stevasaurus

Re-wire for my 702

Moparfanforever

Sorry I can't help with the wiring , but looking forward to seeing how you do it. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

open the starter/generator and see how the brushes look and the magnets

If you've even begun to consider this you should absolutely do it. 

12 gauge is good for most everything. OE is likely 14 gauge. 

I use 4 gauge for my homemade battery cables. 6 really should be fine.  

If you don't already have the wire, try to find full copper. Not CCA. (Copper Clad Aluminum.)

If you'd like a few feet of 14 gauge 7 conductor trailer wiring harness I'd be happy to send some.  

It is NOT original. 

That's what I use to rewire all of our Horses.  

Looking forward to seeing this.   

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

The problem with the OE 702 wiring is that all the current for starting runs thru the 2-terminal push button switch - the key switch just controls the coil circuit. I have changed to the later solenoid, using the push button to activate it, to cut the amperage (and resistance) thru the button. Did similar to the 854 8 speed...

Bill

• Like 3

squonk

@stevasaurus The starter draws around 65 amps when cranking and inrush is close to 85. I would run 4 ga. cables to the battery, genny and switch if you got room.

BATTERY CABLE SIZE 50 AMPS 100 AMPS 150 AMPS 200 AMPS 300 AMPS
6 GAUGE (AWG)  11.8 ft 5.9 ft 4.4 ft  2.9 ft 2.2 ft
4 GAUGE (AWG)  18.8 ft  9.4 ft 6.3 ft  4.7 ft 3.1 ft
Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
56 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I am going to check wires and replace them (12 gage)??

With the exception of the battery/starter wires you can use 16 gauge. Auto parts stores all sell primary wite in short rolls.

I agree with @ri702bill about installing a solenoid and a 103 990 ignition switch. This drawing is what I would use to do the wiring. You should be fine with the 6 gauge battery wites because the runs are so hort that voltage drop isn't going to be a problem.

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Whether you go 6ga or 4 ga spend a few bucks and get the extra flexible cable.  So much easier to route it an hook it up puts much less strain on the switch terminal

cable1.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

squonk

Another thing, when it's apart, Take the generator mounts off of the engine and clean the mounting surfaces so you don't lose any voltage because of rust and dirt. When I built my engine run stand I experimented with paint, rust and dirt on a mounting surface and dropped .6v just with a rusty lower genny mount.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

Good point Mike, I have started running the ground cable directly to the S/G attachment bolt to be sure there is good continuity.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

spend a few bucks and get the extra flexible cable

That there is good advice.  

1 hour ago, squonk said:

rusty lower genny mount

47 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Good point Mike, I have started running the ground cable directly to the S/G attachment bolt to be sure there is good continuity.

Thanks for bringing that up boys. 

I'm not sure I was aware of that being a bad ground point.   

• Like 4

JPWH

@stevasaurus I found that I could buy a cheap set of jumper cables cheaper than I could buy single strand battery cable by the foot.

Jay

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

@stevasaurus I found that I could buy a cheap set of jumper cables cheaper than I could buy single strand battery cable by the foot.

Jay

Need to be a picky shopper there, so many jumper cables on the lower end of the price list are copper plated aluminum wire. Just one example from a store many of us shop at.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/forney-52881-6-booster-cables-16-ft?cm_vc=-10005

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

JPWH

Some of the copper clad al are more expensive than fine strand copper. I found fine strand copper at Wally world for around $20.00. the ends are junk but the wire is good.

• Like 1

953 nut

Good to know, got to shop around. I had the set from TS in my cart before I read the fine print and saw the materials list.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Steve, first you stated that you do not have the starter button. That tells me it's been (not surprisingly) rewired before. The original key switch on a 702 won't work as it's only a SPST maintained contact. It would have to have been replaced with a switch that not only has the maintained contacts but the momentary start contacts. If the proper switch wasn't installed that can handle the starter load that would explain the smoke. My 854 originally uses a 4988 switch designed to handle the starter load. It's still available but I don't remember the new number but it's available. But the bottom line is that a solenoid is a better set up. I originally rewired my 854 using a new (pretty expensive) replacement for the original 4988 but have since rewired again using a solenoid. 

As far as wire size you don't need 12 ga, Like Richard said 16 ga in big enough but my preference is 14 ga. #6 is plenty big enough for the starter wires. As mentioned use the fine strand for flexibility (think welding cable). There more than one guy on Ebay that will make the cables color coded and to your length, install the size terminals you need and heat shrink. Delivered they cost less than you can buy the cable alone for. 

As mentioned several times and something you know, the connections are the critical. Running bigger wire won't make up for a bad connection. 

Using store bought jumper cables is an option. I purchased two sets of the Everstart cables from Walmart for a somewhat unique starting set up on our home generator but they are only copper clad. If they don't say 100% copper they most likely aren't. That being said copper clad doesn't make them bad. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Heavy switch:

• Cole Hersee Part No.: 95521-B-BX
  • Package Type: Boxed
  • Number of positions: 3
  • With anti-restart: No
  • Actuator: Hencol Key
  • Positions: Off - Ign - Start
  • Spring return to Off Spring Return to Run
  • Terminals: 3 Screw
  • O-Ring seal in stem: Yes
  • With harness: No
  • With key boot: No
  • Ignition/Run: 25A/12V DC
  • Start: 70A/12V DC
  • Removable key: Key Removeable in Off Position Only
  • Case material: Plated steel
  • Sealed terminal insulator: Yes
  • Ground terminal: No
  • Mounting stem: 5/8 (15.88mm)
  • Contacts: Silver
  • Mounting panel thickness: 1/8 (3.17)
  • Ignition-proof: SAE J259
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

Also check for corrosion on the regulator wiring tabs.  Especially the GEN tab if underneath your regulator.  I had one pretty corroded on my 754 tractor but it was not running and sat for years.  The A and F teapots terminals on the Starter generator should be real clean and free from paint, grime etc.  plus using brass flange nuts makes a better connection.  

798F12A7-1498-4263-A358-541C5E56C65C.jpeg

14489917-4335-4F64-8DE2-2C706B763438.jpeg

E05B7CF2-6C0B-4083-85E3-ECB90FFD31D5.jpeg

4F7617E6-B78F-4583-93E3-3849E8E7DDBE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I always "upsize " cables when I can. Here's why:

I had a 84 Honda Goldwing. These are known for hard starting when hot. I had to get push started by my riding buddies a couple of times. Embarrassing! I bought a brand new 450 CCA battery, new starter and all new 6 ga. cables. All OEM. It improved things but I still had starting issues when hot. Took the cables off an had a set of 4 ga. cables made up to match the length and ends. Put those on and it felt like the starter was going to flip the bike over it cranked so fast. hot or cold.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

tunahead72
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

... There more than one guy on Ebay that will make the cables color coded and to your length, install the size terminals you need and heat shrink. Delivered they cost less than you can buy the cable alone for...

Bob, are there any sellers in particular you could mention?

• Like 2

squonk

I have a shop near by that rebuilds starters and generators that make mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

guy on Ebay that will make the cables color coded and to your length,

Yah and his name is @Achto. And they are nice ones and end with a four letter word starting with F. for you, maybe even Tuna. I'm sure he would make some for ya but not Squonky.... :ychain:

Dave Brown @new2horses has the replacement 70 amp switch if you don't want to go back to the OEM heavy start switch.

Better yet if you can make it till Portage show bring her up and we'll rewire it there. Give us something to do other than drink.... :occasion-xmas:

My 70 amp switch smokes abit too but only when the SG locks up due to a non-acr cam.

Hosen says letter smoke! :lol:

C5DE6887-ED19-4E87-8D1D-B8E2346C187E.jpeg.515def4de0e501cfba20ee09b5e7e160.jpeg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Racinbob
55 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Bob, are there any sellers in particular you could mention?

No. I've probably ordered 5 or 6 times but there's a bunch that make them. I just tried to search my orders but Ebay isn't letting me. Just do a search for battery cables and you'll have several to choose from. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Holy Starter Switch Batman !!!  I started this thread yesterday, come down here this morning and I see all this OUTSTANDING information.  Got an 80 degree day today.  I was going to pull out the 702 and take some pictures, now I have to pull it out.  Thanks guys.

I do not have the push button start on this horse.  I have a feeling the HY-2 was added after the horse was bought.  I wonder if the Dealer may have re-wired it at that point.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Pictures...as you can see, plenty of bad spots.  The ignition is 3 prong and uses a Wheel Horse key.  :thumbs:  It does have a working cigarette lighter above the ignition.  It had lights, but I removed them.

DSCF9508.JPG

DSCF9509.JPG

DSCF9510.JPG

DSCF9511.JPG

DSCF9512.JPG

DSCF9513.JPG

DSCF9514.JPG

DSCF9515.JPGDSCF9516.JPG

DSCF9517.JPG

DSCF9518.JPG

DSCF9519.JPG

DSCF9520.JPG

DSCF9521.JPG

DSCF9522.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

You got some big heavy cables there, That one to the gen itself looks a bit iffy. A good clean up of all the ends will help a lot. I'd be willing to bet the innards of the switch are ready to give up the ghost being as old as it is. :banana-wrench:

• Like 2