JCM

Ice out, summer and fall Southern & Northern Maine Fishing

JCM

Found some pics of some Fishing adventures in the state of Maine on 4  different bodies of Freshwater.Now that the days are getting progressively longer something to look forward to.

Fishing 1.jpg

Fishing 2.jpg

Fishing 3.jpg

Fishing.jpg

P1012584.jpg

P1012592.JPG

P1012781.JPG

P1012779.JPG

Edited by JCM
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Nice looking stuff there Jim.

Been a few minutes since I was fishin'.

Never caught a small mouth....

Up near me there's 3 ponds with NO bass limit because the IFW wants them as trout fisheries.

Decent large mouths in at least one.

• Like 2

JCM

Two total different retrievals, the fight of a Smallmouth  vs Largemouth Bass, both lots of fun, but those smallies are something to experience.I know we have talked about fishing together we just need to put the wrenches down and DO IT.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, JCM said:

fishing together

You're on!!

• Thanks 1

ZXT

Looks fun! 

I'm not sure I was alive yet when some of those pictures were taken! :lol:

• Haha 3

The Tuul Crib

Ya gotta luv those smallies !! I love to 

get in my chest waders and flick a few 

flies ! Good stuff jim and thanx for the 

tantalizing pictures! What about the 

pike and muskies?

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

JCM

@ZXT      Those pictures aren't as old as you may think, tell me how old you are and I will tell you how old these pics are.

JCM

@The Tool Crib   I think Pike are in Maine only due to illegal introduction and have not set out to pursue them, and as far as Muskies have never heard of them being in Maine.

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, JCM said:

@The Tool Crib   I think Pike are in Maine only due to illegal introduction and have not set out to pursue them, and as far as Muskies have never heard of them being in Maine.

Both of those are correct. There are muskies in southern New Hampshire.

Pike are not native to Maine but they are here.

On the bass lakes I mentioned above there is a rule in the ifw book saying you must kill the bass you take from those ponds.

I'm not sure if ALL Pike are like that but I know in some Waters they are.

• Thanks 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, JCM said:

just need to put the wrenches down and DO IT.

Don't I hear ya there Jim. Dan @Achto and I have been known to do a little fishing but so busy with tractor shows in the summer, work in the winter and keeping the missuses happy with the honeydos lucky we get out once a year! 

Some pics of past fish here..I'll let you guys ID the species... :lol:

100_1544.JPG

100_2756.JPG

100_2664.jpg

100_3328.JPG

100_2304.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

@WHX24

Couple nice monsters there.

Bottom one a sturgeon?

I already know the top one. That's a guppy.

• Haha 3

WHX??
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Bottom one a sturgeon?

Yup... sturgeon & venison ...Wisconsin surf & turf...:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I think JCM 's bass pictures are all Small Mouth.  Love the brook trout, excellent pan fried in butter.  The big trout looks like a Laker, and that lake sure looks like Big Tunk Lake to me.  We did a lot of fishing in Maine while I was there.  One pond near the Naval Base was Jone's Pond.  It was a Small Mouth lake, but I've caught Land Lock Salmon, Chain Pickeral and an ocassional Pumpkin Seed.  Flander's Pond was another lake we fished...lots of eels in that one.  Little Tunk Lake was the Brook Trout Lake.  I think I might have a bunch of fish pictures from Maine...I would have to scan them.  Is that Big Tunk???   :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Those are some great lookin crappie! 
Had a lake back in lowa we caught 

3 and 4 pounders all day long. 

• Like 1

JCM

@stevasaurus    You are correct that is a Laker or better known in Maine as a Togue. That Laker was caught and released at Sebago Lake. Water temp was 32 and air temp was 34. Put in at 5 am in the dark and fished till noon. Lately I prefer being in front of the Woodstove during those temps and not having to get out of bed around 2 am to make this happen. Have heard of Big Tunk Lake but have not been there. Bass were as you mentioned, Smallmouth. Would love to see your pics of Maine fishing sometime. A scanner would be the right way to do it, not the way i have been doing it.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I'll do some digging...I might even have a shot of that Chain Pickeral...it was just over 24"...which I understand is a good size for that species.  Hottest lure I ever found was the Super Duper...I still have a few of those...they don't make them anymore.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Jim. Burnt Meadow Pond Brownfield. There before Dawn in May or June. Jump in the canoe and go out just two or three hundred feet and try to make the largemouth angry. As the sun comes up you get a background of Burnt Meadow Mountain which I've hiked many times. Absolutely one of the most beautiful places in this area.

Steve you are correct that a 24 inch chain pickerel is a big'un...

I've seen a couple around 17 or 18 and they fight like angry dragons when they're in the right mood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

Here was me at a local lake couple summers ago. 1st cast. I love fishing with all the girls in my house going out and just chillin and kickin back on the shore is one of my favorite past times!

IMG_1481.JPG

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 4

WHX??
32 minutes ago, JCM said:

better known in Maine as a Togue

The dickens you say... here we just call them lakers or lake trout...

FOTCDBC.JPG

FOT3DAF.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

@bottjernat1  Now that picture of yours looks like a large mouth...could be a Kentucky Bass.  What do you think??  Jim's got a large mouth just above the black crappies and pumpkinseed picture.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'll just put a couple up tonight.  These are scanned from slides.  :orcs-cheers:

Believe it or not, that is me backing the boat into Jone's Pond.  All these fish are out of that pond.

Here is that 24" Chain Pikeral I promised.  Looks like we caught a lot more of those Pike then I remember.  The others are Small Mouth Bass.  I doubt many on here have seen a Chain Pickeral,  you can really see the chain markings in these fish.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

We had some great fish fries back in those days.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Holy crap Dino you was a pretty good looking fit dude in those days. What the hell happened! :ychain:

I'M busting a gut here on the  beetle with the SS USN 7 boat! Guessing the boat was gotten from  MWR?

MWR is a place where sailors could go rent  recreational stuff fellas....pretty much real low cost if not free, Uncle Sam was taking care of his boys,  boats, fishin  poles you name it. Short for Morale, Welfare, Recreation. 

JCM has got me worked up proper for some  hard water action Steve and Dan ..... anytime you boys want lemme know.  Some slab Crappies... 40 inch pike possible? Won't be for lack of tryin. 

I got every weekend off now till the next tractor show damn the weekend on call emergencies. .. they can wait till I sober up or get off the ice ....which ever comes first :lol:

Looks like we won't be sturgeon stabbing. ..if I can't drive out won't be going ... no sense in hauling all the gear to marginal ice for a fish you can't eat! Dammed global warming! 

Not to steal your thread Jim but you brought all this fishin nonsense up! 

Edited by WHX24
Add
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT
14 hours ago, JCM said:

@ZXT      Those pictures aren't as old as you may think, tell me how old you are and I will tell you how old these pics are.

I'm 22. I figure at least the first couple of pictures you posted were from a film camera, so I automatically thought 90's. Could definitely be newer though.

JCM

@WHX24    Jim  you can steal my threads anytime, lifes to short to worry about that stuff. Great pics you posted also. Keep em coming.

• Like 1

JCM

@ZXT   Now its your turn young man, these dates are from memory but should be close. Pic  #1, 2004    2,   1999   3 ,  2000   4,   2002   5,     2013   6,    2013   7,   2016   8,   2016 .

• Like 1