ri702bill

4 and 8 Speed Gear Oil availability

ri702bill

Seems that Walmart no longer carries the Conventional 75-90 nor the 85-90 mineral oil based Gear Oil for about $5 a quart - cannot even order it online thru them. I am not thrilled about spending $21 a quart for synthetic. Also, GL-4 single rated oil is almost impossible to find. The specific requirement is the the oil be yellow metal safe - there has been much discussion as to if GL-5 oils are if not specifically mentioned on the label.

I did order 2 quarts of VP Racing Classic GL-4 rated oil - the label says it is OK for yellow metals and is MT compatable.MT is the designation for Manual Transmission oil. Advance Auto, Auto Zone. O'Rielly's and NAPA had nothing on the shelf, other than Royal Purple full synthetic for $21. The other thing I ran into was MT-1 fluid for NON-synchronized gearboxes - I interpret that to mean not for brass parts.

@stevasaurus@peter lena, @squonk and any others I missed please offer suggestions. 

• Like 1

OutdoorEnvy

Man that will suck if that is the case.  I was there the other day looking for some and they were out but the space for them was there.  Was hoping they would get more in soon.  Hate to think they might not sell it like that anymore.  Even the 4 or 5 qt jug for like $15 or so was a bargain and that was out.  Now guys will start hoarding it like toilet paper a couple years ago...

• Like 2

wallfish

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I believe they are all GL-5.

• Like 1

wallfish
Just now, lynnmor said:

I believe they are all GL-5.

Hmmm. What about looking for marine applications for the lower units?

• Like 1

squonk

I don't think you will find GL-4 oil anywhere unless it's an old bottle. I use GL-5 and don't worry about it. 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

I don't think you will find GL-4 oil anywhere unless it's an old bottle. I use GL-5 and don't worry about it. 

In our manual transmissions what exactly is either brass or copper??

Quote from rymax lubricants:

Sulphur/Phosphorus additives however have an unfavourable property: they can react aggressively towards bronze and copper. This can be disastrous for the synchromesh rings of a gearbox. Therefore it is not recommended to use GL-5 in a gearbox unless the manufacturer allows this. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@ri702bill  realize gear oils , are getting difficult to get specific about , with fading availability, you might use a lucas " climbing gear oil " as part of your  refill , to enhance  the overall lubrication , agree with @wallfishon the marine application , why not ? you are  crawling around on your lawn at slow speed , think the most vital thing is to regularly check that dip stick , and change it regularly . after mowing , I  refill fuel add STA- BUL , to gas , check my dip stick, while i,m right there  , give everything a once over , keep that oil fresh , is your best bet , pete

• Like 4

squonk

A traditional GL-4 gear oil of any given viscosity has about ½ of the level of sulfur/phosphorous additive that would be in the GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without peeling a layer of brass (or less brass). This means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection, so in the differential of a high-powered car, it would not be the ideal product in the differential. To understand this need we should be aware of the fact that the differential is where the final torque is applied to the wheels (in most applications).

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

• Like 2

squonk

GL-4 was phased out July 2010

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I think the only "yellow" metal in the manual transmissions is the 2 bushings in each end of the cluster gear.  They are not copper...not sure if they are brass or bronze.  In all of the transmissions that I have been in, I have not had to replace those bushings.

I've been using the 90wt in the gallon jug from Tractor Supply with no issues for about 11 years now.  I do like to add a little Lucas Oil Treatment to these transmissions.  I think it quiets them down a little.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

@wallfish - Went to Tractor Supply the other day - none on the shelf, and the Manager was aware but it was a Supply Chain" issue.

@ebinmaine - there is a bronze sleeve bushing pressed into both ends of the cluster gear.

P7190180.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
1 minute ago, squonk said:

GL-4 was phased out July 2010

Worthy of removing our hats and a moment of silence........

• Like 2

ri702bill
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I think the only "yellow" metal in the manual transmissions is the 2 bushings in each end of the cluster gear.  They are not copper...not sure if they are brass or bronze.  In all of the transmissions that I have been in, I have not had to replace those bushings.

I've been using the 90wt in the gallon jug from Tractor Supply with no issues for about 11 years now.  I do like to add a little Lucas Oil Treatment to these transmissions.  I think it quiets them down a little.  :occasion-xmas:

Will it quiet down noisy grandkids too ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

squonk

My Power King has an old school Borg Warner T-92 transmission with noisy bearings as it was full of water when I got it about 15 years ago. Takes a 1/2 pint of lube. I have a combination of gear oil/ STP and Lucas oil treatment in it. Wanted to see how long it would last. It's still going

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Napa 75-210 gear oil. $11 a qt.

• Like 2

rmaynard

My local Walmart has Super Tech Gear Lubricant SAE 85W-140, 1 gallon jug in stock for $16.77. SAE 80-90 for $15.40

Must be a regional thing maybe??

• Like 2

ri702bill
8 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

My local Walmart has Super Tech Gear Lubricant SAE 85W-140, 1 gallon jug in stock for $16.77. SAE 80-90 for $15.40

May be the quiet call to stock up...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

34 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

May be the quiet call to stock up...

Agreed.  Bob check the back of the jug. If it's GL4 ya may wanna pick up a few.    

I can't get GL4 here anymore. 

I haven't bought gear oil in 3 or 4 years. 

I'm not even sure what I have... 😬

• Like 1

Mike C160

I get 80w90 from the marine guys. Many older lower ends require it.  

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Even that Marine lower unit oil may get more expensive and harder to find (but not impossible)...4 stroke outboards don't need it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

My question is, how much actual damage does the gl5 do to a Horse transmission?

Seems like some have been using it for years without issue.   

• Like 1

Mike C160
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Even that Marine lower unit oil may get more expensive and harder to find (but not impossible)...4 stroke outboards don't need it.  

Thats too bad. old EP 80w90 is all over the place up here. 

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Wasn’t there a thread on here not too long ago in which someone claimed, credibly, that the Wally World Super Tech was the exact same stuff as Mobil 1, if memory serves,  both coming from the same refinery?

• Like 1

JoeM

Why not use a 20W-50 motor oil. No Sulfur in motor oil so those yellow bushings are safe. 

There are good hydraulic transmission oils that will work good too. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1