ebinmaine

Small camper. Information or experiences wanted.

ebinmaine

Trina is looking into getting us a small camper. Basic reasons:

So her mom can go with us and have a place to watch the dog and hang out.

We'd be able to keep all of our camping gear in its appropriate place without having to load and unload the car every time we go.

Doesn't matter if it has a bathroom because we can get a porta toilet... 

MUST be less than 1800 lbs.

Pop-up trailer?

Small truck slide in that we could put in our utility trailer?

I don't mind a hard-sided trailer at all but ones that are that small seem to be ultra expensive.

Thoughts? Advice? Questions?

D_Mac

EB I have had a few pop ups. They were great for what I needed, just some weekend camping trips. What I didnt like about them was you cant store much in them when they arnt popped up. Sure you can store your plates , silverware, some pots and pans in them when they are closed, but no room for stuff like coolers, tackle boxes, some firewood if you wanted to bring some. I always brought a canoe with me so I had all that gear. All that stuff you have to pack into what ever your towing the trailer with. I always thought that if I had a travel trailer I could store stuff inside even in the off seasons, you know keep it all together. Other then that the pop ups suited my needs. Heres a few pics, the green one was a 1976 Starcraft. Was in fantastic shape for its age. In fact I didnt realize how great it was until after I sold it and was in the market to purchase another one. The blue one was a 1988 Coleman.  I used to bring them over to my mothers house when my sister would visit from Boston. She has 5 kids and the boys would all sleep in the camper during their stay. Was nice and they enjoyed it.

20140624_183819.jpg

20140702_093641.jpg

20140624_183837.jpg

20140823_191539.jpg

20140824_130849.jpg

20140824_130958.jpg

20150626_210121.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

We had two tent-type pop-ups. Light weight but very little storage. Then we had a hard top pop-up camper. Heavier and again very little storage. After that we had a trailer. Plenty of storage, but quite heavy. We haven't looked at campers since getting rid of the 21 footer 15 years ago. There are some newer options that may get you more storage and lighter weight but I couldn't tell you where to begin.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I tried it all Eric.    Bach packing tent, family tent, pop up, slide in, 28" travel trailer, 35' travel trailer, then back to a pop up.

I really feel the pop up is the way to go.  Light, low profile, easy to tow, and I always slept better under canvas.

• Like 1

8ntruck

We started with a well used 1964 Apachie pop up.  Towed it with a 1982 Pontiac J2000.  Served us well for several years.  This was basically a no frills tent on an aluminum box.

Tiring of the maintenance to keep that working, we treated ourselves to a new Palamino pop up.  This one was a crank up top with a simple kitchen. Our tow vehicle for this one was a V6 Dodge minivan.  It also served us well.  We sold it after the kids started college.

Our camping style is basically tent camping.  The pop ups had enough storage to pack the amount of gear we carried.  To make more room in the Palimino, I removed ten cabinet with the sink and stove - never used them anyway.  Didn't want cooking smells in the camper.

My sister and her husband have a truck camper in a big Ford 4 wheel drive pickup.  I was not impressed with it.  Seemed really cramped compared to the pop ups we have had.

Edited by 8ntruck

Pullstart

EB.  I know you’re a pretty rugged group of individuals.  My buddy has an enclosed motorcycle trailer, equipped with some cots and he ducted in one of those portable AC units.  That with a small inverter generator would be pretty slick!  

• Like 2

Pullstart

I must add.  I grew up camping all over Michigan with my mom and her ex.  We had a pop up for many years.  In Newaygo Co. on Muskegon River I bet I was 8 or so, us boys woke up with our parents in the tent with us.  We had no idea that a tornado had ripped down our road in Big Bend campground and flipped the pop up and mangled to un-towable status.  They were ok and our tent was unscathed, most likely not even staked down.

That enclosed trailer wouldn’t have the floppy soft sides of a pop up.  

But I’ve also always thought a pop up sideways on top of a gooseneck trailer would make the most perfectest toy hauler camper combo ever!

Edited by pullstart
Auto correct
  • Like 2

D_Mac

Also for all that you get for your money the pop up is a good value. That 76 I only paid 400 bucks for and the 88 I paid 900. After a few years use on both I sold each for more then I paid. Just dont close them up when they are wet, treat the canvas, and keep the critters out !!!

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I must add.  I grew up camping all over Michigan with my mom and her ex.  We had a pop up for many years.  In Newaygo Co. on Muskegon River I bet I was 8 or so, us boys woke up with our parents in the tent with us.  We had no idea that a tornado had ripped down our road in Big Bend campground and flipped the pop up and mangled to un-towable status.  They were ok and our tent was unscathed, most likely not even staked down.

That enclosed trailer wouldn’t have the floppy soft sides of a pop up.  

But I’ve also always thought a pop up sideways on top of a gooseneck trailer would make the most perfect East toy hauler camper combo ever!

Wow.  That was closer than the tornado that jumped over us at Claybanks county camp ground on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Pullstart
1 minute ago, 8ntruck said:

Wow.  That was closer than the tornado that jumped over us at Claybanks county camp ground on the shore of Lake Michigan.

I know this is ignorance talking, as I’ve slept through two tornadoes in my life and I realize they tear families apart and change lives forever... I want to feel the power of an earthquake and a tornado some day.  Even if it was a simulation... I’d be up for it.

8ntruck
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I know this is ignorance talking, as I’ve slept through two tornadoes in my life and I realize they tear families apart and change lives forever... I want to feel the power of an earthquake and a tornado some day.  Even if it was a simulation... I’d be up for it.

Watching the spinning clouds go almost overhead was close enough for me.   The temperature dropped, the air had a wet fishey smell, and the clouds were green.

Soon after, there was a report on the radio that it had touched down about a mile away from us.

Come to think about it, this is one of the adventures we had with the old Apachie.

Edited by 8ntruck

D_Mac

@pullstart this is my cousins business thats him inside

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I've done both. Within a half-mile of a tornado when I was young. And been in a medium duty earthquake and felt quite a few light ones.

Earthquakes are interesting enough as long as they're not too strong but I don't need to see another tornado as long as I live.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Excellent information on the campers. Keep it coming.

• Like 1

D_Mac

I could have him look you up for further " testing" 

JCM

Now that there are only two of us I decided to convert the Cargo trailer into a mini toy hauler to head to PA for the BS , as that did not happen I slowed down a bit on the conversion with just minor details to finish. I feel this is perfect for us and can also fit 2 WH's and strapped down to all the E Trac I installed. @pullstart  may be able to squeeze in a few more ?   I have included a before and after pictures, hope to try it out soon.This is good for two but Eric may have to sleep in the tent ? Plenty of used Cargo trailers out there for sale @ebinmaine  get Trina inside one of those and let her imagination run wild, I know she can do it . Good luck in your search for comfortable camping day's ahead.  IMG_0011.JPG.ddcf82f0034db59377faac87a5676ea0.JPG:handgestures-thumbup:

DSCN0045.JPG

DSCN0116.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Edited by JCM
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Tractorhead

Great solution and simply, that's real Camping Jim.

I did also a lot of Camping over the Times.

Firstly like Ed as Backpacker with tents, even than later with bigger tents
later with a Station wagon, a light Truck and after divorce i live completely for nearly 8 years in a Fullsize RV as mobile Home.

I also try few Trailers before but no own popups until now, i found they to weak, and too instable if popped up.

My personal favorite in such decision where a Trailer like Jim shows here.

Not much fix installed, everything can be moved or changed if another position is better suited.

Simple to redo as a mobile storage, fixed sidewalls and hard roof in case of heavy rain,

not too much windows in an unuseful height for too curious peoples.
and provided with a porta pot if time is running out .. 😂

a small kitchen can be built as a removable combo if needed,
so it can also be moved quick on a other place when wrong positioned.

i just would install in middle section fixed Led light stripes sectioned front middle rear

Not look too much as a camper, and definitely no white to be able to standing somwhere bit more hidden.

Great Trailer 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I have done both pop ups and travel trailers. Plus I worked at an RV joint a couple of years. Pop ups are nice and you can get them cheap. Ed had a good Idea with the kitchen. My biggest thing with pop ups is that roof lift system. They are a Major PITA to repair and break at the worse times. My small travel trailer was great for my needs at the time. Everything could be stored in it and was comfy enough. Today all I do for fun is tractor shows so I stay at a hotel with AC and a nice shower. Pullstarts idea of an enclosed trailer ain't a bad idea but I fear you would end up packing it full of non-camping stuff then you got to unload it to use it. If it was just me and I wanted to haul my trailer too I'd get a truck camper. Don't see them much. @WHX24 could prolly shed some light on the cargo trailer camping idea.

• Like 2

squonk

I almost forgot my favorite. Back in 82 whilst working at the RV place, I would go to Pocono for the stock car races. Camping in a tent at that altitude meant... WATER IN THE TENT!! I woke up with a puddle on my chest more than once. Anyway we sold truck caps and a wooden/aluminum truck cap came in on trade. This cap you had to take the tailgate off the truck as it had an aluminum door. It was in good shape but heavy. It said "Hillbilly Hilton" on the side. Got it for a Franklin. Then a pop up with a damaged frame came in on trade and it was going to be junked. The inside was nice so I scarfed a mattress and a couple of cabinets out of it. I was also able to fine a set of truck camper wind up jacks and mounted the hardware so I could take the cap on and off. Rigged up a interior light and I was all set. No more sleeping on the ground or on a cot! Here is a pic of a similar cap.images.jpg.0d253fb67304a9cb2a554185ca1561a2.jpg

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

One more note Eric.   When I bought my Pop up, I realized I needed more ground clearance as I used it off road as a hunting camp.    To reach many of the areas I had to ford 12" deep streams.

I removed the axle and bolted it under the springs instead of on top as designed.   I also replaced the 8" wheels with 12" wheels.

This gave me plenty of ground clearance for off road use.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Achto

I've camped in about everything tents, back of a truck, slide in camper, class C motor home, Class A motor home, 5th wheel trailer, pop up, etc. All of them served their purpose but I'm um frugal yet I don't like to sleep on the ground. I'm currently on my second Jayco pop up camper. First one was used when I purchased it, the second was new. One of my favorite things about a pop up is that the beds are push away leaving more usable floor space once it is opened up. On our current pop up the table area pushes out to the side to create even more floor space.   @squonk mentioned that the lift system can be an issue with a pop up, one perk of a Jayco is that there is a life time warranty on the lift system. 

Our home away from home.

DSCN1542-min.JPG.f98b50dfd84ba7989d3d3c64c59f907a.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I used to be strictly a tent camper, but since my car accident a few years ago it got too hard to get up and down off the ground in the mornings. We own a 27' Tioga motorhome on a Ford E350 chassis. I lived in it for a couple years, and always thought it would be nice for camping. However after moving it a time or two I quickly found out I did not like driving it in the high Oklahoma winds. Had the idea of a popup trailer a few times, and was right on the verge of buying one a year ago, but then lucked into this free popup truck camper while on vacation last July. We love it, Only disadvantage to it I have found is the fact that it ties up your vehicle while at the campsite. Once you get used to the process its pretty easy to load/unload. I haul ours in a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, but it is plenty lightweight enough to be hauled around in a half ton. Matter of fact I hauled it all the way home from Nebraska a year ago in the bed of our 94 F150. I wasn't too sure about the popup design at first, but after hauling it I prefer it to the hardside versions. Much less wind drag and doesn't fight near as bad in a crosswind. Not sure about up there, but here in NW Oklahoma if we see a 35 MPH wind that's a light breeze for us, so something easy to handle in high winds was a must. Another thing I like is the fact I can pull a trailer behind me with it, whether it be to haul a boat to the lake or a tractor to a tractor show. 20200615_200526.jpg.3e8934c92e3d8830bb6142e73930b4cb.jpg20200615_205250.jpg.84f236e57f78957c84c602b0e2b83206.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

RandyLittrell

I have had tents, tent trailers, pop up's and now a small TT. Love the travel trailer versus the others. You can keep your blankets and towels and cooking equipment stored all the time versus a pop up having to take stuff in and out. With the pop up, you have to set it back up when you get home to clean it out and move your things. It would always be damp when it was time to leave so you had to set it up when you got home to dry off even if you put all your extra stuff in the truck on the way home. Just got tired of putting it up and down. We also use out small camper now as an extra bedroom when guest come to stay. 

KIMG0033.JPG

But If it weren't for my wife being a little fussy about it, I would covert a cargo trailer to camp in. You can make it as simple as you want, still keep you stuff in it and be able to haul a some tractors along as well. Check out this site Eric. 

http://www.tnttt.com/

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Follow up on my June 30 2020 post. Some pictures how it looks today when these were taken. A few minor details to finish but heated, wired and usable. Speaking about heated, had an issue in November when we visited Eric & Trina for an overnight stay. Ran the heater to warm things up before bed and had it up to 72 degrees in 15 minutes, shut it down and off to bed, woke up 3 hours later to 32 degrees and tried to relight the heater but no luck.  Good thing for Cold weather sleeping bags and nice cushions.  @ebinmaine  had the boiled coffee ready when I knocked on the door a 6 am and all was fine. Figured out the problem and all is well with the heater.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, JCM said:

@ebinmaine  had the boiled coffee ready

Always ready for any Redsquare folk!!

Great to see the trailer is going well. 

More gatherings to come here next year.  

@OldWorkHorse @Stepney @AHS @WheelhorseBob @Chestnut @Oldskool

Gotta get all the local ish folks together. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4