Jump to content
Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

Recommended Posts

Ed Kennell

OK all you whatizit fans.     Here ya go.    If you get this one Cas, @formariz  I'll eat YOUR shoe.

 

P4220346.JPG.113043834c18932012ddb83e9d890491.JPG

 

Here's another one that is much easier.

 

P4220350.JPG.96020221bc2b9030ccc19393620aad27.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24

First one is cocktail straws, 2nd one is for measuring water depth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell

Not even close on the first one Jim.      Your on track with the water depth, but it does more and how does it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)

Its a water depth and temperature gauge to help locating ideal location for fishing. Works with water pressure.

 

What is the material on the first one?

 

Scent sticks.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

I haven't got the foggiest idea but I love this game so I'll just be here following along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
stevasaurus

The 1st one is cloth tubes used to insulate a twist, tube and soldier joint.  You would slide one of these on or cut to length and slide on one of your wires.  Strip the insulation on both wires...twist them together and soldier. Bend over the soldiered end and slide the tube over the splice.  This was way before shrink tubing.  :occasion-xmas:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Its a water depth and temperature gauge to help locating ideal location for fishing. Works with water pressure.

 

What is the material on the first one?

 

Scent sticks.

Perfect on the fishfinder.     It is submerged for exactly 30 seconds and the tube will fill thru a calibrated orifice to indicate the depth .  At the same time the thermometer reads the water temperature at this depth.      Readings are taken at several depths to locate the thermal layers  thus finding the best depth to find the fish.

  P4220349.JPG.c1da1c8f6e351095f5f5da8db47a2adf.JPGP4220351.JPG.00da1b65423f5231ae0281b21999a427.JPG

 

Nada on the second Cas.     Think heat

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The 1st one is cloth tubes used to insulate a twist, tube and soldier joint.  You would slide one of these on or cut to length and slide on one of your wires.  Strip the insulation on both wires...twist them together and soldier. Bend over the soldiered end and slide the tube over the splice.  This was way before shrink tubing.  :occasion-xmas:

Super guess Steve, but that is not it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell

Just curious Cas, how did you know this?    GOOGLE?   :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)

Glue sticks . I was thinking that before my previous answer. They look like hide glue a bit although a little light in color. Ends also look a little frayed.Unmelted hide glue is hard like glass so the frayed ends puts a question on that.I have and use hide glue, but never seen it in that form so I am not sure. They have something to do with taxidermy?

Edited by formariz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just curious Cas, how did you know this?    GOOGLE?   :rolleyes:

My father in law overseas is a big fishing enthusiast and many years back he asked me to get him one which he still uses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, formariz said:

My father in law overseas is a big fishing enthusiast and many years back he asked me to get him one which he still uses.

Interesting...thanks.    I thought many would know it was a water depth instrument, but very few would know the hydraulic principle of it's operation.

 

The sticks are not glue and are not used in taxidermy.      They are about 0.10" in dia.   Your Grandmother may know the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)

Just like #8 spaghetti.:ychain:. What part of Grandma's life did it involve? Can they be bent? They are beginning to look like wax sticks .

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

Since we are talking about Grandma. No it's not her personal shot glass.

IMG_1773.JPG.4e02d233ba36decca9ffb6e8f3116d9d.JPG

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Stormin

 Just thought I'd throw these in.

 

P1020793.JPG.d04964fb80b7098e33f6a9549f5ea700.JPG

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

@Stormin

Norman, leatherworking or cobblers tools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

@StorminPattern makers molding tools.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Stormin
Just now, formariz said:

@StorminPattern makers molding tools.

 

Correct! :thumbs: All brass. I knew it would be too easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

 

5 minutes ago, Stormin said:

 

Correct! :thumbs: All brass. I knew it would be too easy.

Part of my life in woodworking. Life long student of it.

 

IMG_1774.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
35 minutes ago, Stormin said:

 Just thought I'd throw these in.

 

P1020793.JPG.d04964fb80b7098e33f6a9549f5ea700.JPG

 

 

I use several of the spoons for shaping clay and plaster in my taxidermy work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pullstart

I know there are already answers,  up my first thoughts were chopsticks and a maple hydrometer!  That took me about half a second to come up with, without too much thought process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
LengerichKA88
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

OK all you whatizit fans.     Here ya go.    If you get this one Cas, @formariz  I'll eat YOUR shoe.

 

P4220346.JPG.113043834c18932012ddb83e9d890491.JPG

 

They look like wicks for candles to me. Hard to get it clear and zoom in but they look like they’re braid and wax coated. 

 

Plus the “Heat” hint 

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Stormin

I was thinking wicks, but more for an oil lamp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SPINJIM
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Perfect on the fishfinder.     It is submerged for exactly 30 seconds and the tube will fill thru a calibrated orifice to indicate the depth .  At the same time the thermometer reads the water temperature at this depth.      Readings are taken at several depths to locate the thermal layers  thus finding the best depth to find the fish.

  P4220349.JPG.c1da1c8f6e351095f5f5da8db47a2adf.JPGP4220351.JPG.00da1b65423f5231ae0281b21999a427.JPG

 

 

Thanks for the instruction sheet, Ed.   I have one of those among my fishing gear, but was never quite sure how to use it.

    Jim

 

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
LengerichKA88
7 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I was thinking wicks, but more for an oil lamp.

I thought about that at first, but the one I have uses a flat wick,  so I figured candles would be a safer bet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...