NikW

Paps old wheel horse

NikW
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's a single cylinder engine so it isn't a 20.

Perhaps a typo...

I thought the same thing. I was hoping it’s the same as the 10 horse that’s on the tractor now. I love spare parts. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

NickW :WRS: As you can see already there is lots of help and good people here. Enjoy the site.

PeacemakerJack
37 minutes ago, NikW said:

the tractor comes with a snowblower that doesn’t look the prettiest and a garden plow...

WAIT!  You had me at garden plow! SOLD!  :ROTF: well me an @WHX22 and @Achto and @prondzy and @Shynon and a few other plow dogs...

Welcome to the forum!  Great to have you aboard and with such a cool look to the past with your dad’s tractor and the vision to the future with your boys!  I have a similar story with my dad and his 875 WH. We restored his about 5 years ago and there is a full write up on that in the restorations section.  Each one of my kiddos has their own GT and we get to play on them and work them regularly.  Yea, I started with one but like the guys have mentioned already, they are like potato chips, you can’t just have one!

4198FB52-B984-4085-B1C7-FDCC3AB14809.jpeg.57344e7b03c1d7ecacf84c0527508d40.jpeg

So...don’t say that we didn’t warn you about how addictive these can be!  The one right in the middle of this picture is a 1982 C series tractor.  I couldn’t stand the looks of these when I first saw them, now I not only like them, but I own one! 

I’ll be following along to see how this plays out...

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
40 minutes ago, NikW said:

we’ll try to make it down Friday if not then real early Saturday. Is the show really from 8:00-3:00?

On Friday they break out the ice cream about 5:00 pm and then the cruising starts about 7:00.

• Heart 1

troutbum70

If it runs and engine does not smoke terrible and sounds good and if tires are usable I still would not go much over $600.00. Quite likely everything will need new belts and that is over a hundred dollars with tractor and snow blower. Also be sure to pull the dip stick, look at the oil and see if it smells burnt or looks bad and same thing with the rear and tranny. the rear may require taking a bolt out under the seat and sticking something in it to get an oil sample.  

• Like 1

NikW

@953 nut that looks awesome! I can’t wait! My son is gonna go crazy. We have a 4 wheeler and a dune buggy and he would pick the tractor every time. Sometimes we just drive around town on our tractor. He loves it! @troutbum63 that’s very good advice. I’m not into trying to rip people off when they’re selling something. I was gonna offer him $500 and not go more then $600. If he doesn’t take the offer I’ll look for another one or save my money for the show. Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

troutbum70

I totally agree on not trying to rip someone off, but it works both ways. You don't want to put a lot out for a tractor that's going to require a lot to get right either. I would like get down to the big show myself, keeping it in my calendar hoping to be free that weekend.

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: Nik

Keep in mind with these tractors  you most times won't get your money back from what you might have in it. if you buy low and don't have to put a lot into it, you certainly get your money back plus the enjoyment of seeing yer little fella run it.  A full blown resto forget it... it's a labor of love

2 hours ago, NikW said:

I love spare parts.

That's always a plus! :)

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, NikW said:

I thought the same thing. I was hoping it’s the same as the 10 horse that’s on the tractor now. I love spare parts. 

Maybe between the two blocks you’ve got 20 horse powers!

• Haha 2

NikW

My goal with this tractor is to have it 100% mechanically correct but it doesn’t have to look the best. It’ll be working most days pulling loads of dirt and fire wood and maybe throwing snow in the winter. I would like to get an old RJ 58 or another B or C to do a full restoration on. Maybe when my boys get a little older. Hey @pullstart I saw somebody stick 2 engines together on a wheel horse so I know it’s possible. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

troutbum70

I wish you well if its the right one for you. If you go the big show you may wish you had waited, just food for thought. Course you can always buy another or two or three or as many as you can carry home hi hi.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
7 minutes ago, NikW said:

doesn’t have to look the best

The hard working :wh:'s never do but that's what makes them the best workers!

8 minutes ago, NikW said:

100% mechanically correct

That really is the main thing, and properly maintained with grease & oil.

• Like 1

NikW

I might end up waiting for the show. Depending on how this one looks once I see it in person. I’m very big on maintenance. First thing I’ll do to this tractor is an oil change and grease everything up. Then I’ll start replacing parts that are worn. I’d like to have extra belts and other wear items like that laying around. I don’t plan on mowing with it but maybe. Regardless I’d like to get the deck and blades all up to spec. The snowblower as well. It always feels good to fix something up. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, NikW said:

It always feels good to fix something up

Oh yeah...

You'll fit in around here just fine.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

NikW

Well everybody I’m officially a wheel horse owner. The seller agreed on $600. It needs a few things and a good bath and she’ll be doing work in no time. The hood is off of it because he said the fuel pump is bad. It’s gravity fed now so it runs and it sounds great. Runs really smooth and no smoke. The oil was pretty clean too. It came with a spare engine that he said is completely rebuilt and never ran. I might rob the fuel pump off it just to get it going and get another fuel pump to put back on the spare engine. I also noticed the bearing in the mule drive is bad so I’ll have to get one of them. But I’m definitely happy with it. Everything works good and it runs great. It has the original tires and there’s no dry rot. He said his grandfather bought it brand new. It’s always been garage kept. I also noticed it has headlights! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Sounds like a great score Nik!

Rebuild kits are available for those metal fuel pumps.

Obviously whatever other questions you have just run them by the folks here and we'll all be happy to help.

Be sure to add... Change ALL fuel line... to your list of things to do to that tractor right away.

Try to find non ethanol gas in your area.

• Like 2

NikW

I have to pick up some fuel line today for my pressure washer and I was gonna get a few extra feet so I can change it on the tractor too. Where is the best place to get parts? I see there’s a diaphragm in that little pump. There’s a place about 20 minutes from me that sells non ethanol gas. When I can’t get that I always mix in the ethanol additive from Lucas and always run 93. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Congrats on your purchase Nik!  Are you planning to bring it to the show, or save room to haul more home?

• Like 2

NikW

@pullstart idk yet. I mean I’d love to have it there and go for a cruise but if I find a good deal on something it’ll be hard to pass up. I think my next one will be something like an RJ 58. I really love the look of them. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, NikW said:

@pullstart idk yet. I mean I’d love to have it there and go for a cruise but if I find a good deal on something it’ll be hard to pass up. I think my next one will be something like an RJ 58. I really love the look of them. 

You can always partially dismantle for loading...  the 4th tractor had about every nut and bolt turned sideways to fit it in the truck!

Rob R
On 5/14/2019 at 10:00 PM, roadapples said:

'bout what I was thinking..

Yup what they said $500 tractor.… 

NikW

That’s great :lol:  and that is true! That was a heck of a load! U need a little trailer. Lol. I’d like to find a set of tire chains and wheel weights when I go down. Idk if I’ll buy another tractor. The mrs will complain for a few days :lol:

NikW

@Rob R I gave $600. I offered that and he said yep I wouldn’t go any lower then that. It came with an extra engine that he said his grandfather did a full rebuild on and it never ran. I’d like to pull the head and take a look at it. There’s clean oil in it. It’s got a coil and fuel pump and carb and everything on it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, NikW said:

I have to pick up some fuel line today for my pressure washer and I was gonna get a few extra feet so I can change it on the tractor too. Where is the best place to get parts? I see there’s a diaphragm in that little pump. There’s a place about 20 minutes from me that sells non ethanol gas. When I can’t get that I always mix in the ethanol additive from Lucas and always run 93. 

I switched over to running line that I can see through mostly for diagnostic reasons.

You can use yellow tag on or there's a blue tinted stuff that I get from A to Z tractor. One of our vendors.

I normally do almost all of my parts shopping online through our own vendors or the guys on this site.

Trina and I keep for tractor right now and likely to more this coming winter so I have my own separate stock of common parts that we always replace.

Fuel pump rebuild kits can be purchased from Then And Now Automotive. They run about $30 or so. Another option is to switch over to a facet style electric pump. I haven't done that on any of mine yet but a lot of the guys really like them.

As to the ethanol. Just keep it out of your tractor. That's really the best thing to do. Non-ethanol gas is almost always 91 octane or higher. The octane rating in a small engine makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, at least in the older ones.

I do realize that a lot of people have no trouble at all with running gasoline with ethanol or just can't get the non ethanol stuff. I've seen way too many negative results of it in the engines and carburetors I've taken apart. I try as hard as I possibly can not to run it.

I can't speak for the Lucas additive having never tried it but I've never seen any proof of any additive from any company anywhere online or in print that actually proves that it removes the ethanol from the gas which is the only way to prevent its negative effects.

Super happy for you that you got that tractor and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

NikW

@ebinmaine thank you for that info! I’m gonna look up a pump rebuild kit now. I know what u mean about the ethanol. It’s nasty stuff. My pressure washer had white chunks of ethanol in the bowl when I got it. And the main jet was clogged with it. I’m gonna take a ride over today and get my tractor jug and my mix jug filled up with non ethanol fuel. I can also get airplane gas that’s non ethanol. I know a few guys that run it in their lawn equipment and swear by it. They said that gas can sit forever and still be good. I’ll definitely keep everybody up to date. Today it’s getting a bath and the hood installed and greased up. Probably an oil change as well the rear oil still looks clean so I’m not gonna change that right away. The engine oil is pretty clean as well but I’m gonna change it anyway. The previous owner said he doesn’t know the last time it was changed cause he only ran it a little bit here and there. 

• Excellent 1