ClassicTractorProfessor

Opinions On These Wheels

ClassicTractorProfessor

One of the owners of the shop I work at just bought this 1990 GMC for his 16 year old daughter. He has put a bunch of time and money into fixing it up for her. Took it to a body shop and had it completely repainted, including the frame and everything underneath. Also had the interior completely redone...new carpet, custom upholstery on the seats, custom wood accents on the dash and door panels. It's going to make her a nice pickup. After it left the body shop, he brought it down to me to have the front end completely rebuilt, as well as new wheels and tires put on it. As long as he and his daughter like it that's all that matters, but the discussion came up among us guys in the shop, and even the girl in the office, about which wheels looked better. The wheels that were on it when he bought it were these nice American Racing 15s with 235/75R15 rubber on them. I think they looked right at home on there. Our alignment guy agreed with me, but our shop manager and the girl in the office like the new ones better, so we have a tie vote. New kid says he doesn't like either, that it needs some 22s on it, so his opinion got thrown out LOL. The new wheels are 17s with 265/70R17 rubber, Brandon and I both think they look too big for what the truck is. If it was 4x4 they might be ok, but they just look out of place on a 2wd stepside pickup. 

I know several of you are fellow gearheads who enjoy other things besides tractors, so what's everyone's opinions as to which wheel looks better? Help me break the tie vote we have going right now 20190111_145815.jpg.60efbf2d840b7f136947aa535206b187.jpg20190111_145808.jpg.09457f195bb351d748e6d7c9deee2603.jpg20190111_142739.jpg.9f4f3598a30e9848ad1203cebee4354f.jpg20190111_151641.jpg.1dfc695d22025f9518427e822a7288b1.jpg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

For as long as I can remember I've never been a fan of black or dark colored wheels so strictly for that reason I'm going to go with the silver American Racing wheels.

That said, I think it should have some Fat meats on the back.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

While the older wheels are more period correct, I kinda like the new wheels better. 

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I guess the whole bigger wheel and lower profile tire craze just hasn't caught up with me yet. Back about a year ago I bought this 03 Silverado. It had these 20s on it when I bought it, and I HATED them, finally traded them straight across to a buddy of mine for the stock 16s off his truck. Several people told me I was crazy for doing it, since my wheels were worth 5x what his stock ones were. 

20180526_144834.jpg

20180526_144910.jpg

oliver2-44

17s size seems good, not a fan of those black rims

27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That said, I think it should have some Fat meats on the back.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

roadapples

15's, American Racing...

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the silver wheels.

Glenn

• Like 1

Stormin

The black ones fit the arches better. The silver ones look too small. But the style and colour look better.

• Like 2

Sparky

The black 17’s get my vote :eusa-think:

• Like 2

19richie66

While the all black look is something I am not into, I have never really liked that style of silver wheel. Just does nothing for me. I think on that truck, the bigger black wheel looks better though. Mt vote is for the black.

my old truck, 15” vs 20” just not all black. With it being lowered, the 15” filled the wheelwells and looked good. I liked it better with 15”. My son got it and put the 20” on it. Kids😂

99B321F5-7891-4EFA-98D7-CEFA06AA193F.jpeg

1B546314-C46A-4DCF-A166-45B739B7DE83.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

squonk

I vote silver! I love controversy! :banana-wrench:

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

I'm thinking the kid's...

the only one who had a clue.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

it's a generation preference thing, in the 90s those American racing were the in the style on trucks, and cars  just like cragers were in the 70s and 80s, the style now are the blacked cut rims are in.  I think it looks great with the color and the black rims. it's a cleaner more modern look. the American rims make the truck look dated and stuck in the 90s. I would have put cowl hood in it and loose the goofy chrome bed rails.  on the flip side I hope a 16 year old driving a 2wd rear wheel v8 knows how to counter steer when it gets loose

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

the  ASPECT RATIO  has a huge effect on the sidewall height , look ,and wear ,and handling on the truck. if you want to stay period correct , you stay close to original . something that is a glairing fact to me ,is that the new big wheels and very short and stiff sidewalls , have horrible mileage life, and they are very pricy. you could go to a 17" wheel set up and have a good combination of looks / wear/ and much better costs. once you go above 18" wheels ,the novelty of regular tire replacement  goes away quickly. you can go online and find your truck, and swap tire/wheel combinations to see what you can do . just pricing 20+ " tire / wheel combinations is nuts. this is just my own opinion and experience, hope you find your answer , pete  

• Like 3

rjg854
42 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

I'm with Craig on this one, I'm not really a fan of either.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Machineguy, @PeacemakerJack help us out here chime on in...My brother still has a '92 C1500 with a 5spd, had those "sawblade" style wheels which I just hated and still do, but I hate the whole black out wheel thing too, I agree with @peter lena that the aspect ratio(sidewall height) makes or breaks how a tire/wheel combo looks just like @19richie66 ride height also plays into this as well, my vote would be something in 17" with more aluminum or chrome showing with darker grey or black accents and nothing less than a 255/60-17 tire again just my opinion, here's my '06 on chrome Cadillac 17s with 255/60s, Jeff.

IMAG4790.jpg

IMAG4786.jpg

IMAG4926.jpg

• Like 2

19richie66
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

The wheels that were first on it were what came on it. I had a set of 16” tahoe limited wheels I was going to run but he got the truck before I had a chance to use them. So I had a clue but didn’t have a chance to do anything about it. You should see the dually he is building. 24” Alcoa aluminum semi wheels. He is definitely my son:laughing-rolling:

55602467-B9C1-4D88-9CF5-3909BC5DADF3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

The wheels that were first on it were what came on it. I had a set of 16” tahoe limited wheels I was going to run but he got the truck before I had a chance to use them. So I had a clue but didn’t have a chance to do anything about it. You should see the dually he is building. 24” Alcoa aluminum semi wheels. He is definitely my son:laughing-rolling:

55602467-B9C1-4D88-9CF5-3909BC5DADF3.jpeg

I have always wanted to build that same setup, but with a square body crew cab dually

5 hours ago, jabelman said:

it's a generation preference thing, in the 90s those American racing were the in the style on trucks, and cars  just like cragers were in the 70s and 80s, the style now are the blacked cut rims are in.

yes it is, guess it just proves what my mother always said, I was born at least one generation too late, I still like the look of the American Racing wheels, and the old Cragars were some of the best looking wheels ever in my opinion. I still prefer a smaller wheel with a meatier tire, to me it just looks more natural. My old feed truck is even running aftermarket wheels, not sure where the previous owner came up with 8-lug 15s at, but those wheels combined with a 31x10.50-15 tire just look good on there to me, I had a flat on it a while back, and put the spare 16 off my F250 on it so I could feed the horses that night, it didn't even look right on there and it was close to the factory size

20180708_174402.jpg

20180708_181157.jpg

• Like 1

squonk
4 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

I have always wanted to build that same setup, but with a square body crew cab dually

yes it is, guess it just proves what my mother always said, I was born at least one generation too late, I still like the look of the American Racing wheels, and the old Cragars were some of the best looking wheels ever in my opinion. I still prefer a smaller wheel with a meatier tire, to me it just looks more natural. My old feed truck is even running aftermarket wheels, not sure where the previous owner came up with 8-lug 15s at, but those wheels combined with a 31x10.50-15 tire just look good on there to me, I had a flat on it a while back, and put the spare 16 off my F250 on it so I could feed the horses that night, it didn't even look right on there and it was close to the factory size

20180708_174402.jpg

20180708_181157.jpg

I think those 8 luggers were of light GVW 3/4 ton GM

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

I think those 8 luggers were of light GVW 3/4 ton GM

Could be, not real sure, I have owned several of these old 3/4 ton Chevy trucks, and this is the only one I've seen with 15s on it. I know I've been having a heck of a time finding another wheel for a spare, all of them I've ever seen had either 16s or 16.5s on them, this particular truck used to have 16.5s on it, I've still got the originals somewhere in the junk pile out at the farm. 

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Could be, not real sure, I have owned several of these old 3/4 ton Chevy trucks, and this is the only one I've seen with 15s on it. I know I've been having a heck of a time finding another wheel for a spare, all of them I've ever seen had either 16s or 16.5s on them, this particular truck used to have 16.5s on it, I've still got the originals somewhere in the junk pile out at the farm. 

https://www.amazon.com/White-Spoke-Trailer-Wheel-Circle/dp/B00AU9IF3K

squonk

I think the GVW cut off was 8600 lbs. Not sure. Lots of subtle differences between the light  and heavy 3/4 tons. Mostly driveline differences and brake size. I do think some aftermarket wheel companies made 8 lug 15" wheels for guys who didn't want the cost and ride of 1 6's

Edited by squonk

19richie66

These were 15x10 wheels on my F250. Kids:laughing-rolling:

B3B1C143-21DF-4130-8C14-3675D75AA06D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

ClassicTractorProfessor

@19richie66 that's what I'm talking about. That's the look I like, smaller wheel with a big meaty tire, I love it. 

• Like 2

19richie66

Back in the 80’s we didn’t have the wheel options now. 14”,15”,16.5 or you made your own.😂