dells68

Boiled linseed oil attempt 2

The Tuul Crib

Wow! That is a real nice finish. So you used boiled linseed oil during the sanding?

• Thanks 1

dells68
24 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Wow! That is a real nice finish. So you used boiled linseed oil during the sanding?

I sanded with water first.  Then, I coated with boiled linseed oil cut with just a little mineral spirits.  After it’s wiped down the finish will be more soft and aged looking.  It just brings out the beauty of mother nature’s work.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

Shynon

Looke excellent @dells68. Can't wait to see it at the show this year.

• Thanks 1

dells68
31 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Looke excellent @dells68. Can't wait to see it at the show this year.

Thanks Tom!  I know we’ve probably met at previous shows, but it will be nice to put a face with someone who’s become a good friend I just haven’t met yet (or didn’t realize I’d met:wh:)!

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Looks good Dells.  I've seen several comments about people using oil for a finish and wondered what they used?

I was using Tung Oil finish on my rocking horse today, I'll have to go wipe some on a piece of sheet metal and see how it does.  However I've always thought of it for interior finishes, i wonder how it would do with moisture.

@Dells after it's dried thoroughly, can I ask you to test a small inconspicuous spot of your Boiled Linsead Oil finish with some simulated rain water?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
16 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I just went down and wiped the oil down.  I’ve been letting it sit overnight, but this will give you an idea of the sheen it leaves @The Tool Crib.  It’ll dry down a bit more, but will still keep a luster.

F0E101C0-88CA-44B6-A927-1B9DBFCC385D.jpeg

F13227FE-CB7B-4947-B013-B9F0B75C7788.jpeg

That is a really nice look Dells. Is that something that you could spray clear over or would you have to keep applying boiled linseed oil to the surface?

• Thanks 1

rjg854

That's a nice finish, really like that. I just might try that on the next tractor. 

• Thanks 1

dells68
13 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

That is a really nice look Dells. Is that something that you could spray clear over or would you have to keep applying boiled linseed oil to the surface?

Thanks Crib.  I would be hesitant to try to clear over it, even after it had sat for quite a while.  I would think you’d have to remove all of it to keep the clear from fisheying.  Most of the rat rod patina guys reflag every 45-60 days on their rides.  I would love hunk stored indoors that this should last longer than that.  What’s nice about it is that it gives all surfaces a nice deep color - even cast parts like axles or transmissions.  It just doesn’t take away the originality that clear coat does.

• Like 2

dells68
49 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I was using Tung Oil finish on my rocking horse today, I'll have to go wipe some on a piece of sheet metal and see how it does.

I may be wrong, but I think ting oil would be very similar to regular linseed oil and dry tacky leaving a coating that would collect dust.  From what I’ve read, that’s why it is important to use boiled linseed oil - to avoid a sticky surface when dried.

8ntruck

Remember - linseed and tung oil soaked rags can self ignite if left wadded up.

It is best to hang the rags or lay them out until the oil cures before disposing of them.

I was using linseed oil to finish some red wood a long time ago.  I left the oil soaked rag wadded up in the sun for 10 or 20 minutes.  When I came back and picked the rag up, the center of the rag was hot to the touch.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 4

12Horse Paladin
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It is best to hang the rags or lay them out until the oil cures before disposing of them.

I was using linseed oil to finish some red wood a long time ago.  I left the oil soaked rag wadded up in the sun for 10 or 20 minutes.  When I came back and picked the rag up, the center of the rag was hot to the touch.

Yup.😉

• Like 1

dells68
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Yup.  That’s why there is a little black spot in the gravel outside of the garage.  I usually burn all thinner or oil soak rags each night before I quit.  Laquer thinner has been known to do the same thing!  I don’t like to leave them lying around just for that reason.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 1

peter lena

like your result, i regularly oil feed rust starved metal , just to salvage it , its the easiest thing you can do to retain metal . every time i see another horse that is covered with neglect , that oil feeding of the paint is my first thought, pete

• Like 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

… Lawyer thinner has been known to do the same thing! ...

Interesting concept, but did you mean lacquer thinner?

• Haha 3

dells68
5 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Interesting concept, but did you mean lacquer thinner?

Yup, dang spell correct!  Hate to admit it, but sometimes it’s good to have a lawyer friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

I havehamd rubbed walnut rifle stocks with boiled linseed. The final coats have powder abrasive added.  Seems like that works for irregular surfaces.  After the abrasive is used, clean it off and re- oil.

Anybody can practice these methods. Just use the underside of the seat pan or hood until you discover what works. As good as the pictures look, the real thing looks even better

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
   11 hours ago,  dells68 said: 

… Lawyer thinner has been known to do the same thing

——————-

“Lawyer Thinner”...

Now that is a product I would like to get a large supply of...where do you buy it???

:ROTF:

• Haha 2
  • Heart 1

dells68
On 1/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:
   11 hours ago,  dells68 said: 

… Lawyer thinner has been known to do the same thing

——————-

“Lawyer Thinner”...

Now that is a product I would like to get a large supply of...where do you buy it???

:ROTF:

Can’t reveal my sources - might get a letter in the mail or a lawsuit!

• Haha 2

rjg854

I like it Dells :music-rockon:

Nice satin finish, any idea how long it might last before you need to do it again?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Well did, Kid!  That’s what I always tell my monsters, figured I’d share with a fellow teacher and dad! :laughing-rofl:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Some how missed this thread early Dells but that tractor looks great! 

I had taken Tom's advice on the linseed thing more than once and it does look nice but one thing I have found is it does attractor, pun intended, dust. It does protect the metal tho. This 'Burb was done like that. I'd say at least once a year rjg. @Shynonwill chime in.

20160813_165602.jpg

Matter of fact fellas this girl is in the shop right now trying to get the Clinton to run even half @ssed......and a refresh on the patina. OK I know how out you guys are hard on yer pics ... Pullstart told me to to tell you Dells stuff it ...not tryin to steal your thread.. as @JCM said it's all good! :lol:

20160813_165206.jpg

20200114_172810-1.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 8

dells68

Thanks guys!  @WHX24 I wondered if it would attract dust.  Well, for the use most of my machines get, it should be fine.  @rjg854 I’m not sure on longevity, I’d suspect Jim is dead on with at least once a year, maybe twice if you have to wash it up very often.  Right now, I’m digging the look because I don’t feel like I’ve done anything to hurt the originality of the tractor.

• Thanks 1