Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

formariz
23 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

That’s why I asked lol. You didn’t ya or ney one or the other so I wasn’t sure what direction to go in. I’ll get more in depth with my guesses from here on out. 

Another cigar for @Ed Kennell

@formariz, we’re there any hoops to jump through to keep it? What ever became of the area it was excavated from?

That hole was throwing off my searches, but if anyone wants to buy a Tangine steaming pot I have several websites for you 😂😂

You are up also since you really had it.

No hoops to jump through. They know that I love anything that has to do with history or heritage so they saved the best one for me. There were only three whole ones with no damage but over 100 broken ones.Museum was pleased with the others since they never had an undamaged one still up to today.New building construction got moved to another area. This well was a pretty ornate structure with decorated wall tiles so it was exposed and preserved. Now, the original find was a vertical well. However inside of same well about 50 feet deep there was another well or horizontal tunnel perpendicular to the well. Attempts have been made over the years to fully investigate it. They have gone in to it for about one kilometer which is a little more than half a mile but they give up for safety reasons.Not a lot of oxygen at that distance. One can walk almost upright inside of it. All kinds of cool stuff in that village.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

@LengerichKA88

Since you are into wine making i think you will appreciate this.

This is the screw from the old wine press in my in laws house. Dated 1772. It is carved from one entire tree trunk and about 25 feet long.

scan11.jpg.f03ab131f9961d828850770908da8740.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

LengerichKA88

Wow! That’s really cool!! 

I didn't know if there were any legal issues, with it being an artifact and of important local and cultural influence (or I assume it would be viewed as such). That’s neat that right under your in-laws feet is something so old and complex (when you think about it, especially given the connected tunnel). Here we just don’t have things like that, but as a kid I was an avid fossil/ treasure hunter. The United States just hasn’t been around long enough to have cool hidden underground wells, or secret catacombs, etc. 

When I was 15 I went to Barcelona and Madrid on a one week school trip. We walked past a wall in Madrid I believe that had been built in the 16th century. I used to know the name of the wall too, but I’ve the past 16 years I’ve forgotten it. 

There was a piece of the brick laying on the ground. I picked it up and put it in my pocket (we were there in March, so we were wearing hooded sweatshirts, just stuck it in the pouch). My teacher found out a bit later, and was panicked because I’d “defaced a monument in another country.”  She went to our tour guide and asked what we should do, so she came to me to question me about it. 

She asked me “where did you get it?” I said it was on the ground. She smiles and says “we’re good, he found it on the ground. It’s just a rick off the side walk.” It’s in my closet somewhere. 

But the reason I kept it was because it just fascinated me that I could hold something in my hand, that was made by another person, hundreds of years before the country I was born in even existed. 

Cant find that kind of stuff stomping around  corn fields in areas that never even had people on them till a couple

hundred years ago 😂

I’m on the hook too hunh? I’ll have to sit and think awhile...... but I’ll think of one.  Although now my B.C. AC unit is outta the question 😂

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
Just now, formariz said:

@LengerichKA88

Since you are into wine making i think you will appreciate this.

This is the screw from the old wine press in my in laws house. Dated 1772. It is carved from one entire tree trunk and about 25 feet long.

scan11.jpg.f03ab131f9961d828850770908da8740.jpg

That is cool too! 

@stevasaurus might find that interesting as well! 

• Like 1

formariz

Since it was private property and he donated much to Museum there was not a problem. It is however not the right thing to do. I have here many artifacts that I brought over that I should not have. These things should always be left in their place of origin. With the exception of family heirlooms  I have instructions that upon my death they are returned back there and donated to the proper entity. I have there some incredible items some rather large such as antique horse wagon used by my father in law and his father, that when he passes will go on a permanent loan to the national museum. They were given to me but I will never go to live there again neither will my children ,so when they pass that is where they will be so it's preserved for all future generations. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

LengerichKA88

This is actually a modern take on a much more familiar item. 

But it may just make your head spin if it’s not an activity you do, or do often, or if you’re a purist and don’t use these optional items. We’ll see how long this one will fly,  but I won’t be salty if it gets caught quickly. 

DC832B21-37E8-4999-B2B4-259E4048F73B.jpeg

0212B3CC-534C-44AF-9606-8E3D40D71539.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

The United States just hasn’t been around long enough to have cool hidden underground wells, or secret catacombs, etc

Not so much secret catacombs that I'm aware of but there are definitely buildings up here in New England that are connected by the cellars. Underground Railroad used to run through with freed slaves on their way to Canada. In one building and out another......

• Like 4

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not so much secret catacombs that I'm aware of but there are definitely buildings up here in New England that are connected by the cellars. Underground Railroad used to run through with freed slaves on their way to Canada. In one building and out another......

I stand corrected: Central and Northern Indiana doesn’t have cool structures and the like buried waiting to be unearthed 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I stand corrected: Central and Northern Indiana doesn’t have cool structures and the like buried waiting to be unearthed 😂

That's one of the things I like about living in New England as I do.

Maine and Virginia are the two earliest known European settlements in the New World.

1607 for both if I remember right.

Vikings and other northern European folk has been coming to Maine for over a thousand years.

Native tribes are documented many thousands of years back.

There are no more buildings in Maine from the 1600s but there are many from the 1700s.

History in the Northeast is absolutely fascinating.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

formariz

There are countless of great places and things to discover in this country. They are different than other continents but they are also unique . There is however something here that you will not find anywhere else and no other culture can claim it. Perhaps it is more obvious to me than for someone born here which is only natural. It is the diversity of the people which live here. Here one is exposed to the rest of the world  and all cultures by just being in one place. I can honestly say that my life would have not been a fraction of what it is had I stayed where I am from. I would have never learned a fraction of what I have simply for the fact that the opportunity,individuals , and even the freedom to do so from would not be there. I am proud of my culture but there is no mistake or doubt as to where my heart is and to what I can call home.

Edited by formariz
  • Heart 6

Mows4three

Man, I love this forum!

Dave

• Heart 3

Mows4three
2 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

This is actually a modern take on a much more familiar item. 

But it may just make your head spin if it’s not an activity you do, or do often, or if you’re a purist and don’t use these optional items. We’ll see how long this one will fly,  but I won’t be salty if it gets caught quickly. 

DC832B21-37E8-4999-B2B4-259E4048F73B.jpeg

0212B3CC-534C-44AF-9606-8E3D40D71539.jpeg

Is it used for fishing?   Like as a swivel to keep your line from tangling?

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

I'll take that one step further and say maybe fly fishing?

• Like 1

Mows4three

I’ll even go with wet flies.  

• Sad 1

formariz
22 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll take that one step further and say maybe fly fishing?

Kind of think the same. The only doubt is the fact that out of plastic it may be too fragile for that purpose?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, formariz said:

Kind of think the same. The only doubt is the fact that out of plastic it may be too fragile for that purpose?

Yeah but Kyle ain't catching no big fish so our guess is still in play....

:hide:

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88

Gentleman, you are all correct but the cigar goes to @Mows4three!

I can’t speak to how they work, as I had to open them to take a picture. 

Im sure there is a reason I got them on clearance, I thought it might just be different enough to throw you guys off. May have been too have handed with the punny hints 😂

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 3

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah but Kyle ain't catching no big fish so our guess is still in play....

:hide:

....... I’ll remember that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mows4three

Lots of good clues on your swivels.  

Cough, cough, cough.  

I take my tobacco by the plug. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mows4three

Here’s one that is uniquely connected to more of a profession than a trade.  The scale might throw you off so remember this item is only an 1 1/4” across from edge to edge. 

Good luck!

B1B66C30-1307-4C29-A98B-79A253EFBB6A.jpeg

Edited by Mows4three
  • Excellent 1

formariz

Embalming supply. Eye cap.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

Here’s one that is uniquely connected to more of a profession than a trade.  The scale might throw you off so remember this item is only an 1 1/4” across from edge to edge. 

Good luck!

B1B66C30-1307-4C29-A98B-79A253EFBB6A.jpeg

looks like the sort of vile medieval nastiness that you would scrape a callus off with

• Haha 2

formariz

Hey where is Ed? 

Mows4three
20 minutes ago, formariz said:

Embalming supply. Eye cap.

How in the world did you figure that out?   Google Images?

Edited by Mows4three

formariz
2 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

How in the world did you figure that out?   Google Images?

Simple shapes like that are easier.:hide: