Ed Kennell

Tractor Youth

SylvanLakeWH

Excellent story!!! :clap:

Thanks for passing on. We need to hear about these events… they do happen everyday, we just never hear about them…

• Like 6

JoeM

Sounds like Ed got the real reward! Would have like to see the smile on your face. :D

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

I see the tire missing Ed, great work guiding and trusting in the young’n to work that tiny thing out!  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

A number of years ago there was this poor kinda trashy family that rented a dumpy house up the road.  Once and awhile the kid about 12 or 13 would ride by on his bike and stop say hi check out the tractors cars etc...  

One day he stopped by asked if could borrow a shovel, a cordless sawzall and some of hand tools.  Sure I figured he was building a treehouse or whatever.

A couple hours later I drive up the road I see him with a big hole in the ground by the side of the house.  I stopped all confused I asked what he was doing.  Here the water line broke a week ago the landlord was no where to be found, here the kid had enough of his family having low or no water pressure and he dug it up himself with the shovel and spliced a piece of plastic and clamped it.  

I had a new level of respect for that kid that day.  Don't know what ever happened to the family they moved shortly after.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

formariz
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Sounds like Ed got the real reward! Would have like to see the smile on your face. :D

Well said and quite right. Rewarded with the hope for the next generations, not only for the talent shown but also for the kindness and willingness to help someone in need. Lets also not forget the title of post "tractor youth" for the choice of using it has a lot of meaning and it is well chosen. Many may not understand it but we on here do. We constantly witness it in our young ones, not only the skills and talents learned from this crowd, but more importantly the character built from associating with all the wisdom surrounding them. Stepping aside allowing and  watching with pleasure someone over half a century younger skillfully complete a job one found difficulty with. That is character, and the kind of attitude that  allows the younger ones to want to learn and emulate. It brings back memories of so many great men I was fortunate to come across in my life. Opportunity and recognition, two qualities unfortunately seldom shown to the younger ones

7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

an incident that's worth relating to you guys.

Indeed Ed.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Pullstart

While at the show, many people noticed a fella named Donny cruising on his 702 at slow speed and an incredibly high rpm.  My best guess is that engine was spinning 5k.  @Jrblanke, Van (wheel n it?) and I were hanging out back by the loading docks (where all the cool kids hang out) and James and Van decided to ask him why.  He had a simple and convincing reason.  He was stuck in first gear!  We quickly offered to help instead of wondering any longer if he was deaf… and used James’ tire iron to pop the super rusted shift lever out of first and got all gears working.  That poor K-161 was screaming for over a day by then, smoking out the vent and all.  We were sure he was gonna blow it up!  Once we got him on his way, he stopped just before the ice cream social and asked if he could deliver it from Biglerville all the way to my house for a year long restoration project!  I’ll be set to deliver it to next year’s show and have room to pick up the yellow machine from Jay!  If it weren’t for James, having the no-shame attitude he has, we might have never met Donny and most likely would have had a split Kohler by now!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 4

Jrblanke
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

While at the show, many people noticed a fella named Donny cruising on his 702 at slow speed and an incredibly high rpm.  My best guess is that engine was spinning 5k.  @Jrblanke, Van (wheel n it?) and I were hanging out back by the loading docks (where all the cool kids hang out) and James and Van decided to ask him why.  He had a simple and convincing reason.  He was stuck in first gear!  We quickly offered to help instead of wondering any longer if he was deaf… and used James’ tire iron to pop the super rusted shift lever out of first and got all gears working.  That poor K-161 was screaming for over a day by then, smoking out the vent and all.  We were sure he was gonna blow it up!  Once we got him on his way, he stopped just before the ice cream social and asked if he could deliver it from Biglerville all the way to my house for a year long restoration project!  I’ll be set to deliver it to next year’s show and have room to pick up the yellow machine from Jay!  If it weren’t for James, having the no-shame attitude he has, we might have never met Donny and most likely would have had a split Kohler by now!

I had the easy job of flagging him down and holding the flashlight. You are the one that fixed that shifter! Well done sir.

Also, I'm assuming you tagged me since I'm a year younger than you, which makes me one of these "youths" and you the older generation. 😆😆😆

In all serious, thanks for the shout out. Having grenaded a K181 about 5 years ago due to over revving, I recognized the situation and didnt want him to do the same! 

Lots of great people in thus hobby. @857 horse tells about his first show where his wheel fell off and before he could get off the tractor, @wallfish and several others were already sliding the jack underneith like they were part of stock car pit crew.

Great story @Ed Kennell, thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Heart 4