Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

squonk

Called into work today. No heat in 2 heating loops at hospital. Water temps at 60° when they should be 120° and 180° respectively. Got to my office and the control system is calling for 100% steam. Went to the boiler room and started tracing steam lines. Main steam spits 2 directions and one direction I could not hear any steam going through the system. Checked the gauge and it was reading 6 PSI . Should be 10 PSI. . But I'm looking at it and say. "I bet that gauge is broke!" Removed the gauge. Yep it's broke! :rolleyes:  Steam pressure regulator is bad. Called the lead mechanic down to get up on the pipes to crack open the bypass. He can't budge it. So he calls the plumber we call "Rockhands" He can loosen something with a pair of channel locks that I would need a 3 foot bar on.:rolleyes:

Well he snapped off the stem on the bypass. So he calls a contractor we use and I get the emergency repair authorization paperwork going. Lucky for us they could get their hands on a new pressure regulator and they are on their way. Heat back on. This was supposed to happen next week during Christmas  as all emergencies always happen on a holiday. It almost never fails. 4th of July is usually the worst! :confusion-seeingstars:

s1.jpg.45a64657b0a88d18ecb9afecf551cda3.jpg

s2.jpg.c795ddf66ee9f2def93726a4df66b4bc.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 6

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  You going to add an item on your PM list to cycle that valve once a month?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Called into work today. No heat in 2 heating loops at hospital. Water temps at 60° when they should be 120° and 180° respectively. Got to my office and the control system is calling for 100% steam. Went to the boiler room and started tracing steam lines. Main steam spits 2 directions and one direction I could not hear any steam going through the system. Checked the gauge and it was reading 6 PSI . Should be 10 PSI. . But I'm looking at it and say. "I bet that gauge is broke!" Removed the gauge. Yep it's broke! :rolleyes:  Steam pressure regulator is bad. Called the lead mechanic down to get up on the pipes to crack open the bypass. He can't budge it. So he calls the plumber we call "Rockhands" He can loosen something with a pair of channel locks that I would need a 3 foot bar on.:rolleyes:

Well he snapped off the stem on the bypass. So he calls a contractor we use and I get the emergency repair authorization paperwork going. Lucky for us they could get their hands on a new pressure regulator and they are on their way. Heat back on. This was supposed to happen next week during Christmas  as all emergencies always happen on a holiday. It almost never fails. 4th of July is usually the worst! :confusion-seeingstars:

s1.jpg.45a64657b0a88d18ecb9afecf551cda3.jpg

Or he shall tell them how much steeringwheels he additional need..😎

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ML3

Some of the buildings at work still rely on steam for heat. The plant was built in the 1940s so you can imagine the issues we constantly have. Slowly they are converting over to gas heat. Seems like they fix a leak & then shortly down the line another one develops.  Our HVAC guys & pipefitters are on eternal overtime. 

• Like 3

squonk

I don't know exactly how old our plant is. Oldest boiler is 1964. Steam absorption chiller went in in 95 so there have been many changes.

Sparky

Swapped my snow tire/wheels onto my daily driver. Does this mean it won’t snow?? :wacko:
  Factory wheels are 18” and the winter wheels are 17”. Took it for a spin and she rides real nice. 

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, Sparky said:

. Does this mean it won’t snow?? :wacko:

The Frugal Gourmet Shares Breakfast From Around The World - Page 1 ...

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Does this mean it won’t snow?? :wacko:

The more snow prep we do the less snow we get. It's a fact of science.   

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
49 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The more snow prep we do the less snow we get. It's a fact of science.   

It is... Dr. McSnowden's Theorem:

S = WHBT + WHST / WHPT

S = Snow in inches

WHPT = Wheel Horse Prep Time

WHBT = Wheel Horse Bourbon Time

WHST = Wheel Horse Seat Time

Follow the science...:occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

It is... Dr. McSnowden's Theorem:

S = WHBT + WHST / WHPT

S = Snow in inches

WHPT = Wheel Horse Prep Time

WHBT = Wheel Horse Bourbon Time

WHST = Wheel Horse Seat Time

Follow the science...:occasion-xmas:

I do one minor adjustment here. 

Shouldn't affect the outcome.  

WHBT is WHRT = Wheel Horse Rye Time.  

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I do one minor adjustment here. 

Shouldn't affect the outcome.  

WHBT is WHRT = Wheel Horse Rye Time.  

Well... They make both... so, @ebinmaine's Corollary could be "WHBRT"... :eusa-think:

• Like 2

8ntruck

My Daisy Red Ryder is sighted in.  Got every single one of those Christmas lights!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

@8ntruck

Trail cam at @Pullstart's house few minutes ago...

image.jpeg.aba94f0997b7562d6c4b14c48c695a55.jpeg

• Haha 7

19richie66

Messed around with my early Christmas present to myself. First test cuts. Nothing is glued down yet. Going to get some red, white, grey stains and try that. Hope to keep the wood grain. 

85AE302D-04BA-4923-84AF-78DA996FCD8B.jpeg

F6161025-AD2A-411F-A80D-84EA8BB310F7.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 7
  • Heart 2

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  Laser cutter?  Neat.  That would be handy for cutting out hull parts for a model boat.

• Like 3

19richie66
1 minute ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat:  Laser cutter?  Neat.  That would be handy for cutting out hull parts for a model boat.

Yes sir. 20watt laser. Trying to get it all figured out. 

• Like 3

8ntruck
On 12/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, Sparky said:

Factory wheels are 18” and the winter wheels are 17”. 

Just curious.  What are the tire sizes for your summer and winter tires?

ebinmaine

@19richie66

That is nneeeaaatttt

• Thanks 1

ML3
On 12/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, Sparky said:

Swapped my snow tire/wheels onto my daily driver. Does this mean it won’t snow?? :wacko:
  Factory wheels are 18” and the winter wheels are 17”. Took it for a spin and she rides real nice. 

IMG_1128.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

I won't drive in the winter without snow tires. I've driven front wheel,  rear wheel, & 4 wheel drive vehicles all of which always ran snow tires. With 4wd obviously getting moving is easy but the advantage of snow tires becomes so noticeable when braking , steering, etc. 

Years ago I was a service manager at a BMW dealership. Swapping out to winter tires (actually what they are called now) was common for most of the customers. I later started working at a Ford dealership.  The technicians there asked why I put winter tires on my front wheel drive vehicle. One snowy day I let a technician borrow my car to pick up lunch. He was amazed at the improvement in a every aspect of traction. I'm still friends with all 6 techs that worked w/me. Guess what??? All of them run winter tires on their vehicles & spouses vehicles now. 

For years I drove a Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 4 winter tires. I never added any weight to the trunk. I towed 2 snowmobiles on a trailer all the time. Drove plenty 2wd trucks also.

Been driving over 37yrs installing winter tires on my vehicles & never have I said "I wish I had 4wd" I'll take any type of front or rear wheel drive w/winter tires over a 4wd with all season tires.

My son has a 2021 Subaru Outback w/Blizzaks.....it's a beast in the snow! My daughters 2022 Grand Cherokee also has Blizzaks....again, almost unstoppable. I get around all winter in Ford Focus (my Cadillac sits all winter) swapping over to winter tires. My kids drive nicer cars to work than me! Lol! 

• Like 3

19richie66

@JPWH Merry Christmas Jay. Looks like they had fun. Pretty sure Hank enjoyed it too. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JPWH
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

@JPWH Merry Christmas Jay. Looks like they had fun. Pretty sure Hank enjoyed it too. 

@19richie66 Merry Christmas Richie. They did have a great time. The boys worked Hank the day before hauling Banana

a trees so he enjoyed the play time.

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 3

953 nut
13 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Going to get some red, white, grey stains and try that.

:text-coolphotos:                                                       :woohoo:

If you mix some wood dye with clear lacquer for the surface prior to cutting That would look sharp.

Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wood Stain Kit

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

19richie66
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:                                                       :woohoo:

If you mix some wood dye with clear lacquer for the surface prior to cutting That would look sharp.

Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wood Stain Kit

I’ll look into that. Thank you sir! I have so many ideas my head hurts. 

wallfish
16 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Messed around with my early Christmas present to myself. First test cuts.

NICE.

My grandson has been interested in getting one of those but I want to use it for cutting new gaskets. I've sent some NLA stuff to a guy in CA ( Eric the gasket man) to be laser cut and they come back PERFECT like OEM gaskets. Just not sure if I'm smart enough to do all the setup