Inspectorjoe

Snow plow parts source

Inspectorjoe

I recently bought this plow. I don't think I did too bad for $60. I don't know the model number. The rod that connects the blade to the frame is not long for this world. I've come up dry in an online search for a replacement. Does anyone know where I could find one?

20201201_002824.jpg

20201201_003025.jpg

20201201_003040.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

You did great at $60!  

I bought some 1/2" rod at Lowe's and made them up for one of mine. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

As you become more familiar with your :wh: you will appreciate the fact that they were built with standard hardware store materials and can be serviced easily.

Please click on this Introduction link https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/?do=add and tell us a little more about your Wheel Horse and yourself. 

• Like 1

peter lena

JOE, while you are at it , good opportunity to service that steering quadrant , your second photo shows' a   pop off cap to access lubrication area, also good time to washer up the angle movement rod , typically a sloppy fit , causing mount hole wear. use long needle nose plyers to remove Kotter pin and add washers to firm up that swing area. all that surface rot and more can easily be stopped with a LUBRICATION SOAK DOWN , thoroughly grease the quadrant internal swing arc mount and spring pin lever mount. also if you want to make this easier, set the plow up on a bench or milk crates for better access , that's what I do , correct problems and verify movement function off the tractor , that ease of function , is exactly what you will  mount back on . pete

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

As Eric @ebinmaine said hardware store 1/2 inch diameter,  get a 3 or 4 footer and you'll have yourself some spares.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3

Inspectorjoe
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You did great at $60!  

I bought some 1/2" rod at Lowe's and made them up for one of mine. 

Thanks, Eric. I was bummed out because I missed the one the guy had at $150, but then he said he had one that needed some work for $60. I expected it to be in much-worse condition. I'm not one to nickle and dime someone who prices an item fairly, so I gave him his asking price. The only thing that was missing on it was the very thin rod that runs from the hand-operated release lever to the triangle. I picked one up at Lowes for $2.63.

I was figuring that I might end up having to make my own rod, but I don't have a drill press to make the two holes. I might grind a little flat spot to start the hole, or look for a jig that would keep the bit from skipping off.

• Like 2

Inspectorjoe
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

As you become more familiar with your :wh: you will appreciate the fact that they were built with standard hardware store materials and can be serviced easily.

Please click on this Introduction link https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/?do=add and tell us a little more about your Wheel Horse and yourself. 

Yes, Richard, they certainly are easy to service. I've had 5 Wheel Horses over the years. Most times I did an internet search on an issue I was having, it brought me here. I don't know why I hadn't registered earlier (actually, I do - I'm a habitual procrastinator. . I'll complete the introduction and also plan on becoming a supporting member.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Inspectorjoe
6 hours ago, peter lena said:

JOE, while you are at it , good opportunity to service that steering quadrant , your second photo shows' a   pop off cap to access lubrication area, also good time to washer up the angle movement rod , typically a sloppy fit , causing mount hole wear. use long needle nose plyers to remove Kotter pin and add washers to firm up that swing area. all that surface rot and more can easily be stopped with a LUBRICATION SOAK DOWN , thoroughly grease the quadrant internal swing arc mount and spring pin lever mount. also if you want to make this easier, set the plow up on a bench or milk crates for better access , that's what I do , correct problems and verify movement function off the tractor , that ease of function , is exactly what you will  mount back on . pete

Thanks for the tips. I've had two Wheel Horse snow blowers, but this is my first WH plow. Previously, I used a Power King to plow.

I'm putting the plow on this bad boy. It came with a blower, which I sold. An unexpected surprise was that it came with a set of brackets mounted to the axle. I have rear weights ready to go on, and will be filling the tires. 2 link chains and firestone tri-ribs are on their way and should be here in a few days.

IMG_5890.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

peter lena

peter lena

JOE , that 14 horse hydro should easily get it done , look up plow frame mounting pictures , on site to help with installation tricks . those rear brackets , have small swing arms, get a couple of 1/8"  spring clips at your local h/w store in the small pull out drawer section , to secure the arms , the holes are there , prevents the back of frame from dropping . let us know how you make out, pete

• Like 1

gwest_ca
46 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I was figuring that I might end up having to make my own rod, but I don't have a drill press to make the two holes. I might grind a little flat spot to start the hole, or look for a jig that would keep the bit from skipping off.

I suspect you have a hand drill. Get a split point drill bit which is the most common now and you will be pleasantly surprised. They don't skate around.

Garry

• Like 4

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

Thanks, Eric. I was bummed out because I missed the one the guy had at $150, but then he said he had one that needed some work for $60. I expected it to be in much-worse condition. I'm not one to nickle and dime someone who prices an item fairly, so I gave him his asking price. The only thing that was missing on it was the very thin rod that runs from the hand-operated release lever to the triangle. I picked one up at Lowes for $2.63.

Joe you can get around not having a drill press particularly if you have a vice. 

The good thing about making a rod like that is it isn't precision engineering so just get it as close to centered as you can for the clips to go through.

Get a hold of a good sharp center punch and make a nice neat impression where you want to put the drill bit. 

Start small like 1/16-in. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Inspectorjoe
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Joe you can get around not having a drill press particularly if you have a vice. 

The good thing about making a rod like that is it isn't precision engineering so just get it as close to centered as you can for the clips to go through.

Get a hold of a good sharp center punch and make a nice neat impression where you want to put the drill bit. 

Start small like 1/16-in. 

I'm probably overthinking this. Rod stock isn't that hard. I'll pick up a brand new bit to do it. 

I've spent enough time on the internet. I promised the wife I'd replace a bathroom sink today. It's quarter after 4, and so far all I've done is think about it. That ain't gonna get it done.

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I'm probably overthinking this. Rod stock isn't that hard. I'll pick up a brand new bit to do it. 

I've spent enough time on the internet. I promised the wife I'd replace a bathroom sink today. It's quarter after 4, and so far all I've done is think about it. That ain't gonna get it done.

She will learn to accept the tractor and everything that you do to it.

One possible method of convincing is that if your significant other has even so much as 1% of a mechanical blood cell you can "get them"  a tractor..

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Inspectorjoe here is some help when I fixed up a couple that was missing parts... 

even though I did a lot of it in the factory's machine shop I worked at it can be done at home with a bench vice , hand drill , a 4-4 1/2" angle grinder , a MAP gas hand torch ect...

• Like 1

Inspectorjoe
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Inspectorjoe here is some help when I fixed up a couple that was missing parts... 

even though I did a lot of it in the factory's machine shop I worked at it can be done at home with a bench vice , hand drill , a 4-4 1/2" angle grinder , a MAP gas hand torch ect...

Wow, interesting thread. You've got some great shkills, there!

Inspectorjoe
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

She will learn to accept the tractor and everything that you do to it.

One possible method of convincing is that if your significant other has even so much as 1% of a mechanical blood cell you can "get them"  a tractor..

She's definitely not a tractor person, but she does humor me by being willing to be part of pictures. Can't you see the look of joy in her face as she's seeing my new H for the first time?

60589140_2277283775685975_1059397277476454400_o.jpg

42763966_1943795662368123_456594326810525696_o (1).jpg

Trac Vac Rita.JPG

• Haha 4
  • Heart 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

Wow, interesting thread. You've got some great shkills, there!

Hillbilly ingenuity,  if you ain't got it you make, at least that is what my dad did most of his life I learned a lot from him then worked as machinist/fabricator for the last 14 or so years and still learning. Here's another bigger blade project I did...

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

She's definitely not a tractor person, but she does humor me by being willing to be part of pictures. Can't you see the look of joy in her face as she's seeing my new H for the first time?

Trac Vac Rita.JPG

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

@Inspectorjoe These pictures are absolute gold! The tractors are great. Love the Power Kings.

Your female woman person must be some kind of special.

You pay right close attention to what that @WVHillbilly520H  tells you. He's got some good ideas and he'll treat you right too. 

Anybody got a sense of humor like you apparently do you'll fit right in around here just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I'm putting the plow on this bad boy. It came with a blower, which I sold. An unexpected surprise was that it came with a set of brackets mounted to the axle. I have rear weights ready to go on, and will be filling the tires. 2 link chains and firestone tri-ribs are on their way and should be here in a few days

Somehow I missed this post earlier. 

A '73 14 Hydro is a great plowing rig!

Love the fact that you have a good plan in place with WEIGHT and TRACTION and CHAINS. 

The tri ribs will be good. If they don't bite quite enough you can surround them with #40 roller chain and you'll be kickin' it. 

• Like 1

Inspectorjoe
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

@Inspectorjoe These pictures are absolute gold! The tractors are great. Love the Power Kings.

Your female woman person must be some kind of special.

You pay right close attention to what that @WVHillbilly520H  tells you. He's got some good ideas and he'll treat you right too. 

Anybody got a sense of humor like you apparently do you'll fit right in around here just fine.

She's one of a kind. A while back she had a knee replaced. Naturally, I came up with a way to help her recovery that involved the use of a tractor. I don't want to veer too far off the subject of the original post, but it does involve a snow plow.

Power King Physical Therapy Enhancer

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

JohnD

We've got a character on our hands! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

She's one of a kind. A while back she had a knee replaced. Naturally, I came up with a way to help her recovery that involved the use of a tractor. I don't want to veer too far off the subject of the original post, but it does involve a snow plow.

Power King Physical Therapy Enhancer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Suuuuubscribed!!!!!

@pullstart @OldWorkHorse @Oldskool @Stepney @JCM @wallfish @AMC RULES

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, JohnD said:

We've got a character on our hands! 

Loveitt. Loveitt. Loveitt. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

Trac Vac Rita.JPG

Hopefully that last pic made your annual Christmas Card!  Love it!  And the video, great work!

• Excellent 2