ebinmaine

Headed downward again. :-)

Pullstart

I’m pulling for ya, we’re all in this together.  - Red Green

• Like 4

Pullstart

Great job speaking your goal, with the right method of getting there in a healthy way EB!  I am not a big person,  but have battled weight too in the past.  Actually, I don’t much battle weight, but over indulging on the things that make me heavy.  FOOD!  SUGAR!  After kids, it seemed Mrs. P was in the morning sickness stage for 8 of the 9 months and I ate along with her.  I went from 185 to 235.  I’m 5’7” and for my height, that was quite big.  I got down to 169 fully dressed but didn’t really feel the best and have kept in the 185-200 range since.  I recall a day that a package came in to the tool crib at work that was for my department, so I carried the 40 lbs across shop (I think it covered 17 acres total then, it’s a big building!) and couldn’t believe how wasted my body was after carrying that box for just minutes, when at one point I hauled more than that with me everywhere I went.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

couldn’t believe how wasted my body was after carrying that box for just minutes, when at one point I hauled more than that with me everywhere I went

It's an incredible difference.

I had dropped over 90 lb but then stayed at a static net of around 75 or 80 and I remember having the same feeling. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Also to note, we’ve tried many different diets.  Keto was very informative and effective.  We don’t follow it any more, but have used the idea of having high fat content foods and oils as being a good thing.  That’s the fat your body needs.  Sugars and carbs (still sugars) are bad fat as you know.

MY MOST EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS STRATEGY though, was every prepared meal from home or eating out, half of my serving was promptly put into leftovers via a to go box or tupperware.  Taking half of what my eyes wanted was about exactly what my body needed.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Also to note, we’ve tried many different diets.  Keto was very informative and effective.  We don’t follow it any more, but have used the idea of having high fat content foods and oils as being a good thing.  That’s the fat your body needs.  Sugars and carbs (still sugars) are bad fat as you know.

MY MOST EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS STRATEGY though, was every prepared meal from home or eating out, half of my serving was promptly put into leftovers via a to go box or tupperware.  Taking half of what my eyes wanted was about exactly what my body needed.

That's an interesting strategy that sounds very effective.

A friend of ours tried keto and had GREAT success with it.

I tried it myself and found that I was one of the small percentage that just did NOT react well to it at all. That type of craptosis feeling supposedly goes away after a few days or a week but I only put up with it for a short time. working physically for a living and being as busy as we are all the time I just can't afford to feel that way.

I am able to follow what some people would refer to as the Paleo program which is very similar but does include some carbs.

I find that my problem is not so much portion control during a specific meal but more like the small snacks in between all the meals....

• Like 1

Pullstart

And just as bad, not eating at all.  Lately, it’ll be 4 pm and I realize I haven’t eaten lunch and my breakfast was too light.  Then I eat dinner and am hungry again before bed.  

• Like 2

slim67
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been larger than average since around age 10. My whole maternal side of the family wrestles with weight and to a lesser extent my father's side as well. 

Back in 2013/4  I went through several significant life changes, socially and physically. 

One of these was dropping my weight from approximately 325 to 233 over the course of a year or so. 

Towards the last part of that I was losing too much too fast and not feeling quite right. 

I stopped the quest for loss and focused very much on hiking toward endurance, literally.

My weight settled in around 245. Stayed there for 2 or 3 years. 

In 2017 I noticed a more frequent aching all around. Mostly joints. Certainly some muscle and tendon as well. 

It was exhausting me to work a full day. My recliner and I became very good friends due to lack of choice. 

In November that year I began to wonder how long I'd be able to hike bigger mountains and even keep an active job. 

So I went and consulted with the doctor. Tried a few things here and there. 

Basically just dealt with whatever it was day to day for another couple years. 

Last summer I tried some new things. Krill pills to get the Omega 3s. A new med for pain management. 

Definitely on a better path now and happy about that. 

Now for the weight.... On Sunday 1/17/21 was up to 272.4 and I find that... Unacceptable. 

I've been working out and training in martial arts with Trina once or twice a week for several months. Also been doing a few other things. Aerobic type stuff. Weight training. Treadmill.

not enough to make a difference in my weight obviously but it is helping some.

So it's time to step it up a notch.

I've been trying a VERY reduced gluten eating pattern. 

I'll step up the exercise plan a little bit as well. 

I'm going to aim to get back down around that 230 lb area...

Here we go folks!

Best of luck and stay the course.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Well I have spoken about this before. I have had cancer in both my throat and pancreas. Before my treatments and surgeries I was 345 lbs. I am also 6'5" tall so I was a very big man. During my hospital stay after surgery to my throat and stomach I wasnt able to eat anything orally. Just through an IV for around 6 weeks. Once I was able to eat orally again it was time to start the radiation to my face and throat. So it was try and swallow what I could or pump it through a feeding tube that they put in my stomach. During this time Feb - Sept I went from 345 lbs to 265 lbs. It is now a year later and I am holding steady at 270 lbs. Big changes are some foods I cant eat anymore because of them being hard to swallow. Like its hard to swallow the crust on pizza so I dont eat it anymore. Also I dont eat anywhere near the portion sizes as I used to. Since starting my new employment I walk a lot. I only work part time but it is a lot of movement. According to the fitbit watch I walk 15,000 steps thats about 7+ miles a shift. All that being said I am still 270 lbs. That makes me still obese on most charts. Some guys are just bigger. Dont be so concerned with a weight number. Shoot for just feeling better by eating better and getting exercise in. The better you feel is more important then the number on the scale. As always... Do not take your health for granted !!! It all can change so quickly.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Well I have spoken about this before. I have had cancer in both my throat and pancreas. Before my treatments and surgeries I was 345 lbs. I am also 6'5" tall so I was a very big man. During my hospital stay after surgery to my throat and stomach I wasnt able to eat anything orally. Just through an IV for around 6 weeks. Once I was able to eat orally again it was time to start the radiation to my face and throat. So it was try and swallow what I could or pump it through a feeding tube that they put in my stomach. During this time Feb - Sept I went from 345 lbs to 265 lbs. It is now a year later and I am holding steady at 270 lbs. Big changes are some foods I cant eat anymore because of them being hard to swallow. Like its hard to swallow the crust on pizza so I dont eat it anymore. Also I dont eat anywhere near the portion sizes as I used to. Since starting my new employment I walk a lot. I only work part time but it is a lot of movement. According to the fitbit watch I walk 15,000 steps thats about 7+ miles a shift. All that being said I am still 270 lbs. That makes me still obese on most charts. Some guys are just bigger. Dont be so concerned with a weight number. Shoot for just feeling better by eating better and getting exercise in. The better you feel is more important then the number on the scale. As always... Do not take your health for granted !!! It all can change so quickly.

Absolutely agreed with taking your health for granted and also the specific number of someone's weight.

I should clarify here that mine is only a rough goal and not by a long shot set in stone.

I'm a little over six foot one and I have a very wide frame.

In the past I've had a doctor that told me basically the same thing as you. They have charts. They have statistics. I'm actually off the high end of everyone that he had access to as far as bone size and structure.

The all-knowing charts showed him that someone might height should have been somewhere between 170 and 220. 

He said if I was much less than 220 I'd look like a stick pin. 

• Haha 1

Stormin
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

He said if I was much less than 220 I'd look like a stick pin. 

Guess that makes me a stick pin. 6ft and 182lb. I can eat what I want, as much as I want and stay the same. Built like a greyhound but not as fast.:D

• Haha 3

pacer

No doubt that overweightness ..?? is rampant in our country.

While I am fortunate to not have a problem with weight (5'11"- 175lbs at 81yrs) My very dear friend was 6'2" and hovered around 270/290lbs - on experiencing some chest pain at around 50yrs he finally went to dr where he was told his main problem was he was over weight and was weakening other critical areas of his body - at that time his kidney (right on edge of being diabetic) and was told he needed to get down to around 200-210lbs, get on meds to lower his BP -- and, change his diet! So hes telling me that dr was nuts, that if he weighed 210 he couldnt function, etc etc. So he wouldnt go back to no dr that was gonna tell him THAT!! Well he showed that dr, he never did any of those things!! and, several months ago one morning his wife found him in the lazy boy ... DEAD! Damn him, I sure do miss that guy!!

• Sad 3

ebinmaine

@pacer

My condolences.

I have some decent genetics in some areas such as my circulatory system and overall strength and health but not so good luck in in the areas of pain sensitivity.

I think it's important to take lessons from folks like your friend and try to correct things 10% before it's too late. 

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Guess that makes me a stick pin. 6ft and 182lb. I can eat what I want, as much as I want and stay the same. Built like a greyhound but not as fast.:D

That's more like what BBT is.

She's literally about half my size and eats nearly as much as I do. She's just always on the go and right sideways full of energy.

• Like 2

roadapples

As you've  all heard, everything  that tastes good isn't  good  for  you. I for one feel that's  pretty much the case...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, roadapples said:

As you've  all heard, everything  that tastes good isn't  good  for  you. I for one feel that's  pretty much the case...

It's been said that "So and so has a sweet tooth" 

I have a whole damn mouth full of them

• Haha 1
  • Heart 2

D_Mac

The most important thing is is how you feel. Like I said... I am 6'5 ..270 lbs charts say I am over weight. I feel good though. I carry the weight well. I am not in my 20's or 30's when I was 6'5 220. Father time says you cant do the things you used to do when younger. You get aches and pains as your body gets older. Of course I dont feel as good as I did when younger and at a lighter weight but I feel way better then I did at 340 lbs. I can not see myself losing another 50 lbs to satisfy a chart somewhere. Even if I could lose the weight I couldnt keep it off with out killing myself in the process. 10 more pounds I think would be my ideal number. As you age MOST peoples metabolism slows down. Again, be realistic about where you want to be. Dont set a goal you cant possibly maintain. Set a realistic goal. It is a lifestyle change, not easy to do, so dont set a goal where you will disappoint yourself in the long run. Thats why many people have a hard time keeping the pounds off that they lose. I watch what I eat. Dont eat in access. Make it a point to keep active. At 340 I did none of that. I am not going to battle through cancer twice, only to lose the fight to eating a pound of pasta and a few donuts. Your brain tricks you into feeling hungry. Trust me... when I could only have black coffee and vegetable broth for weeks, those hunger feelings were very strong. At the end when I was able to eat again I found I wasnt as hungry as often and when I ate it didnt take much for me to feel full. Learn to change that my keeping your mind on other things. Your brain and your body like routines. Not easy to change your routine but that is what you need to do. Once they know a the new routine it will get much easier. Thats why I said its more of a lifestyle change, more then just a change in your diet. 

• Like 3

lynnmor
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Yep, if it tastes good, spit it out.  :icecream:  :naughty:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Marv
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's been said that "So and so has a sweet tooth" 

I have a whole damn mouth full of them

Me too Eric.

Marv

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

You go Eric!!  

I have had success with KETO or low carb eating. I went from 300 to 230 and have settled in about 240 right now. I come to learn I am a carboholic. After cutting out almost all carbs, not only did I lose weight, but I now longer craved food all the time. Fell off the wagon over Christmas and getting back on track now. The power of carbs is mighty!!! 

About 15 years ago, I dropped over 50 pounds in a 3 month time and killed my gall bladder. It was full of tiny stones and had to be removed. 

I know you can do it!! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

There use to be a radio program called "Click and Clack" a couple old car mechanics that gave automobile information to call in car owners. These people trying to eat healthy out running and exercising then lay in a Nursing Home a couple of years waiting to die.  There idea on living was to get out and do what you like, smoke, drink, eat what ever you want next day you might have a missive heart-a-tack and die.. There idea has merit,  The best of Nursing Homes I have seen are not fit for a dog.

I never did smoke much just tried it a while when a teen-ager. Started drinking while in the Navy and a few years after I got out. I got to liking it too much and cut back. I was 30 when I first got marred and my wife asked me to quit. Haven't had a drink on almost 50 years.

My wife died three years ago. I'm chief cook and bottle washer. I have lost 25 # don't eat as much as I use to. I know how to cook always did never cared to do it. I just do what i need to do. I still do most of what I want to, I can't go hard at it all day, i have found that when you get tired it's time to quit and go to the house. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

@Lee1977

Sounds like you're living the right way Sir. 

Well done. 

@RandyLittrell

Thanks Man. 

I'm on it!

Pullstart

Dang it EB!  Instead of going for the toast and cream cheese and jelly today, I’m cooking up onions and garlic and basil pesto and eggs!  With 16 layers, we have a lot of eggs!  It’s also easy to get tired of the healthy choice but the different ways of preparing helps.

002C01D4-48D1-43A5-84FE-1BC339F22527.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Yummy picture
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Dang it EB!  Instead of going for the toast and cream cheese and jelly today, I’m cooking up onions and garlic and basil pesto and eggs!  With 16 layers, we have a lot of eggs!  It’s also easy to get tired of the healthy choice but the different ways of preparing helps.

002C01D4-48D1-43A5-84FE-1BC339F22527.jpeg

Variety my friend. That's the key.

• Like 1

Pullstart

One thing I was thinking of, downing a :wh: mass of water... 

fluids fluids fluids!  Well... water water water!  I have lost a many pounds by flushing the toxins and garbage through me with plenty of water per day.  When you calculate how much water you should have in a day, it seems impossible.  Once you begin consuming so much, you crave it!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1