WheelHorse520H

Ethanol Free Gas

Maxwell-8

remember when removing the ethanol out of the gas, you also lower it's octane rating

great idea! @Skipper

Using 2stroke oil right before the horse is going to the shed. good to keep the gastank from rusting and keeps the cylinder lightly oiled to prevent corrosion there. Only if you use it all the time, in the longrun, I think you would see some extra carbon build-up.

Edited by Maxwell-8
2stroke
  • Like 1

Skipper
58 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I think you would see some extra carbon build-up.

You would think so yes, but I have not seen anything like that at all. The one I use is fully synthetic, and burns clean off. Cant even see it on the plugs.

WheelHorse520H
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Only if you use it all the time, in the longrun, I think you would see some extra carbon build-up.

That’s the thing, I’ve heard that if it sits too long it’s not good, but in the winter they plow my driveway, in the spring they do a little cleanup from our storms, in the summer they mow, and in the fall they clean up leaves. The longest they sit is when they are undergoing maintenance, which is hopefully only a couple of weeks. I might buy more cans and just take the trip for better gas. I think that’s really the only way to keep them healthier for longer.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

buy more cans and just take the trip for better gas

That really is the best overall solution.

I believe you can haul up to 30 gallons of gasoline. That may vary state to state. I stick to about 20 because that seems to be a decent time interval between fill ups for us and how we use our machines.

I've read multiple places that non-e-gas has a nice easy shelf life of 6 months plus. Some folks say twice that or more. I may add another 5 gallon can to my routine.

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Using 2stroke oil right before the horse is going to the shed

Before long term storage of my 2 and 4 stroke outboards and tractors,  I mix a concentrated fuel cocktail of E-10, 2 stroke oil, and marine Sta-Bil.

Start the engine, then stick the fuel line in the cocktail and run it till it sucks in a pint or stalls out.   Then pull the plugs and fog the cylinders stroking each piston several times.

These outboards are used in salt water and I never had one lock up or had a fuel or starting problem in the spring.

I do drain the 2 stroke tanks and burn it in my 4 stroke tractors truck, and car at about a 100/1 mix.

• Excellent 2

lynnmor
30 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

That’s the thing, I’ve heard that if it sits too long it’s not good, but in the winter they plow my driveway, in the spring they do a little cleanup from our storms, in the summer they mow, and in the fall they clean up leaves. The longest they sit is when they are undergoing maintenance, which is hopefully only a couple of weeks. I might buy more cans and just take the trip for better gas. I think that’s really the only way to keep them healthier for longer.

I don't use ethanol free except in my two cycle equipment.  I have had no issues with the tractors since my usage is much like yours.  All of my regular gas and diesel fuel is purchased in the state below mine ever since the large tax increase nearly four years ago.  When I make a fuel run, I carry a number of cans and make other purchases as well.  There is no out of state ethanol free within a reasonable distance, so I do buy that minor amount locally.  If you keep the tractors in service and have ethanol resistant fuel lines there should be no need to drive long distances and pay more.

• Like 2

peter lena

@WheelHorse520H  never had any issues with ethanol gas  since having STA- BIL in every bit of my fuel , each time i mow use about  1 ,1/2  gallons gas , fill  the neck  of my stabil bottle , add to tank and top off fuel . all 3 fuel systems are clean and clear . not only is it effective but its  dollars cheaper than aviation  gas . fuel bowls  are clean and clear , 2  filters on each horse , one at  tank area , another at the carb zone . this has been working for me, pete  

WheelHorse520H

Thanks @lynnmor and @peter lena , since I don’t park my machines for the winter or anything, I’ll just stabilize the fuel. It makes more sense financially right now and my 520 has new fuel lines that I believe are ethanol resistant, and my 607 has a new engine that I believe was designed around ethanol. 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

You would think so yes, but I have not seen anything like that at all. The one I use is fully synthetic, and burns clean off. Cant even see it on the plugs.

This picture is from the Stihl catalogue. they claim a piston after 500 hours of run time looks when using Stihl 50:1 full synthetic two stroke. I barely see any carbon. quite impressive!

DSC_0418.JPG.35a203abb4b0bd8b68cfc37347cdac10.JPG

peter lena

@WheelHorse520H  my horses run year round , with plowing and throwing in winter , regularly rotate them on usage and a regular look see. switched my horses over to all clear fuel grade vinyl lines , no issues , they don't degrade like the rubber does. regularly plug in my horses to battery tenders over cold weather, just like to keep them active , pete

• Like 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

remember when removing the ethanol out of the gas, you also lower it's octane rating

This is where octane booster comes into play.

Don

WheelHorse520H
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

This is where octane booster comes into play.

Don

That was part of the video I saw that sparked this discussion. 

WheelhorseBob

I restored a classic Boston Whaler Outrage in 2013. Repowered with a not too cheap Honda BF90 and every marina around here recommended Startron. It works and will prevent ethanol damage from extended storage. I can only vouch for 6-7months. That being said pure gas is better in every way.

• Like 1

cod

Interesting topic and as I've been wondering about trying to remove the ethanol I went out and found the website below.  Not sure if it's something I'll try but I thought I'd share it.  For the past couple of years I've been buying ethanol free gas at a Royal Farms store in PA but lately with the increase in gas prices I've been running 91 octane from local stations in MD and crossing my fingers. Hopefully the additives help....

https://sciencing.com/remove-ethanol-gasoline-7830109.html

Cod

• Like 2

davem1111

Since the recent discussions about Non-E gas were in the "What have you done to your Wheel Horse today", I thought I'd move my new comments here.

I found a station that's only about a mile out of my way on my trip home from dropping my son off at school.  Verified that they have the pump this morning.  Got my cans ready (3 x 5 gallon + one 2 gallon) and planning to fill them up in the morning.  Will be draining all the tractors and generators and switching to that. :banana-rock:

Edited by davem1111
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Will be draining all the tractors and generators and switching to that. :banana-rock:

EXCELLENT 👍👍👍