stevasaurus

Re-wire for my 702

squonk

New HD Cole Hersee switch and larger wire on my 1075IMG_20220423_133738338.jpg.4fcf6bdf3ca8a1131ab35c80c0eea770.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Lol the PO musta been a smoker the lighter is where the start button should be!

Tell ya what I would do Dino is ditch the lighter. You don't gag anyway. Go back to an orginal start button. It will bolt right in ther & we can whip you up some new cables toot sweet if needed.  I got rolls of fine strand trolling motor cable that is the cats meow for making them. Better than butchering up jumper cables and all copper.

Dan and I solder the terms on and shrink wrap them.  Then you can use an orginal style two prong switch as :wh: intended which would be correct for a 702. The whole thing is sailor proof and works. 

My 753 with the relocated panel just has a toggle switch. 

Tuna you need cables too say the word we like you alot more than Squonky! :lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 2

tunahead72
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

... Tuna you need cables too say the word we like you alot more than Squonky! :lol:

Jeez, you guys are tough!

I may take you up on that some day soon, looking for places to replace and add grounds on all three of my tractors.  I'll be at the big show in June, I'll be in touch long before then once I figure out what I want and need.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

As I was taking pictures yesterday, I was checking the connections and wiggling the wires.  Where the battery cable goes to the ignition switch is loose in the switch.  I wiggled it a few times, checked the oil, and gave here a crank (like for 10 seconds)...no smoke.  So I pulled the spark plug, cleaned and checked the gap.  I put the plug back in and gave a squirt of penetrating oil in the carb.  She popped right off and ran great...took her for a ride.  :occasion-xmas:

I'll have to think about going back to starter button and switch, but I do want to replace those battery cables.  I'll measure them and let you know.  I appreciate the offer @Achto & @WHX??.  :USA:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

On some S/G units the terminals of the regulator come uncomfortably close to either the Gas Tank or the engne block.  (Variations I guess in pulleys and belt lengths.)  Rather than using the small screws to mount the saddle to the Genny body just get a hose clamp big enough to fit around the Genny body use that to hold the regulator and you can adjust for clearance.  Just make sure you remove some paint from the genny body under the saddle for a good ground.

• Like 4

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi I'm sure you already have this.but just in case you might even be done by now but this is what I used on my 702 I don't have any hydraulics it looks like with pumps and hoses it might make it tougher routing wires

Screenshot_20220424-152126_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

@Elliot Garfinkel  Yes, that is the schematic I have.  My wiring is a little different because I have a 3 prong ignition switch.  I should draw up what I have so to post it for those that have the different ignition.  :thumbs:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@pfrederi You are correct about the closeness of the regulator contacts to the gas tank.  See this picture, which has a piece of tape, under the paint, to protect the contacts.

DSCF9516.JPG

I will be addressing this issue.  Maybe a shorter belt will give more room there??  I have different material also that could be used on the gas tank.  I might also be able to protect the contacts themselves with something.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

OK...I have contacted a source for making my 6 gage cables.  I have also ordered the Cole Hersee #95521-B-BX ignition switch.  $44.89 shipped from dbelectric.com.  I decided that I did not want to go with the push button / on off switch that came with the 702.  I also want to keep the cigarette lighter because...1. it was my Dad's, 2. I just might want to have a cigar again with @stevebo at the Big Show and share some Rock & Rye.  3. @WHX?? may need a light.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

@ebinmaine  Seems you had a double post.  We might have deleted at the same time.  Anyway, yes, maybe a new belt or one 1/2" shorter would solve the issue.  Have some options.

• Like 3

squonk

Steve, Napa 25-7320 is the belt I use on the small block genny engines (Motors) :hide: :)  Rubber edged cogged belt. Gets me right in the middle of the adjustment slot and enough room for the regulator. If you take the wires off the regulator you can slide some heat shrink on the wire re attach and then insulate the terminals with the shrink. 

25-7320

Belt Angle: 36 Deg
Belt Construction: Notched
Belt Material: Ethylene (EPDM)
Brand: NAPA
Cord Material: Polyester
Cross Section Designation of Belt: HC41
Effective Length: 32 in
Manufacturer: Gates
Notched Belt: Yes
Number of Strands: 1
Outside Circumference: 32.82 in
SDS Required: No
Top Width: .41
UNSPSC: 26111801
V-Belt Type: V-Belt
VMRS Code: 065-005-003
Weight: 0.16
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Ran into the same problem on the 702 flame Steve. Since I was doing all new custom wiring I flipped the reg. around but note I was about at the end of the adjustment on the belt tension. 

I may have went with the wrong belt tho crs. :confusion-shrug:

16 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

want to keep the cigarette lighter because...1. it was my Dad's,

Did he use it to....1 Charge his phone ....2 Run his pellet grille? :D

20200312_193956.jpg

20200312_194012.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The 6 ga wires are ready to be mailed.  :occasion-xmas:  I ordered the Cloe-Hersee 95521-B-BX  $44.89 from D B Electrical yesterday afternoon.  Guess what??  It got delivered this morning...not even a day later.  UPS

IMG_20220426_103105563.jpg.0fc1654f25d758f244ee1553ea0eb220.jpg

DSCF9523.JPG

DSCF9524.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Snoopy11

PAGE 2...? Already?

@ebinmaine... you may have competition... @stevasaurus is trying to catch up to your Colossus thread!!!

The forum says... "One MILLION posts! Thank you to all our members!"

3/4 of those are from Eric...

Anyway... you need to get some 4 gauge welding ground wire and make your own cables, Steve... then you wouldn't have to wait a day for them to come... :teasing-poke:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
SPeLlINg

stevasaurus

I believe I have some welding cables over at my Dad's.  I also have a good 4 sets of jumper cables hanging around here.  I can wait a few days for the wires...it happens to be almost freezing out the next couple of days.  I found I also have a few spools of 12 ga & 14 ga along with a whole tray of assorted connectors and shrink tubing...and about 3 crimping tools.  :orcs-cheers:

• Excellent 2

stevasaurus

Dang Jim, that Candy Apple Red sure is incredible.  Makes me wonder if the Ponds saw that, they would have used it.  :thumbs:

• Excellent 1