Berco

Dead 520LXI

Berco

Hello all. My battery in my 520LXI was going out, the lights would come on but the engine would not turn over. I put a 1.5 amp truckle charger on the battery when i left for a 4 days trip. I come back and the same. I also noticed i left the key in the run position (the hour meter did not run). I swap out batteries and now the mower is completely dead. When i turn the key - nothing. I verify the battery it good (13.04v), negative is connected to the engine block, voltage is good on the solenoid side of the starter. I out the key to run and try to jump to see if i can start and nothing. Not even a spark. I have used this mover for years and has 500 hours. Could the ignition switch or brake switch be bad? The seat switch is jumped.What else could cause my mower to be dead? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Berco

Pullstart

Without tracing power with a meter, it’s hard to tell.  My ignition switch was physically broken.  If you have any questions, this is what you’re up against.  It wasn’t bad.  I MENTIONED THE PART NUMBER for my correct switch.  Being liquid cooled, you should verify if it is the same.

953 nut

The only way to correct the problem is to diagnose the faulty component and replace it. Could be a battery cable, could be a fuse holder, do some checking around before throwing new parts at it.Safety switches seldom fail yet it seems that the predominant instinct around garden tractors is to bypass ALL safety switches.

Why won’t my starter turn over from the key switch?\

Lets take a logical step by step inspection of your starter problem.

Is your PTO in the ON position, a wheel horse will not start with the PTO on.

Have you had the battery load tested at an auto parts store?

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds?

Are all fuses good and fuse holders cleaned?

If these have all been done, we can check components of the starting system as follows; don’t skip a step or you may miss the problem.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and connect the black cable to your battery  "-" and a good clean spot on the engine. Now connect the other cable to the large post on the starter and touch the other end to the battery "+" terminal, does the starter turn over? If the starter turns over the battery and starter are good. If it didn't turn over try the same steps with the battery in your car/truck, if that cures the problem then the "good" battery wasn't so good.

Presuming the starter turned over move the jumper wire from the starter post to the other end of the wire going to the starter which is one of the large posts on the solenoid. If the starter turns over when the battery is touched by the jumper as before then that cable is good, if not you have found your problem.

Presuming the starter turned over move that jumper to the other terminal of the solenoid, connect the other end to the battery and use a small piece of wire to temporarily connect the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, this should cause the solenoid to close and the starter to turn over. If not, the solenoid is probably the problem.

If this was successful remove the large jumper cable and use the small jumper wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, the solenoid should close and the starter turn over. If not the cable to the battery is the problem.

Presuming all of these have been successful remove the black jumper wire and repeat the small jumper to small terminal, if the starter turns over the ground is good.

If all of these components test good then remove your ignition switch, be sure the transmission is in neutral, parking brake on, clutch depressed and PTO off. Use a small jumper to connect the terminals that were connected to the “B” and “S” terminals of the ignition switch. If the starter turns over then the PTO switch and other safety switches are operating properly and your ignition switch may be bad

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Berco
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The only way to correct the problem is to diagnose the faulty component and replace it. Could be a battery cable, could be a fuse holder, do some checking around before throwing new parts at it.Safety switches seldom fail yet it seems that the predominant instinct around garden tractors is to bypass ALL safety switches.

Why won’t my starter turn over from the key switch?\

Lets take a logical step by step inspection of your starter problem.

Is your PTO in the ON position, a wheel horse will not start with the PTO on.

Have you had the battery load tested at an auto parts store?

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds?

If these have all been done, we can check components of the starting system as follows; don’t skip a step or you may miss the problem.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and connect the black cable to your battery  "-" and a good clean spot on the engine. Now connect the other cable to the large post on the starter and touch the other end to the battery "+" terminal, does the starter turn over? If the starter turns over the battery and starter are good. If it didn't turn over try the same steps with the battery in your car/truck, if that cures the problem then the "good" battery wasn't so good.

Presuming the starter turned over move the jumper wire from the starter post to the other end of the wire going to the starter which is one of the large posts on the solenoid. If the starter turns over when the battery is touched by the jumper as before then that cable is good, if not you have found your problem.

Presuming the starter turned over move that jumper to the other terminal of the solenoid, connect the other end to the battery and use a small piece of wire to temporarily connect the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, this should cause the solenoid to close and the starter to turn over. If not, the solenoid is probably the problem.

If this was successful remove the large jumper cable and use the small jumper wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, the solenoid should close and the starter turn over. If not the cable to the battery is the problem.

Presuming all of these have been successful remove the black jumper wire and repeat the small jumper to small terminal, if the starter turns over the ground is good.

If all of these components test good then remove your ignition switch, be sure the transmission is in neutral, parking brake on, clutch depressed and PTO off. Use a small jumper to connect the terminals that were connected to the “B” and “S” terminals of the ignition switch. If the starter turns over then the PTO switch and other safety switches are operating properly and your ignition switch may be bad

Thank you. I will def use this. Now i have some homework to do. But my issue, specifically, is that nothing has power now, not just the starter.

Edited by Berco
  • Like 1

Lee1977

You have a dead tractor no power. Start at the battery wire back to the switch first. I had that problem about a i/4 mile back in the woods. Battery good, fuse good, no power coming out of the fuse box to the switch.

Edited by Lee1977

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

Berco
15 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

You have a dead tractor no power. Start at the battery wire back to the switch first. I had that problem about a i/4 mile back in the woods. Battery good, fuse good, no power coming out of the fuse box to the switch.

Thank you> And by switch, do you mean the ignition switch?

Berco
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:

I checked the 4 fuses to ensure they are intact. I did not clean them though. I will add that to the list.

• Thanks 1

doc724

First, I admit id did not read thoroughly all the details above.  However, I had a 520xi and from time to time a gremlin would get in and it would not start, even though I just shut if off a few minutes ago.  It happened enough that I learned that the seat safety switch is inside the seat and if I was not sitting properly on the seat (like leaning to one side) it would not start.  More than once, I pried apart the connector under the seat and shorted out the terminals on the harness side and it started right up.  This may not be your problem but worth considering. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

:soapbox:            Please don't eliminate any safety switches, they are there to ensure that you will not injure yourself.   Proper posture while on the seat would eliminate the problem.

• Excellent 1

Berco

gentlemen,

thank you all for your help. I found the issue. I started at the battery, by first removing it to see if the new battery was the issue. When doing that i noticed the positive wire harness had a previous repair. A new swedge fitting was put on to connect to the battery terminal by the previous owner, and it was never swedged. By luck, the heat shrink held it in place long enough to not have issues until i manipulated the fitting and pulled the wire out the back of the fitting. i got the fitting back on, swedged it, and i am off and running.

Edited by Berco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1