D_Mac

Coca - Cola Cooler.

JAinVA

Great find!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Super cool piece.

You may want to experiment with the orange to see if it will come off with chemical and save the red.

squonk

That had a refrigerated unit on the bottom I believe. A cold plate against the bottom of the bin kept the water cold. The gas station across the street growing up had one of those out front. I'd buy a bottle on a hot day and bring a cup with me. I would scoop a cup of water out and pour it over my head! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

D_Mac

I did a little research on it last night. I guess it is a Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler. The early ones like this one didnt have an ID tag on them. Some of the later ones had a stamp on the lid. Mine has no stamp. The later ones 1939 and after had the word " drink" higher above the words Coca Cola. 1935-1938 had the word "Drink" even with the top of the letter, as mine does. So this makes mine a 1935 to 1938 Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler.

• Like 1

D_Mac
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

That had a refrigerated unit on the bottom I believe. A cold plate against the bottom of the bin kept the water cold. The gas station across the street growing up had one of those out front. I'd buy a bottle on a hot day and bring a cup with me. I would scoop a cup of water out and pour it over my head! :occasion-xmas:

They made the Water cooled ones and the Ice ones. Mine is an Ice cooled. Going to go out there soon and see what I can do to mess it up. I will try my hardest !!! I even have some old wooden Coca Cola crates to go on the shelves under it when I am done. Dont know where I am going to put it but lets worry about that later. I have had a few other Coke coolers in the past. Heres a few.

20170306_163058.jpg

20170817_182909_resized.jpg

20170817_182942_resized.jpg

20160728_162309_resized.jpg

• Like 3

squonk

The one I grew up with was just like yours but it was plugged in. No ice. I'm sure it was a much later version. It had the 2 door lid and nothing but water inside. I know it was electric because the fan always rattled. I'm thinking maybe it was built in the 50's. It looked the one pictured on the left.

1940-Westinghouse-brochure-1.jpg.1c2d79dad29a95c7a1dcd012920d11a4.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

You guys probably already know this but collecting vintage Coke stuff is big business. They got their own clubs, forums, secret hand shakes you name it, the whole nine yards. The way they go at it makes us red collectors look like a bunch of pansies. Once at a tractor show flea market I saw two guys almost going to fisticuffs over a piece I woulda passed on as junk. Course a couple a rows down a guy had some horse stuff.... :violence-blades::)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

The IH collectors seem to have a "tude" around my neck of the woods! :helmet:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

The IH collectors seem to have a "tude" around my neck of the woods! :helmet:

That and silly pricing is what got me into Wheelhorse in the first place and I haven't looked back since.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Im not a Coke collector, I just collect neat old stuff. Plus I will buy anything that I think is a good deal. That explains why I have no more room for anything. I am going to try and rush to get this done. Its my mothers 80th birthday coming up. Even though her Bday isnt until the end of the month, we are having a picnic for her on Monday. Her sister is here from out of state so we are having it early. I would like to have this done by Monday. See if I can make it happen. I just finished sanding it I am off to the hardware store for paint and supplies. Going to get it in primer today.

• Like 2

bc.gold

This old pop cooler is less than 3 minutes from my home, old farm house is surrounded by caraganna a very invasive species brought over with the homesteaders used as a wind break.

Refrigeration unit would more than likely had an induction repulsion motor and used sulphur dioxide as the refrigerant..

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

h8.jpg

h9.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Got it in primer and started brushing on some paint on the bottom. Way to hot out. Sweat pouring down my face burning my eyes had to call it quits for a little while.

20200702_115326.jpg

20200702_115313.jpg

20200702_115346.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

Well upon further investigation it appears it is not a Westinghouse. It is a 1937 Cavalier. I saw the stamp on the inside of the chest. You can see it on the photo above. Bottom right corner.... T-37-6. T = Cavalier. 37 = 1937. 6 = June. Got it all painted today except for the lettering. See how steady my hand is tomorrow.

20200702_183247.jpg

20200702_173817.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Check out that compressor in BC's pic Mike @squonk How'd you like to have to resto that! R-12 I bet! 

• Excellent 1

squonk
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Check out that compressor in BC's pic Mike @squonk How'd you like to have to resto that! R-12 I bet! 

12 or 502! :helmet: We had a big ol wooden freezer in our barn when I was a kid. Hadn’t run in years. I was about 10 when I tore into that compressor. Boy did it stink!   Sulphur Dioxide!

• Excellent 1

bc.gold

20200702-180351.jpg

D_Mac

Well, let me just say it hasnt been the best weather to be painting on the driveway with no shade. I got it done though. I learned that I dont have a steady hand or very good eyesight to be trying to paint the lettering by hand. It looks good at 10 feet but looks a mess close up. The more I try and fix it the worse it gets. The added bonus was there is lettering on all 4 sides !! Going to get some weather stripping to put under the lid and need to replace the bottle opener yet. Much harder then it looks trying to paint the lettering. I wont ever try that again. Next time I will look for vinyl lettering. So hot out there .... I need a Pepsi

20200703_134903.jpg

20200703_134042.jpg

20200703_133926.jpg

20200703_133942.jpg

20200703_133954.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

Tomorrow I will spray it with clear, inside and out. I need to look for some weather stripping for under the lids. I found a Coca Cola bottle opener I had and put that on. Needs the cap catcher, there is one on Ebay for 220 bucks !!! I am thinking I am just going to use a tin can.

oliver2-44

Well @D_Mac I have one just like it.

This one was in my Dads Airport Hanger when he started the LaGrange Airport on our farm in 1949.

It's original with just a buff and wax of the red.  I did clean and clear coat the inside of the cooler.

806156760_IMG_37681.JPG.82e2d1a5f01677572e59918102f73198.JPG1648471869_IMG_37691.JPG.a81f810daf95e93aa44a2ac086d301c8.JPG

This is the bottomside of the lid, still in amazing color/shape.

730450300_IMG_37701.JPG.1ff373f6de58f0b370d6747bf428e7b2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

@oliver2-44 Pretty cool, they have the same stamp on the inside T-37-6. My lid is different, I dont have lettering on mine. We both are missing the cup to catch the bottle caps. Yours looks great, keep it original. Someone painted mine orange so I had to paint it., otherwise I love the old original look. Does yours have a rubber seal around the lid?

oliver2-44

@D_Mac Yes, mine has a rubber seal around the lid.

Amazing that they were made in the same year and month, what the odds. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
12 hours ago, D_Mac said:

@oliver2-44 Pretty cool, they have the same stamp on the inside T-37-6. My lid is different, I dont have lettering on mine. We both are missing the cup to catch the bottle caps. Yours looks great, keep it original. Someone painted mine orange so I had to paint it., otherwise I love the old original look. Does yours have a rubber seal around the lid?

The gasket profiles below are most commonly used to refurbish the seal on the ice box used on vintage sail boats and for this reason is still available.

Your Coka Cola ice box cooler probably used one of these styles which are available here.

custum.png

Edited by bcgold

D_Mac

Well I went to the hardware store this AM to try and find some sort of rubber seal for the lid. I picked up some window seal. Not the best but it will do for now and it was cheap. Going to bring the cooler to my mothers picnic on Monday. After the picnic I will look for something better.The holes were already there to screw it down. I put a new bottle opener I had on it as the one it came with was broken and I made a cap catcher out of a plastic paint tray and painted it  " chrome ". Works for now. Now I am going to get a few cases of Coke to put it in. Came out OK. I wish it was all original like yours @oliver2-44 . @bcgold I will look for better gasket after the party. I needed it done in a hurry so this works for now.

20200704_133359.jpg

20200704_133408.jpg

20200704_133424.jpg

20200701_202406.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Heart 3

D_Mac

Edited by D_Mac