kpinnc

My 701 saga

Pullstart

If you get tired of working on it, I’ll trade you for one of those Vanguards on your shelf for it!  But toss in the other Vanguard please :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

The original hood had been drilled out, and I didn't like it. The 701 hood is unique, so not having it just really was a deal breaker. Thanks to @Chris G, I now have a decent hood to work with. 

School me…  What is unique about the 701 hood?  That drilled one is pretty cool, I’d be hard pressed to leave it be, weld it up but not grind the welds smooth, or completely weld/peen/grind it one hole at a time!

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

If you get tired of working on it, I’ll trade you for one of those Vanguards on your shelf for it!  But toss in the other Vanguard please :handgestures-thumbupright:

dont listen to kev give it to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

kpinnc
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What is unique about the 701 hood?  

It was the only model with a "Suburban" style hood with no slots. Everything after had a grille stamped out on the nose. 

I have to say whoever drilled that hood took the time to do it right. Straight lines and everything. But the 701 hood is just too unique to be modified. Since nothing I have is correct/ original/ accurate for it's year, I wanted this one to be at least close.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Vanguards

I love my Vanguards. You have no idea how often I've considered repowering all my tractors with one. Smooth, torquey as heck, and fuel sippers. Plus rebuildable. 

• Excellent 3

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  I've got a C 195 with a Series 1 KT19 in it.  Hour meter says a little over 1600 hours.  I'm afraid it is a ticking time bomb.  I'm thinking a Vanguard would be a good replacement.

What kind of thrust bearings are on those Vanguards?  Will they need modification to work with a Wheel Horse mechanical PTO clutch?

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

What kind of thrust bearings are on those Vanguards?  Will they need modification to work with a Wheel Horse mechanical PTO clutch?

On the 12.5 to 23HP horizontal engines, they have a ball bearing on the PTO shaft. There are several members who have used them with a manual PTO with no thrust bearing and no issues. The PTO bracket bolts directly just as a Kohler. The shaft is also only 1 inch diameter. You'll have to either add a sleeve or find a smaller ID drive pulley.

But- the "footprint" overall on these engines is smaller than the old Kohlers. You have to make an adapter both to raise the shaft and to bolt to the tractor frame. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

So, this thread will be a long one. Maybe not a "Collosal" one, but still... :P

That's funny right there.  I don't care who you are.  That's funny.  

~Larry....

I'm in brother man.  Looking forward to seeing what you do on this project.  

Agreed on that drilled hood. Looks super cool but this particular rig needs to be right.  

10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

This 701 has sentimental value. My wife got it for me almost 20 years ago for a Father's day present.

❤️

9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I'm thinking a Vanguard would be a good replacement.

Bill, both @Lee1977 and @kpinnc have helped me gather up some information on the Vanguard transplant process. I have one here that'll eventually land in a C160 chassis.  

From what they've both told me it seems pretty straightforward.  

• Like 2

kpinnc
4 hours ago, WHX?? said:

You lookin for sympathy from me KP on a rough 701 you ain't a gonna get it. Mine when I got it from Dan...:eusa-doh:

That is an awesome turn around! I hope mine looks that good!

• Like 2

kpinnc
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's funny right there.  I don't care who you are.  That's funny.  

Just joking! :lol:

I secretly hold the "longest unfinished tractor" record. When I finish it, I'll tell how long.

• Haha 5

Handy Don
18 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I have to say whoever drilled that hood took the time to do it right. Straight lines and everything. But the 701 hood is just too unique to be modified. Since nothing I have is correct/ original/ accurate for it's year, I wanted this one to be at least close.

Agreed that the “drilled” hood shows craftsmanship but also agreed that sometimes original is the only way.

I’d probably restore BOTH hoods and use them at different times!

17 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Vanguards. You have no idea how often I've considered repowering all my tractors with one. Smooth, torquey as heck, and fuel sippers.

I can see that any serious problem with my Onan may drive me to Vanguard!

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

i think the 701's are just all the left over suburbans atleast thats what it almost seems

• Like 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

i think the 701's are just all the left over suburbans atleast thats what it almost seems

I don't know. The 701 hood has the same nose, but the top is longer and notched for the gas tank. Maybe front axle and steering, and transmission in the case of the 551 only. Toolbox is different, fenders are different. Wheels maybe...

• Like 2

Pullstart

That looks really good already!  Woo hoo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
On 11/4/2023 at 9:21 PM, Pullstart said:

I’ll trade you for one of those Vanguards on your shelf for it

Sorry @Pullstart

one of those Vanguards are spoken for…

I’ve already started lobbying for it if, and when the P220 on my 1994 520H takes a dump…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
33 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Sorry @Pullstart

one of those Vanguards are spoken for…

I’ve already started lobbying for it if, and when the P220 on my 1994 520H takes a dump…

No problem, you can lobby the one I trade Kevin, for the other one he has, that was his anyway!

• Haha 1

WHX??
19 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Just joking! :lol:

I secretly hold the "longest unfinished tractor" record. When I finish it, I'll tell how long.

I hear ya KP. I started on mine well over a year ago but at least I don't have a 500 page thread on it with nothing done. :lol: Wadda ya know about that @19richie66

AA53CA52-E8EE-4B92-A9EC-8F45EE6AC6C8.jpeg.98bc3db4e0d3442b78bedaf4e172d47b.jpeg

• Haha 3

19richie66

I plead the 5th. I started the D series build with high hopes now it’s just a pile of good intentions. I’m not saying another word about anyone else’s projects. Kinda taking a break myself. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

started on mine well over a year ago

Well that isn't so bad.

Remember my "523-H"? That started as a "euro" 518-H more than 10 years ago. Then I had some heath issues and it sat on my lift in the shop the whole time. When I finally came back to it and changed direction to the 523, that would have been a record for sure.

...but it still isn't finished. It's got foot rests under construction, and I just recently found a carb for it. It still has not moved under it's own power. So we're in the 11- year timeframe so far. :wacko:

Collossus and Molassus got nothing on my Procrastinus Rex! :lol:

IMG_20211216_230250838.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

kpinnc
10 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I plead the 5th.

My problem is too many projects at once. Before I even started the 701, I had two others in some level of reconstruction. Now both roundhoods are added to the mix. I'll start a thread on the second roundhood when it has a couple more things on it to clarify where it's headed. 

BUT - for me, this is what I enjoy most about these machines. Just like my R/C planes, building and tweaking them is as much fun as using them!

And one little update on the 701- the soak phase has made progress because the transmission shifter broke free tonight. Still gonna be opened up, but at least it's free now. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

WHX??

I was advised one should have multiple tractors on the table. That way you can work on one while waiting for parts or paint to dry. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

I have great admiration for people that can do ONE project and bring it to completion before starting another. 

I've had to learn over the years.. that's not me...

I'll always have many things going on.  

Some get finished. Some don't. And that's perfectly fine.  

• Like 2