moe1965

Rectifier replacment

moe1965

I'm still trying to figure out my overcharging issues on my b 100 I'm down to replacing the rectifier.     I see some very small ones on eBay that are probably for newer style tractors and other sights but don't know if they are all the same or specific for every application.  Any how pictured is the one that is on my tractor any ideas where I can find a proper replacment. Thanks in advance 

IMG_20230105_065521714.jpg

953 nut

peter lena

@moe1965  agree with @953 nut  on availability  , would also detail  in and verify ,related wiring  , all connections and  grounding , grounded mine to my battery  ground cable/ bolt point , with a  10-12 ga wire going directly to that  rectifier base . DO NOT  TRUST ORIGINAL  GROUND AREAS. typically  rust / corrosion  gives you problems .  make up a alligator  clip  wire lead , as you build . insuring function . also connect that ground to your headlights .  pete

• Like 1

pacer

Yeah, that one shown is - probably THE most common one on MANY of the horses. Not a bad price either. That dang ammeter will too often cause a short which will often blow the rectifier --- anymore, one of the first things I do is to get rid of that ammeter and replace it with a voltmeter.....

In my experience, seeing 16-18 volt showing on the volt meter is fairly common, and around 14v are where they stay.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

. DO NOT  TRUST ORIGINAL  GROUND AREAS

Pete makes a good point.

That was the first thing I thought of as well.

Have you tried running a separate ground from the negative battery terminal up to one of the bolts that holds your current rectifier?

Do you have another tractor with a known good rectifier in it?

If so, it would be worth the time to swap them and see what happens.

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@ebinmaine  ever since I  added the  enhanced grounding to my stuff , the  electrical issues are gone , amperage gauges , snap to attention ,and charging is consistent. anything I  suggest  has  hours  on it , once verified ,  add it to the others  ,  take advantage of a repetitive failure  and make it a strong point ,  love doing that , sparky , pete 

• Like 3

peter lena

@pacer   don't  have any volt meters , might try one , have one that fits in the round dash hole ?  pete

pacer
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

have one that fits in the round dash hole ? 

There used to be many choices that were very similar to the original ammeter, but.... was just looking and didnt see any like that -- there are several variations of these that are the 2"

Last couple I bought I just used one of the other several variations on the meters......  Caution, they are expensive ... some up to as much $20!!  :D

I actually found better choices on the jungle than the bay.

MICTUNING MIC-VM-Blue Voltmeter (DC 12V LED Digital Display Waterproof for Boat Marine Vehicle Motorcycle Truck ATV UTV Ca...                      DC 12V 24V Car Voltmeter LED Digital Display Voltmeter Panel, Waterproof Digital Round Panel Voltage Tester Gauge Meter wi...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

This one I would not recommend.  Bought it to put on a friends Ford 80.  Easy to hook up fit in the existing ammeter hole fine but is very inaccurate.. 1.5 to 2.0 volts high all the time...  get what you pay for I guess.

volt.JPG

• Like 2

peter lena

@pacer thanks for the reference , will do some  searching , pete

pacer

@pfrederi The last two I got were similar to the second type shown and they both tend to read a bit high at first. - 15-18v when a meter will show the typical 13-14v, but it doesnt bother me, its still letting me know I'm getting a good charge, and they will creep down as I start using to around 14-15v. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Beap52  problems are rarely a  one and done fix , usually related to combined  fault points .  usually do a  complete  rundown of how it works  and improve  any  spot that needs help .  that electrical grounding  needs  a more secure  set up , if you just think that you can  always have a ground / connection  thats the issue .  that battery  cable ground bolt pont , is an excellent place to attach to  for engine  rectifier  , and also  on to headlight grounding ,  charging also gets better  and lights are bright . have replaced a lot of original wiring , removed tight bends , chafing  , corrosion . verify and check each step , only some ideas .pete 

peter lena

@moe1965   note 1st / second pictures , yellow electrical lug on bottom of rectifier bolt ?  that also is attached to my headlights , all coming from a lead battery cable from battery ground to engine / frame corner , amperage  gauge snaps to attention , and instantly  is on chg  after start . try it out first with  alligator clip test wires , then make it solid . should warn you , if you dare to do what I  have done , the naysayers , will tell that you cannot do that . then again my 3 horses  regularly start and run fine , pete