jusgettingbuy

New (to me) 523Dxi

jusgettingbuy

Just picked up a decent 523dxi two days ago.  New to the newer generation scene so any hints, tricks, tips, feedback are all very welcomed. The speed reduction linked to the steering is a joke. Great in theory but what mess.  Also, I understand these don't have manual locking rears but are the rears in those things some sort of limited slip/posi rear?  When I was test driving it I put the front wheels against a extremely tall curb to text the pump.  Both rear wheels would turn (same speed) going forward. Tried it twice and both wanted to spin like the differential locked into posi.  The ground was completely dry (asphalt)...Was happy to see that let me tell you.  Thanks again for continuing with what is absolutely the best user forum out there.  Any and all input is appreciated in advance.  As well as anyone who wants to sell any implements.

justin

bmsgaffer

No posi-traction, just a well balanced (well engineered) load and drivetrain! :handgestures-thumbupright:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I do believe its actually power steering. And if your moving along at a good clip and go to turn, it will slow you down, also a hi / lo range.

I have a 522xi,,,but a few have the diesel and will chime in. Best of luck,,,,btw,,,dont forget pictures. You bought a very very capable machine. Good luck. Not sure,,cruise control to,,,,,I am not a expert on your model.

Glenn

RMCIII

Justin:

The "XI" herd is very limited in here. that being said, those of us who have them have expierenced a lot during the ownership of them. Shallowatters - AKA John will chime in. He recently became the proud ower of a 523DXI. He aslo has a couple more. He and I chat often. We will tell you as I will. Besides not having a diff. lock, 3pt., and additional hydralics - the "xi" line of garden tractors is very robust and can handle a slew of chores.

Just my :twocents-02cents: . I use to be a green fan, actually still am, but that is besides the point. The green line has kept it's stock or inventory very well. The Wheel Horse, becasue it is no longer produced, I have found parts to be VERY EXPENSIVE. I try to use NOS or origional if I can. Others substitue with Napa, TSC, and other big name suppliers. The "xi" line was very limited in production so sales were also limited. This then makes for parts to be limited. When they are offered, they are offered at premium price, and generally the seller get's the asking price.

You have a great tractor and BTW - :WRS:  :wwp:

shallowwatersailor

Good to hear about your acquisition of a 523Dxi. I'm down around Rockville/Olney. I haven't found any quirks with mine other than it is tight under the dash to work on compared to the Kohler engine models, especially with the snow cab installed. Have you figured out the year for it? There were some changes made after the first year (1998) which can apply to the '98s. Also some engine maintenance depending on the number of hours. I have also found a larger oil filter with more media in place of the small OEM filter. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Having three of the 5xi model, I find them to be very capable machines.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Geno

Congrats on the new tractor Justin!   :handgestures-thumbsup:

:text-worthless:

• Like 2

Forest Road

Congrats! I have a 522 w a Kwik way loader. 1100 hours and going strong. It was poorly maintained. I did some minor repairs and adjustments. Overall Im very pleased with how well it's performed for me. Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer a 4x4 kubota BX. Dollar for dollar I doubt you'll find anything better.

Welcome to the Xi club

jusgettingbuy

Haven't had a chance to take pics yet.  Here are some pics previous owner sent me prior to purchase.  It definitely needs some cleaning up. A new seat/cover, a front bumper cover, a good compounding and some new decals.  I plan on changing the oil, coolant, hydro fluid/filter, spark plugs :ychain: , filters, etc...All the tires look recent. Power steering works great. No obvious leaks.  Valve cover either needs to be snugged-down or gasket replaced.  Deck has new center spindle shaft and bearings.  Originally came with a power-flow bagger but the previous owner did not get it from PO before him. At least the sheave is still there.  Hours are around 740. I forgot the actual number. 

It came with the grader blade, deck, and weights.  One weight is cracked pretty good.  Looking for a replacement.

As well as a set of 2 link chains. I'd love to find a set of rubber chains if anyone has a set going unused.

post-12338-0-06318700-1418408572_thumb.j

post-12338-0-22364600-1418408591_thumb.j

post-12338-0-12930500-1418408602_thumb.j

post-12338-0-77467700-1418408614_thumb.j

post-12338-0-45646000-1418408623_thumb.j

post-12338-0-03464200-1418408632_thumb.j

post-12338-0-24704000-1418408640_thumb.j

• Like 2

Brrly1

Nice tractor, one day maybe as I'm playing on the 520xi for now. Diesel getting cheaper and I'm loving that. Good luck with the New toy!!!

• Like 1

rexman72

great looking tractor

RMCIII

Good looking xi. Should clean up rather nice. BTW - those are 4 link chains.....

Rob

jusgettingbuy

Hey, Rob...Yes, those are 4 linkers but he kept them.  I had so many sets of chains (and weights) over the years...Just when you think you won't need anymore of a certain size...wham...I have a lead on weights and chains...we'll see if it pans out.  Have you (or anyone for that matter) ever had any experience with rubber chains?  We have a really long lane that is asphalt so just trying to cover all bases. 

shallowwatersailor

I have a set of rubber chains and like them. I used them on my 518xi when that was what I used during the winter. They do provide good traction but last year I used wheel weights (actually free weights on an adapter) and two suitcase weights on the back. I may install them on the 523Dxi with the snowthrower  this year because the diesel is about 100 pounds heavier in the nose. 

With all of the snow that we had last year I never had a problem with not putting the chains on, plus I do a driveway of neighbor that is at least a 15 degree slope. When we had the big storm I did use the Ariens walk behind though because I needed to move the snow out of the way.

Nice tractor, one day maybe as I'm playing on the 520xi for now. Diesel getting cheaper and I'm loving that. Good luck with the New toy!!!

John, I paid $3.11/gal yesterday for Off-Road diesel with the dye. Not too bad considering I always get premium for the gas versions and that was $3.19/gal at the same station.

• Like 1

jusgettingbuy

Dang, John..I am just outside of Bel Air, MD and gas is 2.59/gal and diesel is 2.99/gal...lucky to have it go down but they are still making billions off of us each year...scumbags!  I feel sorry for people who are self-employed and have to drive diesel trucks/equipment all day...It's really hard on the operator-owned guys. 

• Like 3

jusgettingbuy

By the way, the 523 is a 1998 serial number 8900400.  I was lucky enough to get all the original owners manuals for the tractor, deck, grader blade, and power flow bagger unit (which did not come with the tractor), as well as the original bill of sale for everything and all the little white owners copy cards for warranty registration with all model/serial numbers. Oh yeah, the seller even threw in an original brochure with the 5xi series, 260 series, and 300 series tractors from 1998 in near mint condition. 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Dang, John..I am just outside of Bel Air, MD and gas is 2.59/gal and diesel is 2.99/gal...lucky to have it go down but they are still making billions off of us each year...scumbags!  I feel sorry for people who are self-employed and have to drive diesel trucks/equipment all day...It's really hard on the operator-owned guys. 

Taxes to the local government. The station operators are lucky to make $0.02 a gallon, the rest goes to the oil companies.

Mine is a 1998 also with serial number 8900556 so a little newer off the assembly line, and it went into service in 2000. Pump the tires to 20 psi as the original 12 psi is too low. That is in the later year manuals for the same tires. Also the valve cover gasket is $27.00. If you got the Daihatsu manual from the PO, there is maintenance of checking valves clearances (if needed) and re-torquing the head at 600 hours. When adding oil to the engine, pour it SLOWLY in the center. The oil passages are small.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

By the way, the 523 is a 1998 serial number 8900400.  I was lucky enough to get all the original owners manuals for the tractor, deck, grader blade, and power flow bagger unit (which did not come with the tractor), as well as the original bill of sale for everything and all the little white owners copy cards for warranty registration with all model/serial numbers. Oh yeah, the seller even threw in an original brochure with the 5xi series, 260 series, and 300 series tractors from 1998 in near mint condition.

All that paper work is a bonus. I never saw a grader blade and thats sweet. Toss it in the shower and it will come out sweet.

Doesnt it drive comfy? And you can feel the capability. Coooool.

Glenn

jusgettingbuy

Only drove it around the parking lot but yes, it was very comfortable.  Adjustable seat and tilt wheel.  I will say, the power steering is nice!  Very smooth. Idle is set a little high but I am going to change fuel filter/air filter/engine oil next week and then see if I can adjust it down a notch.  From what I have read this seems to be the same Daihatsu that is in the Simplicity as a 24hp.  Maybe just a injector pump tweak?  We'll see.  If that is all it is I may have to adjust it.  If there is more to it I am not doing anything.  I want to keep the reliability where it belongs.  Oh, and speaking of Simplicity, I have a Simplicity and am on the Simplicity user forum as well.  I know I am repeating myself but this forum is by far the best out of any user forum I have seen or been a member of.  Don't get me wrong, there are great guys on that site, too but the way this site is set up and how everything just flows.  Hands down #1.

• Like 5

Forest Road

My horses are used at the family vacation house in NY state/ the grader blade is by far favorite accessory. Our driveway is 1200+ feet. That blade does an amazing job. I've also helped out the neighbors too its impressive. And mine is on a 314h. I'd love to have one on an Xi. Strictly for the extra 400lbs. Enjoy it!

On a side note. Check all your linkage. Steering and foot controls. Mine was so loose it wouldn't go over 3mph and steering was horrible. Now it's a pleasure to operate.

RMCIII

John's like me. If it does not say "Premium, or Off Road Use Only" I'm not buying it! Yep, you get what you pay for as they say... Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but gas, fuel is not something I mess with...... I've mentioned before it threads on other forums, I run premium in all my stuff. Some will say that is not necessary. I say, "have you seen the carbon build up on the exhaut tips, if you don't run premium gas or fuel? As Ripley would say, "Believe it, Or not!"

Rob

• Like 1

David Schmitt

Merry Christmas to all . as i am new to this site it is great to see all of the horse owners and the enthusiasm surrounding these tractors i purchased a 5lxi version with the Kawasaki engine it runs great but i too am always looking for the attachments for this machine i have the mower and snow blower but would love to find the dozer blade. I see that there are several people located in Maryland as i am located in Frederick so any info on parts and attachments would be greatly appreciated. As of this year i have not put the blower on have not needed it yetbut last year man did it throw some snow lots of fun 

Challenger

David,

Welcome to the 5xi family here at Red Square.

I've sent you a PM.

- Challenger