953 nut

Wiring diagrams to help you understand how it is done.

RandyLittrell

As long as we are talking about electrical, how about a recomendation of quality wire to use to rewire our old tractors. Seems like kinda of a crap shoot on quality these days with electrical parts. Thanks! 

Randy

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

As long as we are talking about electrical, how about a recomendation of quality wire to use to rewire our old tractors. Seems like kinda of a crap shoot on quality these days with electrical parts. Thanks! 

Randy

I try as hard as I can to buy wire that is 100% copper. I don't know if there is any merit to it but I have read that the CCA or Copper Clad Aluminum can have a tendency to corrode due to the rules of dissimilar metals.

Maybe 3 years ago now? I bought a 50-foot spool of full copper 7 conductor trailer wire.

That gives me the option of cutting the outside sheath off and using seven individual wires or leaving it on where I might want it to run through something like the gas tank shelf.

I don't do restorations. We build workers. So the actual color of the wire is less important to me than it is to some.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I try as hard as I can to buy wire that is 100% copper. I don't know if there is any merit to it but I have read that the CCA or Copper Clad Aluminum can have a tendency to corrode due to the rules of dissimilar metals.

Maybe 3 years ago now? I bought a 50-foot spool of full copper 7 conductor trailer wire.

That gives me the option of cutting the outside sheath off and using seven individual wires or leaving it on where I might want it to run through something like the gas tank shelf.

I don't do restorations. We build workers. So the actual color of the wire is less important to me than it is to some.

What gauge did you get? I am thinking 14 AWG . 

Randy

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, RandyLittrell said:

What gauge did you get? I am thinking 14 AWG . 

Randy

Yes that's correct. 14 gauge is more than enough for each single circuit on these tractors.

If you're going to buy online do some research first. I had to order some red wire the other day and I found that 12 gauge was about the same price as 14 so I opted for the larger wire.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes that's correct. 14 gauge is more than enough for each single circuit on these tractors.

If you're going to buy online do some research first. I had to order some red wire the other day and I found that 12 gauge was about the same price as 14 so I opted for the larger wire.

I research things to death, before I buy!! LOL

Randy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Randy

If it would be helpful to you I can p.m. you a link of what I bought, later today.

RandyLittrell
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

If it would be helpful to you I can p.m. you a link of what I bought, later today.

Whenever would be great, no hurry. Thanks. 

randy

tunahead72
21 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Randy

You should see my 3 pages of notes on 7" replacement gauge wheels for my mower decks! :coffee:

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• richm1386
      By richm1386
      Quick story and a couple of questions concerning replacing the ignition coil on my '89 416-8 with Onan P216 engine. 

So I got this old tractor from my Dad when he replaced it and it was running okay until a few weeks ago. Was picking up sticks and hauling them out to the wood pile when I idled down the tractor and then it stalled out (which happens all the time.) I tried starting again and it would not turn over. The starter would go and go but no ignition. I spent a lot of time on these forums and found some really good info including the service manual. I used that diagnose the problem and figured out the coil was bad. I ordered a new off brand coil and condenser from Amazon for $40 swapped them in last night and it fired almost immediately. Plus since I had taken the shroud off and disconnected the throttle cable it was idling well at very low throttle. I've still got to reassemble everything properly but it seems like the coil was the culprit.
      That said I've got a couple questions.

1. Anybody have any luck with non-Onan coils?The one I got from Amazon seems well made but it is literally some no name part. I figured for $40 it was worth a shot.

2. Does it matter which spark plug attaches to which plug on the coil? I forgot to take a photo before I disassembled. 

3. Could a failing coil cause very hard starts and stalling at low idle? I'm asking because as I said above the tractor has been very hard to start for years. Almost always needed to choke it. It would also stall out if you idled down nearly every time. Just the brief testing with the new coil that I've done, both of these issues seem much better. Also I used my Dad's replacement (early '90s 416-h with same engine) for this tractor while working on mine and it started and idled very easily. It looks like it might have a replacement coil as well. Just wondering. 

Thanks all.

• tntatro
      By tntatro
      The stator and flywheel on this engine are different than others I have worked on so far. The stator is smaller in diameter and has a wire that runs out to a part that looks like an ignition coil but has no plug wire. I am wondering what it is and how do I wire it?

I'm not 100% positive that I put it back in the same spot it came but I think I did. I gapped it at .020" from the bump that sticks out on the flywheel, it is magnetized.

• ToroWheelHorseRookie
      By ToroWheelHorseRookie
      Please Help-- I inherited this work horse from my father in-law after being passed down from his father.  I recently brought my wheel horse in for repairs and the service shop said they were unable to find the part; starter/solenoid.  I did not want to give up on this beast as even the repair shop said this is a well made machine and is better than anything built today. I eventually found the part but because the shop left the part uninstalled I was unable to see how the starter was wired.  Yesterday,  I installed the new starter/solenoid but when I connected the battery terminals the tractor wanted to start on its own.  I quickly disconnected the terminals and analyzed the electrical schematic map but I am baffled on the proper wiring.  I only have a positive (red) battery terminal wire, another red wire, black (ground) wire, and a blue wire with a slot connection.  I included pictures of the starter and the electrical schematic map.  Any help would be much appreciated!! I l would like to fix this on my own as this seems to be a simple wiring issue.  I can add pictures of the tractor itself, but at the moment its under a tarp in a shed at night. Thank you in advance, Matt     

Electrical Guide.pdf
    • cslxt8
      By cslxt8
      So I started digging into a C-100 I acquired over the weekend and I have found two issues. One of which I am curious if anyone else has seen and the other I suspect the solenoid is toast.

I was not getting any power to the solenoid when turning over the key. Surprising enough both the clutch and PTO safety switches work (I wonder for how long), yet I was still not getting power at the solenoid. After working from the live hot wire on the solenoid I discovered the voltage was dropping from 12.5V to 3.4V across the Ammeter. After bypassing the Ammeter I got power to the ignition switch then to the solenoid when cranking. Just curious if anyone had seen something like this and where could I find a decent quality replacement, any suggestions?

Now that I got power to the solenoid, there was a loud click but the starter did not budge (I have not confirmed the starter is free not did I confirm power was passing through to the starter). However I observed that the power was continuing as if I was holding the key to the crank position. I am just curious if the solenoid is fried such that it is somehow sticking and jumping power? I checked the ignition switch and it is checking out fine as I would expect.

Thanks,
      C