sjoemie himself

512-D with sweeper, upgrades and modifications

sjoemie himself

Thanks EB and I think you're right. Would'nt hurt to add a bit more air between the tire and the seat pan. The picture does make it seem worse than it is though.

• Like 1

Lee1977
6 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Thanks EB and I think you're right. Would'nt hurt to add a bit more air between the tire and the seat pan. The picture does make it seem worse than it is though.

I have full height 25 x 900 x 12 0n mt 312-8.  Added 1 3/4" under the fender bracket and a new cross piece and raised the gfront gas tank bracket also. Not much you can do bout the bar and foo

t board.

SAM-0735.jpg

SAM-0740.jpg

SAM-1000.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

I've added a few washers. There's a solid 5/6mm or 3/16-1/4" space between the pan and lugs now. When I lean on it still just clears.

We'll give her a test like this.

Still looks bad..

20230409_152926.jpg.d9f0d507a08d7f359e61c6d0e1193a3a.jpg

But is actually OK (I think).

20230409_153030.jpg.b47c85eb552f7bac77ba384343fb9afd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

actually OK (I think).

Long as you take it easy it'll be fine. 

Just be sure to mention the small clearance to the other operator(s) of the tractor.   

Worst case scenario is if it ever binds up you can trim the sheet metal in the area.   

sjoemie himself

About that binding.. Do you happen to know what the black brackets on the seatpan might be for? Looks to me that the pan might be bent down a bit by something that hung on the back of the seatpan?

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

About that binding.. Do you happen to know what the black brackets on the seatpan might be for? Looks to me that the pan might be bent down a bit by something that hung on the back of the seatpan?

I'm not familiar with what those could have been.  

Perhaps a previous owner's bracketry for something.  

sjoemie himself

I was thinking something along the lines of a bagging attachment? 

Don't know what Wheel Horse used a bagger and or how it would attach.

Seems kinda factory installed to me but what do I know.. probably going to 'delete' them since I have no use for them.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Okay.. I feel a little stupid.. never thought about the weight on the seatpan when you actually go SIT on the seat :angry-banghead:

So obviously then the tire rubbed..

Decided to to do the right thing and add proper spacers.

20230410_110332.jpg.718f7f5cad7ba918201ec7ce52f418ea.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

sjoemie himself

Took it out for a testdrive through some mud. Works pretty good!

(yes I know that the camera placement is not ideal)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Looks much better Mark!! 

• Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Looks like this tractor is @Pullstart's nemesis :D

20230410_113839.jpg

• Haha 4

sjoemie himself

Girlfriend put the WH to the test and found it's limit. The same waterhole I crossed with the manure trailer she tried to cross with an (almost) empty waterwagon.

This resulted in me receiving a 'distress call' with the polite but very firm question to come and help get her un-stuck.

After laughing for a good minute after arriving at the scene the conclusion was made that she was indeed very stuck. She already uncoupled the waterwagon to loose some weight but still could'nt get out. 

Put the machine in low gear, pulled on the front a bit and it came right out.

The waterwagon was a bit of another story but the both of us managed to get it far enough out of the deep mud so we could hook up the WH again with the wheels on firm ground. Then she piloted the tractor and I pushed the waterwagon out.

Sadly I got no permission to film or photograph the pickle she got herself in.. you know how that goes..

Short clip of 'after' the sticky situation 

• Like 3

sjoemie himself

Any guesses? :eusa-whistle:

1658710678_Screenshot_20230422_153638_Photos2.jpg.c53def584a299ae60f7b2237af2e30fe.jpg

Edited by sjoemie himself
Deleted one image
  • Confused 1

sjoemie himself

Maybe this one was a bit too difficult :hide:

I decided to make my own engine mounts. Since I did not want to use solid mounts because of the Robin diesel engine I started snoopin' online. First I thought I would be able to utilise a standard component but that turned out to not be an option.

I wanted to improve on the original mounts so I bought some polyurethane roundstock to make bushings out of. Polyurethane is pretty popular amongst car enthousiasts because of superior properties over rubber. More flexible, durable and strong. 

I gotta say this is the weirdest and nastiest stuff I ever turned in my lathe.

The rest of the mount is pretty much a copy of the original. I welded some stuff and pressed it all together.

All the pieces for one mount.

20230422_205418.jpg.ec981c0ff56dee2ebe3efcec10a7a75a.jpg

Everything together.

20230422_205527.jpg.dddf190b1a7aee4537a3a6540f9a6e3e.jpg

20230422_211011.jpg.e12f30ccf2dba93cdf8c7c662fdf7354.jpg

First one mounted. Fits like a glove.

20230422_202942.jpg.8605290233534518ca345ca7b86fd9b8.jpg

2 down, 2 to go.

20230422_210730.jpg.6386e09b678c31fef7e68c7e944d8c48.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

Last two are also installed. I would like a word with the engineer who dreamt up that it would be a good idea to put the Robin engine in there :blink:

Mount number 3 was no problem but number 4 was a different story.. had to lift the engine with the triangle piece attached to get the bolts out and the engine mounts out/in.

Discovered that the triangle piece should be connected with two bolts, one of which is no longer there. For now I bolted it back down with just the one bolt installed. 

Mount number 3, no problem.

20230423_102148.jpg.cc5f5af9cdb5deaf8550da9f060ed130.jpg

Number 4, bolt is nearly hitting the crankcase.

20230423_102226.jpg.f714bbe341aa476339d086f687b64719.jpg

Head of the bolt was already modified. Stock or creative p.o?

20230423_102216.jpg.f68c3ce919aecd06b5f1dd942276ff2b.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Head of the bolt was already modified. Stock or creative p.o?

20230423_102216.jpg.f68c3ce919aecd06b5f1dd942276ff2b.jpg

Mark I zoomed in on your pic. 

Look where I circled in red

Block worn? Or ground? Possible contact point which caused both block and bolt to wear?

Screenshot_20230423-063027~2.png

sjoemie himself

@ebinmaine yep, the casting is worn away a bit.

Nothing to worry about since it's just the 'foot' of the engine so to say.

Probably a p.o. solution because the bolt is also metric instead of imperial..

That being said, don't think a imperial bolthead is much smaller than the current one.

• Like 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  couple of details , start putting a TYE WRAP JUST AFTER YOUR SHIFT BOOT , to hold it in place . also give it a silicone spray under its base fit , for a smoother staying / lasting set up . also noting the  PTO LEVER SET UP  , detailed the hell out of that for fit and function , added washers for snug fit , lubricate as I went , hi temp grease in the related bearings / function . improved every movement point .  my 3 horses , operate the same set up , no screaming clutch , no binding leverage point , horse build details were practically , non existent , thats where I  gained the most , quiet / solid function . also agree with @ebinmaine on the diesel fuel additive , to me , your unit sounds , like its carbon / fuel dirty , better fuel filter , consistent fuel additive . from your work , sure you will turn this around , pete    

sjoemie himself

Hi @peter lena, that tye wrap would be a waste of material because the shift boot is non-existing.

About your other points: I will definately go through the entire machine but not right now.

My GF uses it to haul manure bacause this is all we got that's up to the task at the moment.

The fuel filtering is probably next on the list, easy fix.

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

Minor progress, fixed/added new hood latches. Purists look away (again). I found the right style latches but they are a bit on the big side. That being said, they do work fine.

20230428_164305.jpg.3d596f2c1f4338939bc49934816dd838.jpg

Might have to trim down the rubber bit that's pointing inwards or flip it around.

20230428_164346.jpg.97d0546a3d76f614c4746d21e2e71925.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don
19 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Purists look away (again).

Functional folks, pay attention, of course! Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself

Had a fun experience shopping for these latches.. the ones I installed were the second set I purchased.

The first set was produced faulty. When you look at the picture below, notice that the 'rubber' part is wider than the holder. In other words there's no way to actually latch these latches.

I wrote 'rubber' because these things are about as flexible as a piece of concrete, okay maybe not that bad but certainly more like an ABS plastic than rubber. 

I mean, I know that overseas stuff is not always that great but this just straight up can not work. I found it pretty hilarious to be honest.

20230428_164436.jpg.fcdf4d24550395a666299ad305fdec14.jpg

All in all I would rate this product a solid 2/10.

The looks and size are good, just a pity it doesn't work at all. 

Would not recommend :mrgreen:

20230428_164456.jpg.d0b55ab1429577a94cce6750a7ccdf7a.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

The looks and size are good, just a pity it doesn't work at all. 

Clearly the latch designer and the hook designer are not on speaking the same language.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Well i've got another update on this machine, unfortunately not only good  news though..

Starting with the good. My sister and brother in law came to visit us today together with their three kids. They were'nt very interested before but now wanted to ride the 'ol Wheel Horse.

Took them for a ride and after a while let them ride it themselves (2nd gear, low range :law-policered:)

IMG-20230819-WA0001.jpg.84fe3f2fa95e0a25da78e2db8e9de94a.jpg

IMG-20230819-WA0002.jpg.67cbf6b270d3fed5a897b0a9df3b1bda.jpg

This one was with the engine off ofcourse! :law-policered:

IMG-20230819-WA0003.jpg.4dfbf2a8eec915da218eedd52e0e732e.jpg

After they left I went to the stable to empty the manure trailer.

After doing so I got back to the stable when my Robin engine started making some weird noises. At first I thought something rattled loose because of all the vibrating this machine does but I got worse so I had to shut her down. 

I'm guessing my Robin engine was rod-knocking before I shut her of.. so I walked home and got the car to pick up the stranded horse again.

IMG-20230819-WA0006.jpeg.2ec0ed692dc0c4d9bee2efd9052f6cfe.jpeg

Sad day!

I'm not sure what happened yet but am in no mood to investigate right now. 

If it indeed was the rod that was knocking I'm not positive if the engine is worth (or possible) saving. I'll have to sleep on this one.

• Sad 5

kpinnc
12 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

I'll have to sleep on this one.

Always a good idea when these things happen!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1