D_Mac

Back In The Club With A 857

D_Mac

Just went to pick this up. Seems fairly decent. I know the seat and steering wheel have been changed. I dont like where the solenoid was mounted. I dont like how the throttle cable is a foot longer then it needs to be and hangs out the side. Both the throttle and choke cables are hard to pull/push in or out. Seems to have wrong fuel line on it as it leaks by the carb. Did not come with a deck but has a plow in pretty decent shape. Also has chains for the tires that are under the seat. I am assuming they fit on the tires, we will see. Someone painted it. Wasnt done recently. Plus side is that it starts right up and runs good. Steering seems tight. Whats here is in good shape. Dont know to much about this model. Seems to be a little small for me. Not sure if they are any good pushing snow. I gave 250 for it. Figured it was worth that. Let me know what you think ! Look forward to your replys.

20201101_115241.jpg

20201101_115249.jpg

20201101_115852.jpg

20201101_115905.jpg

20201101_122812.jpg

20201101_122823.jpg

20201101_115839.jpg

00k0k_15rGEjEOOzg_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01414_g0RNTfQgliv_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Sparky

Nice! The short-frame/ square hoods are my favorites. 
  Doesn’t look neglected so it should clean up real easy :handgestures-thumbupright:.

I’m 6’1”....I fit this size machine. I do like installing my seat on a pair of “U” shaped seat springs. Maybe that extra height is why I’m comfy. 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Nice! The short-frame/ square hoods are my favorites. 
  Doesn’t look neglected so it should clean up real easy :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thank you, but I am 6'5 so I am not so sure I like the short frame. I do like the tractor though. Question, where is the solenoid supposed to be mounted ? Same spot but on the inside?

Edited by D_Mac

tom2p

looks great Mac - great find !

• Thanks 1

tom2p

Mac - you had been quiet for a while ... no finds ... tractor or otherwise ... 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

I been quiet because I started working part time at a animal rehabilitation center. Mostly dogs. We do physical therapy for dogs coming off surgeries and injuries. We also do dog boarding and Dog Day Play. Been keeping me busy. Started off working 2 days now its 4. Sat and Sun were my days to work so it put a little kink in my tractor fun. I tried going back to work at my old job but cant do it anymore because of the fumes now really bother my throat. I like working with dogs better then people now anyways !

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701

What's the plan?  Wax it all up nice and flip it?

• Like 1

squonk

857’s didn’t come factory with a solenoid. Mount it where ever you want. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

That's a great little tractor to plow with. Same as my Commando 8. Especially for you and that tight driveway you've got. It's nice and nimble, with a small turning radius. Looks to be in nice shape, I think you got a good deal on that tractor with a plow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mikey the Monkey

I saw this this morning on CL. Almost called on it. Seems to be a great deal. I might be interested in it when you're done making it pretty @D_Mac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

@D_Mac That's a sweet little tractor!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Your dislike issues are easy to fix. The throttle & choke cable can both be shortened easily. The solenoid can be moved to the inside of the dash tower or you can pop for a 60amp key switch and get rid of the solenoid. The short frames are great for maneuverability, 4" shorter may not seem like much but it does make a difference. As far as pushing snow, I think that you will be surprised. They are very capable. The price you paid was very good

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

You bought a plow and got a free tractor.:greetings-clapyellow:

• Thanks 1

tom2p
2 hours ago, Achto said:

As far as pushing snow, I think that you will be surprised. They are very capable. The price you paid was very good

years and years ago I watched a guy clear snow on a small parking lot with a 704 ;  I was impressed - and just chains / no weights 

I finally did get a plow for my 704 - but the plow is still sitting in the garage where I first placed it and never did get a chance to use it 

found this video of a guy moving dirt with a round hood 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

tom2p
11 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

You bought a plow and got a free tractor.:greetings-clapyellow:

back in the 90's I would have gladly paid around that much for a plow for a short frame 

pre-internet days they were tough to find 

looked for years

same with the mower decks 

Edited by tom2p
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac
5 hours ago, squonk said:

857’s didn’t come factory with a solenoid. Mount it where ever you want. 

You know I am no mechanic. I know even less about electrical things. What would have been in place of the solenoid or why was one added if it never had one? Not sure what my plans are for it. Since it has already been painted some time ago I dont feel I am the guy to do a full restoration. Most likely I will just repaint the wheels. Maybe @Vinylguy can sell me just the decal that goes on the grill. I hear we are supposed to get some 60 degree weather later this week. Maybe then I can spray the plow frame and blade with a new coat of paint. I dont think I will use it to try and do my driveway with it. We get a lot of snow around here and it seems using that would take me 10 times longer then using my snow blower. I will fix the cables, adjust the parking brake/brakes,change the oil, put the chains on the tires and give it a good washing. I wont get into it like I did on the 416-8 or the C-161. Because I dont have a deck for it I dont feel the value is there like those other two. I am having a hard time trying to sell that Simplicity I have because that one dosnt have a deck either. Maybe once we get our first few inches of snow it will sell. Anyways as usual my garage is full so I had to drop it off at my buddies house until I make some room...... ughhh I need a bigger garage !!

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

You know I am no mechanic. I know even less about electrical things. What would have been in place of the solenoid or why was one added if it never had one?

At some point a PO replaced the Cole Hersee key switch in your tractor with a cheaper Indak key switch. The original Cole Hersee switch had a 60 amp starting circuit which was heavy enough that it did not require a starter starter solenoid.  The Indak switch would not have a heavy starting circuit and would require a starter solenoid to carry the amperage during the crank cycle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vurge

Disclaimer:  I'm completely new to these machines and just got introduced to starter generators (S/G).

I've spend many hours trying to learn how to wire one.  From what I've read, if the tractor doesn't have a high amp keyswitch,  that solenoid should be a continuous duty model (in order for the S/G to send power back to the battery while the engine is running).  The one in the picture looks like a standard starter solenoid. 

I'm still wiring up my own machine so if I'm off base someone please let me know.  😁

squonk
2 hours ago, Vurge said:

Disclaimer:  I'm completely new to these machines and just got introduced to starter generators (S/G).

I've spend many hours trying to learn how to wire one.  From what I've read, if the tractor doesn't have a high amp keyswitch,  that solenoid should be a continuous duty model (in order for the S/G to send power back to the battery while the engine is running).  The one in the picture looks like a standard starter solenoid. 

I'm still wiring up my own machine so if I'm off base someone please let me know.  😁

Continuous Duty just means it's designed to be engaged for more than a couple of seconds at a time and has contacts to handle the load. (Think snow plow electric lift solenoids) 

• Like 1

squonk

I wouldn't worry about replacing /moving that 857 solenoid. You're gonna sell it anyway so why bother. If it works leave it alone.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Achto
4 hours ago, Vurge said:

From what I've read, if the tractor doesn't have a high amp keyswitch,  that solenoid should be a continuous duty model (in order for the S/G to send power back to the battery while the engine is running). 

Power is only sent through the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position. Power to the battery from the generator is sent through the voltage regulator when the engine is running.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

Retired Wrencher

D_Mac  Nice tractor. These start/gen`s are great hard working tractors. I think after some time it will be better. Take your time and enjoy it nice find.

953 nut
17 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Not sure if they are any good pushing snow.

They will push snow just fine!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Cool tractor!  Now if you’d just grab one and keep it around for a spell... you can stay in the club!  :ROTF:  

Sounds like though your new job is taking your time up, it might be good for ya and that can’t be a bad thing!  

• Like 1

D_Mac

lol @pullstart and @squonk I enjoy fixing and cleaning them up. The problem is I dont have any use for them when I finish one. City Livin dosnt require the use of a tractor very often. If I had a bigger garage I for sure would hold on to one or two. I would rather pass on the finished one and start a new project then keep one and have nothing to work on.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

So I thought while the weather was good here in NY I would put some paint on the plow blade and frame. Never owned one before so I am not really sure what those round brackets are supposed to hold. They are on the backside of the blade on each side. Are they supposed to hold skid shoes .... markers ??? Maybe someone can help me out.

20201105_104936.jpg

20201105_104916.jpg

20201105_104925.jpg

20201105_104951.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2