Snoop@ICI

1967 wheel horse

Snoop@ICI

I have a 1967 Wheel Horse. I think its a 10 or T-10. Serial# 374530. The rear assembly needs to be split in half to see whats wrong inside and i can't find anyone thats willing to help. I could use some suggestions please. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Boy did you ever come to the right place...

If you can spin a wrench or two you can get that transmission taken apart just fine.

Your biggest challenge is going to be getting the hubs off of the axles.

What is it that's going on and why do you need to take it apart?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

A picture would help us identify your horse.  Is it a manual transmission or a hydro?  What engine is on it?  What seems to be wrong with the trans??  :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

71_Bronco

Welcome to the forum. As stated, a quick picture would help, as well as description of the symptoms.

Look under the dash for a tag with a model and serial number on it. this will help you get the right manual.

spacer.png

As far as help, you're definitely in the right place. Lots of knowledge here in these forum pages.

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

It may be a model 1067

Garry

• Like 1

Snoop@ICI

Lost all gears, you can put it in any gear and won't go anywhere. Hubs all are off and the transmission is out, just don't know how to separate it.

20200603_164728.jpg

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎 :rs:

• Like 1

Snoop@ICI
7 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎 :rs:

Thank you. I have so many more questions. Lol

The Tuul Crib

As @ebinmaine said a few wrenchs 

and your good to go! Is it manual 

or auto? @stevasaurus has several 

videos that make it very easy!

The Tuul Crib

@WHX24 is up there im not sure 

how close by he is.

• Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, The Tuul Crib said:

how close by he is.

He's about 1.5hrs from me, maybe a little more from Jim.

@Snoop@ICI

@stevasaurus has a link to his Youtube. channel included on his post. He has some very good video's on rebuilding :wh: transmissions.

1 hour ago, Snoop@ICI said:

Hubs all are off and the transmission is out, just don't know how to separate it.

When you pulled the hubs off, were both woodruff keys in tact? Did you pull the drive pulley on the trans for the belt off yet? Was that key in tact? Just want to verify that these are all in good shape before you go through the trouble of opening the cases,

If you have the transmission out and the hubs, brake drum, & drive pulley removed. All that is left is to loosen the set screw that holds the shifter in and remove the shifter. Then remove the bolts that hold the two cases together. Find a good spot to tap on with a drift to split the two cases.

Here is a good source for :wh: tranny parts. Also the only source to get a new #1533 bearings and new #5323 3rd gear.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Here is the book to take it apart and put back together.  I think I see 1057.  Do you have a 3 speed or a transmission with a hi/low range.  Use Section II if you have a 3 speed and Section III if you have a 6 speed transmission.

You have to take off the hubs, pulley, brake drum and the rear hitch pin 1st in order to open the trans.  Make sure you have the shallow side down when taking it apart.  If you have a 3 speed, you very likely have the #5058 transmission...heavy duty bevel gear differential.  How about a picture of the transmission??  Do the axles measure 1 1/8" diameter??  Answer these questions and I can tell you what you have.

• Like 1

Achto
35 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

rear hitch pin

Thanks Steve, :)I forgot to mention the hitch pin. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

71_Bronco

I was going to suggest rolling the tractor and seeing if the input pulley would spin, but you said the trans was out already.

Definitely check the woodruff keys before splitting. you'll have to remove them anways prior to splitting the case.

I was working on my '68 wheel horse, and found that the input pulley was not tightened down on the input shaft, the belt guard was the only thing keeping it on the input shaft. Surprised I didnt loose it or damage the key.

• Like 2

WHX??

:WRS: 

Looks like the boys have you covered. I concur with Steve on the 1057....  sure looks like a 5 and not a 6 anyway. m

Lots of pics guy and we can walk you through it. If your mechanical skills are not up to snuff you can always bring it here and I can repair it for you. There was a WH bro of ours up there near you who's good with a wrench but haven't seen him in quite awhile. Usually ran into him at shows but that's unlikely  to happen.  @jeremi3210 you out there??? 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoop@ICI
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:WRS: 

Looks like the boys have you covered. I concur with Steve on the 1057....  sure looks like a 5 and not a 6 anyway. m

Lots of pics guy and we can walk you through it. If your mechanical skills are not up to snuff you can always bring it here and I can repair it for you. There was a WH bro of ours up there near you but haven't seen him in quite awhile. Usually ran into him at shows but that's unlikely  to happen.  @jeremi3210 you out there??? 

What would it take to bring it to you?

WHX??

You putting the tranny in the truck and start driving! :auto-layrubber:

• Haha 3

Snoop@ICI
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Here is the book to take it apart and put back together.  I think I see 1057.  Do you have a 3 speed or a transmission with a hi/low range.  Use Section II if you have a 3 speed and Section III if you have a 6 speed transmission.

You have to take off the hubs, pulley, brake drum and the rear hitch pin 1st in order to open the trans.  Make sure you have the shallow side down when taking it apart.  If you have a 3 speed, you very likely have the #5058 transmission...heavy duty bevel gear differential.  How about a picture of the transmission??  Do the axles measure 1 1/8" diameter??  Answer these questions and I can tell you what you have.

When I get home ill take a picture of it

• Thanks 1

Snoop@ICI
6 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

You putting the tranny in the truck and start driving! :auto-layrubber:

How far are you from Marshfield, WI?

WHX??

Please do we like our :text-coolphotos: here. 'Bout an hour 45 min  from Marshfield  10 to 39 and put the hammer down. Map Montello

Unless Dan wants to go get it ??? Hey Dan I know a fine gentleman's club up there I used to frequent! :ychain::laughing-rolling:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Snoop@ICI

20200604_161958.jpg

20200604_161949.jpg

20200604_161943.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Got you a little 6 speed there..

• Like 3