VR. 

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

The wire schematic I used to wire it is the last photo. It also runs and starts fine as it is right now. Just didn't no if needed that A on generator to Gen yellow wire for charging or anything. Or to no if I messed anything up. Thanks in advance!

20231020_151459.jpg

20231016_141721.jpg

20231016_141527.jpg

20231020_154722.jpg

Screenshot_20231016_134802_Chrome.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Thanks in advance!

And we hardly need remind you that the GROUND for the S/G is not on that diagram but oughta be!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

And we hardly need remind you that the GROUND for the S/G is not on that diagram but oughta be!

Both Steve and the tractor should be well grounded ... 🙂

Our source of confusion is the difference in wiring harness between a Wheel Horse 4 terminal VR as shown in the diagram...

And the 3 terminal VR that's on his engine.  

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Both Steve and the tractor should be well grounded ... 🙂

Our source of confusion is the difference in wiring harness between a Wheel Horse 4 terminal VR as shown in the diagram...

And the 3 terminal VR that's on his engine.  

Tractor yes... Me still to be determined.

• Haha 2

953 nut

It appears that you are using an automotive three post regulator which will work just fine. Hiere is a diagram showing the wiring from a 1956 GM car using the Delco VR. The "A to GEN" and "BAT" wires should be at least 12 AWG and preferably 10 AWG.

Ignition switch "B" should connect to "BAT" terminal and that wire should be fused at 30 amps.

Lights and other accessory loads can be connected to the "A: terminal of the ignition switch.

1955 Buick Generating System - Hometown Buick

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Ignition switch "B" should connect to "BAT"

I'm not reading the generic schematic diagram that way. 

Can you please confirm your thoughts on connection?

Looks like VR "BAT" is running to ignition switch "R" .... (?)

953 nut
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not reading the generic schematic diagram that way. 

Can you please confirm your thoughts on connection?

Looks like VR "BAT" is running to ignition switch "R" .... (?)

The drawing I did for the reference section is using the four terminal S/G type VR, in this case we are looking at a three terminal automotive VR so we follow the GM automotive schematic.  The "Armature" terminal on the S/G still goes to the GEN terminal of the S/G,  The "Field" terminal from the S/G still goes to the Field terminal of the VR and the "BAT" terminal of the VR is still connected to the Battery. I don't know what ignition switch @OldWorkHorse is using but if it is a 103-990 then the BAT terminal of the VR could go to the "R" terminal of the ignition switch so it would be disconnected with the key in the off position. The only thing missing on the automotive V/R is the "L" terminal which feeds lights and accessories, this is now done with the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.

1955 Buick Generating System - Hometown Buick

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I don't know what ignition switch @OldWorkHorse is using but if it is a 103-990 then the BAT terminal of the VR could go to the "R" terminal of the ignition switch so it would be disconnected with the key in the off position. The only thing missing on the automotive V/R is the "L" terminal which feeds lights and accessories

Yes I fo belive that's the switch off top my head, I have it hooked up the way u say. My only other question you might have a answer to is, how do I check to see if it's sending charge back to the battery? As for the L I'm not using that as I put after market lights on it with there own wire harness 

Edited by OldWorkHorse

953 nut
1 minute ago, OldWorkHorse said:

, how do I check to see if it's sending charge back to the battery?

Just hook up a volt meter to the BAT terminal while the key is on but not running, record this voltage then start the engine and bring it up to half throttle and if the voltage is higher you are charging. If yiu are not using the GENERATOR lioght you may want to put in a volt meter.

OldWorkHorse
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Just hook up a volt meter to the BAT terminal while the key is on but not running, record this voltage then start the engine and bring it up to half throttle and if the voltage is higher you are charging. If yiu are not using the GENERATOR lioght you may want to put in a volt meter.

I do have a volt meter hooked to battery. And I do also plan to install a GEN light. Just had wrong one at the time of wiring. Thank you again for the info. Trying to learn wiring :scared-shocked:

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Worked a bit more on the 1257 today. Got right size belt after looking in 3 different stores. And made a belt guide for it. Now just need to fix the cover and should be good to go. Picking away at the little things. 

20231022_142002.jpg

20231022_151341.jpg

20231022_170752.jpg

20231022_164144.jpg

20231022_180914.jpg

20231022_181220.jpg

• Excellent 4