JCM

420-LSE Decal Replacement

JCM

Looking for any and all methods the members use for installing new decals. The last time I did this was around 30 years ago on this 86  312-8 and used the dry method and they came out very nice. Now 35 years later I am considering the dish soap method with water in a spray bottle because I'm not sure I trust myself anymore with the dry method. Would like some tips from all familiar with doing this. The decals I am interested in replacing are all 3 on the dash and console areas and possibly the rear fender. The hood decals are in nice condition and would like to leave them as they are originals. If you guys use dish soap what is the ratio you would recommend .  Moderators, if this should be under restorations feel free to move it.  Thank you     @AMC RULES   @kpinnc  @HorseFixer  @Horse Newbie  @squonk  @rmaynard    Any suggestions.

img20200728_11225912.jpg

img20200728_11193348.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

I always use a couple of drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water. Make sure the surface is clean, then spray both the surface and the decal. Place the decal, check for proper placement, move if necessary, then squeegee the air bubbles as well as the excess water out from under. The wet method is the only method that allows you to move the decal once placed. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

JCM

How much water Bob, and Thank you very much.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I just mist them. I find that you can't use too much, but too little may affect your ability to move them if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

I've only done dry method. Slow and steady... @Vinylguy 's decals... I think the quality matters...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

JCM

I should have asked this important question. After painting the console parts what is the waiting time before application of the decals when using Rust O Leum.  5 or 6 years ?   :ROTF:

• Haha 3

squonk
56 minutes ago, JCM said:

I should have asked this important question. After painting the console parts what is the waiting time before application of the decals when using Rust O Leum.  5 or 6 years ?   :ROTF:

Did you clear it as well? 

• Like 1

kpinnc

I use Windex. Clean the area, then a light but full coverage spray. You can use a folded cloth to squeegee any bubbles, plus the decal can be slid around until in place. You can lift and relocate as needed. If it begins to stick, just spray more Windex under it. The Windex doesn't affect the adhesive, and it's slick as a wet fish. 

Once squeegeed out, leave the decals alone overnight at least. The Windex evaporates and leaves a solid ahesion.

The vinyl quality Terry uses works very well with this procedure. I've never had one wrinkle or come off. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

JCM

I did not clear it @squonk

• Like 1

squonk
23 minutes ago, JCM said:

I did not clear it @squonk

Gonna take a while then. If you had cleared it, I would have said wait one month. 

• Like 2

JCM

Hard to imagine spending $ 8000.00 for a 420 with a 48'' SD mower and treating it like this. The hole to the right of the throttle is cute. Maybe for a horn ? , don't see the need myself. I have a new dash/ steering console on it's way . New decals have been waiting patiently in the basement. The three other panels, light/key switch ,gauge and shift panel have been stripped to bare metal, primed and painted. I was warned that the original decals would resist removal and that was the case. I believe chrome/mylar backing for lack of a better term required some labor which is now behind me. I will post pics as I proceed. Thanks guys for your help so far.

4232023A.JPG

4232023E.JPG

20210610_174110.jpg

• Like 1

c-series don

@JCM I totally agree Jim, who decided “I’m going to drill a big hole in this dashboard, it’s a good idea” ? I

As far as decal placement goes I wouldn’t dare try it without soap and water. Maybe if it was a small one like the Tach-a-matic, I’d do it dry but anything bigger I’d soap it. I definitely don’t know the ratio of soap and water but I don’t think you need much soap. 
 I remember when I did my first restoration and Ed Mayhew delivered my hood decals to the big show. I had never installed any large decals such as the hood ones. When I attempted to do it at the show people gathered around me like I was some kind of expert or something. I was so nervous I was going to mess it up but I just used soap and water and a credit card. Soon enough it appeared as if I knew what I was doing! I got them in place and slowly pushed out the air bubbles with the credit card and they came out perfect! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

I use 50 50 water and alcohol to clean the area. (I use this cleaner before painting too)

Then place the decal in the desired location and use painters tape across the top making sure it is where I want it. 

I flip the decal up and crease the tape, lower the decal back onto the surface to double check fit and if okay then back up. Start the backing off working from the tape crease to the other end smoothing as I go. 

Remove the painters tape, always lined up.

At least a 7 day wait on Rust o leum paint for drying. 

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

76c12091520h

Terry's decals are very user friendly and can easily be installed dry, but I install a lot of decals ( automotive ) so I'm comfortable doing it. However, if I use a lubricant I 100% recommend Windex. I have done several Trans Am hood birds, Dodge Challenger hood blackouts, thousands of pickup truck 4X4 bedside decals, and Windex is the way to go. There is nothing in Windex that will damage the painted surface, can't say the same thing for every brand of soap out there.....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Dash refurb update. At this point I am about ready to apply the decals. Prep work is all done. With the heat wave I decided to move indoors to finish up with the A/C on. Been way to hot in the shop. Some more pictures of the progress made.Will post more pics when I screw up / finish the decals. Meet & Greet will be here before you know it and would like to have the LSE be in the line up with everyone else.

Dash Panel 9.JPG

Dash Panel 10.JPG

Dash Panel 11.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

JCM

Some more pics of the decal project on the 420. I did get carried away a bit and did the shift console for the 417-8 and 418-A as well while I had everything out needed for that. Always a little more to do but the 420 needed to go to the next level after previous owners neglect. Trying to make it better than when I purchased it for the next owner eventually.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

c-series don

@JCM Looks great Jim! I’ll definitely sleep better knowing that giant hole in your dashboard is gone!! As we talked about, I can’t imagine who would do that? ESPECIALLY to an LSE ? Seriously though, nice job 👍🏻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1