PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

PeacemakerJack

:text-bravo:I’ll be in touch Dan.  I have to get my shop organized enough to be able to get at Blackbeard again.  He has been tucked away for the long winters nap.  However, once I have him back out, I’ll study the situation and let you know what I find.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
12 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

What is really cool with that Kev is how much those look like “traditional” AG’s.  I would be game to give those a try on my “redhead” plow mule when I finally get around to building it.  Thanks for sharing the link.

I imagine the extra 2” ground clearance would be a significant gain in the furrow!  I think that Eric @wheelhorse man (?) proved how well a 6-12 will plow at J&C2019, but ground clearance got the best of him a time or two.

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I imagine the extra 2” ground clearance would be a significant gain in the furrow!

The extra ground clearance would be an advantage. Pus you will get a little more ground speed. :D:auto-driving: Some times (depending on the soil conditions) a narrow tire can also be an advantage. There have been instances where my 8.50's were digging in and pulling while others with 10.50's were slipping.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Achto said:

The extra ground clearance would be an advantage. Pus you will get a little more ground speed. :D:auto-driving: Some times (depending on the soil conditions) a narrow tire can also be an advantage. There have been instances where my 8.50's were digging in and pulling while others with 10.50's were slipping.

More PSI on the contact patch, right?

• Like 1

Achto
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

More PSI on the contact patch, right?

Correct. I've been thinking of setting my snow plow tractor up with 6-12's for that very reason. Wide tires are no good in the snow.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

Correct. I've been thinking of setting my snow plow tractor up with 6-12's for that very reason. Wide tires are no good in the snow.

Unless you’ve got tons of horsepower and plenty of wheel speed!

7B6450B1-3CA4-4168-9B2F-F336A44D5E74.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

After plowing with Clyde...I’m more convinced than ever that a taller narrow tire with a good lug is the way to go!  Thinking of farm work (I know Dan can relate). We used the high floatation duals in the spring so as to stay “on top” of the soil and spread out our contact patch as much as possible. Plowing in the fall was going to the narrow tire with LOTS of weight.  I love the look of a fat tire on the back of my plow tractor but with the case of full disclosure...a narrow taller tire is better for plowing—just ask @Stormin and his dark horse.

Of course the link you gave us Kev worked good but the tires were OUT OF STOCK🤨! At a Benny a piece, those are a good deal.

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Maybe I should’ve ordered before sharing the link :(

• Haha 1

C-101plowerpower
17 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

After plowing with Clyde...I’m more convinced than ever that a taller narrow tire with a good lug is the way to go!  Thinking of farm work (I know Dan can relate). We used the high floatation duals in the spring so as to stay “on top” of the soil and spread out our contact patch as much as possible. Plowing in the fall was going to the narrow tire with LOTS of weight.  I love the look of a fat tire on the back of my plow tractor but with the case of full disclosure...a narrow taller tire is better for plowing—just ask @Stormin and his dark horse.

Of course the link you gave us Kev worked good but the tires were OUT OF STOCK🤨! At a Benny a piece, those are a good deal.

https://www.mudthrowers.com/inc/sdetail/62/62489

Pullstart

Rylee and I got some seat time in the field today.  She taught Mrs. P how to plow too!

D8A54677-5262-45F5-9CAD-BCB4322FCD82.jpeg

C2796553-B7EA-4C17-B0AD-C539ED0A16D6.jpeg

2E2825D6-6B6D-4700-99E0-923D73D279DA.jpeg

06C283DE-4798-4D6C-9321-FCD34B5B5854.jpeg

7FF41D0D-9DBE-4C3E-AB4E-1DFEEFD624F5.jpeg

88F29079-058F-476C-89EC-B457ED8F3888.jpeg

E66A6C38-C687-4894-9E40-18164215E46A.jpeg

E4874E06-36E0-48F8-8BE3-6C76F2C3F35F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Achto

A little lesson for today, it is important to open a field correctly. Dived the field in half and start your first pass down the middle of the field. From there keep working each side of that furrow towards the out side of the field until done. A field that I plowed today was started on the outsides to be worked toward the middle. Here was an end result to this practice,

IMG_20200426_132845519-min.jpg.f1c3aaf6f765192f8b580357cf4a16f9.jpg

While trying to make the last passes the right & left wheels both ended up being in a furrow. This resulted in the tractor getting high centered, ( transmission was hung up on the dirt and neither rear tire was touching the ground ). Getting out of this mess involved another tractor and a tow strap.

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

I'll blame it on rookie Pullstart as he was the only one that was in that field last plow day. 'Course it didn't help I was out ther dick1ng around ther the other day trying to put a shine on a plow and plowing the wrong way.  Plus I should have disced it and flattened it out and put in rye last year after plow day. Turning the rye now would have put nitrogen back in.  No matter it was still seat time getting you out! By the way @Shynon @prondzy no lift cables were injured on getting it out! :lol:

I think what I should do is get it straightened out and let it go to weed. Then round up and a another fall plowing and then rye again. If the asparagus doesn't pan out this year it will get plowed up. It kinda screws up the whole field where it's at. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
17 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I think what I should do is get it straightened out and let it go to weed

Maybe throw some oats on it for the summer. They make a good cover crop.

• Like 2

Pullstart

You can’t invite me to come plow... then blame me for plowin’ Jim.  Don’t work that way.  :happy-bouncyred:

• Haha 5

C-101plowerpower
On 4/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, Achto said:

A little lesson for today, it is important to open a field correctly. Dived the field in half and start your first pass down the middle of the field. From there keep working each side of that furrow towards the out side of the field until done. A field that I plowed today was started on the outsides to be worked toward the middle. Here was an end result to this practice,

IMG_20200426_132845519-min.jpg.f1c3aaf6f765192f8b580357cf4a16f9.jpg

While trying to make the last passes the right & left wheels both ended up being in a furrow. This resulted in the tractor getting high centered, ( transmission was hung up on the dirt and neither rear tire was touching the ground ). Getting out of this mess involved another tractor and a tow strap.

i have problems with that when doing competitions, i usually misjudge the depth i have to go to, i start going shallower on the last few passes but allways end up having it too deep still. it'll usually result in me lifting the plow, putting it in gear and pushing and pulling till free:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Pullstart

We prepared our garden plot yesterday.  It rained all night, we still need to disc to break up the sod... or till.

• Like 2
  • Heart 6

PeacemakerJack

Great video Kevin—Caleb was getting a little worried because he thought he was the only one who could use the iMovie maker! :lol: It is a really fun app that can make some really sweet movies without a lot of work.  

Looks like the family was having fun.  What did Mrs. Pullstart think of plowing—assuming this was her first time...🤔. I haven’t had much success getting Kelli to plow but my man @stevasaurus was able to get her to take a couple of rounds on his tractor at Jim’s plow day in 2018 (I think!). 

Also glad to see Jada in the Saddle turning some earth.  Claudia plowed back in about 2015-6 with me a couple of times but it never really was her thing.  I was hoping that with Casey set up for it she would get into it—not so much.  However, she still likes taking “Hot Laps” and playing on the tractors with us.  

Thanks again for taking us on the journey with you guys. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
24 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Great video Kevin—Caleb was getting a little worried because he thought he was the only one who could use the iMovie maker! :lol: It is a really fun app that can make some really sweet movies without a lot of work.  

Looks like the family was having fun.  What did Mrs. Pullstart think of plowing—assuming this was her first time...🤔. I haven’t had much success getting Kelli to plow but my man @stevasaurus was able to get her to take a couple of rounds on his tractor at Jim’s plow day in 2018 (I think!). 

Also glad to see Jada in the Saddle turning some earth.  Claudia plowed back in about 2015-6 with me a couple of times but it never really was her thing.  I was hoping that with Casey set up for it she would get into it—not so much.  However, she still likes taking “Hot Laps” and playing on the tractors with us.  

Thanks again for taking us on the journey with you guys. 

I looked for a cheap yet effective movie maker and will keep playing around with it.  That way I can group together segments of movies to make a story instead of raw video clips at random.

We had a great time!  Mrs. P enjoyed plowing, she had a lot of fun prepping the garden.  This weekend we also made two batches (about 15 or 16 quarts) of spaghetti sauce from frozen tomatoes out of Grandma’s garden.  Mrs. P couldn’t believe how challenging it was to lift the 10” plow behind Putt Putt but she was a trooper about it!

Jada had fun being outside with the family and playing with videos which we can all be thankful for!  Without the video team, it isn’t very pleasant!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Speaking of video team-if we want to share this garden tractor plowing thing with others, it is done through posted/shared videos and pictures.  It is often hard once you get into plowing to take time to get good and interesting shots.  However, it is important  to preserve and share it when we can.  I have always wanted to get a GoPro for those “in the saddle” shots but I learned at Jim’s PD last fall that you have to have a secure mount for one or risk plowing it under😫.  

I’m glad Mrs P. Enjoyed her experience with it.  Her point about manual lifts is well taken though.  An assisted lift is a definite plus in a plow mule, especially if one intends to use it at plow days where you may spend a good part of the day using it. 

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Cool Action captured in a great Video.

Thanks for Sharing.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

And if you’re wondering if the fields are wet after our 3-4” of rain in about 12 hours...

the answer is yes!

18D28F28-497C-4FAA-8514-05DA56B3130A.jpeg

2812CA9B-D644-47F5-99D9-D737089BBF6E.jpeg

C42B235C-FA9E-42F7-97B2-31A72E701B94.jpeg

B6F97E61-9F56-4B34-ADC9-15B3CB8B9C29.jpeg

8943B299-48B6-49F8-BE41-D339563CD3B6.jpeg

BA9F7285-A361-4FA6-9EA3-35F0988D7905.jpeg

0974666F-C478-4B77-8BB8-11FD447AC4DB.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

Andy N.

Tilled the garden today with the 312-8. And got some peas and onions planted...more to come.

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

• Excellent 4

WVHillbilly520H

@pullstart, Kevin those don't too much like high flotation mud bogging tires :ROTF:...

• Haha 2