Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

elcamino/wheelhorse

No,with my luck you would send me a picture of skunky poking his head out of a barrel. Been a rough 2 days here. No air conditioning. Had a contractor in to remove all the old bits and pieces out and install new working. Took 5 months to get the city permits approved and their work done. Yesterday was 95 and right now it is 88 degrees. Fans were no help , only moved the hot air around and threw the sweat back in my face.

• Sad 3

Tractorhead

Sometimes a cold wet towell in front of the - Fan, Ventilator or however you wanna call it -helps.

😉

tomorrow the Meterolygists say we should get 36deg C.

ok, they be wrong the last 3 Months with their forecasts.

i still hope they be right tomorrow.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Took 5 months to get the city permits

You need a permit to replace an AC?       :sad-pacing:

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell No permit needed for A/C replacing a dual fuel system. . Heat pump and  oil furnace . replaced the oil furnace with a natural gas furnace and had a new heat pump installed. Needed a permit for have gas line run from main gas line to front of my house. Only took five months from permit application to the day the city worked 4 hours to run the feeder line to my house. Still don't have the gas meter , guess that will be here in October. Usual daily headaches in today's world.

• Sad 2

Wheel-N-It
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You need a permit to replace an AC?       :sad-pacing:

I don't know about Virginia, but in North Carolina you do need a permit to replace an air conditioner or heat pump system or gas furnace or oil furnace.  

• Sad 2

ebinmaine

Small town Maine. ...

No permit. No problem.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
10 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

I don't know about Virginia, but in North Carolina you do need a permit to replace an air conditioner or heat pump system or gas furnace or oil furnace.  

And I thought things were strict here!

Ordinary replacements have to be done by folks licensed for the work (and preferably insured as well) but no special permits. New work over $2,000 requires a building permit (both to fund the safety inspections 👍and to apprise the tax assessor 👎).

squonk
23 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Fans were no help , only moved the hot air around

You were "moving the hot air around" at the the "  Picnic table of Knowledge! " :teasing-blah:

Fun few days. Sunday 12:30 AM drunk dude hits pole in front of house. power does not go out but flashing lights ( LED'S) :rolleyes: and floodlights (More LED's) :rolleyes::rolleyes: lighting up the neighborhood. No sleep.:sleeping-sleep: Monday idiots started at 11AM blowing off fire works until 11:30 PM Tues. No sleep:sleeping-sleep: Had to go in early Wed. meet with controls contractor as construction guys cut wires and blew up controller.  HELPED MOVE DEAD GUY OFF OF BROKEN STRETCHER!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::scared-yipes:  95 deg. out. 2 rooftops down with the heat. Got 1 running. Had to baby sit 2nd one until new fan motors arrive. Chiller at 95% load. Went home and had to snake kitchen sink drain. 2 trips to the Big Blue Box Store!  Had to go in early Thurs. and meet another control contractor in 100 deg boiler room replacing 35 yr. old controller for a steam heat exchanger. Only 92 degrees this time. Baby sit rooftop again . Emergency Dept kept breaking the tube system. Chiller banging away at 90% load. Fri. Day off RAIN! :rolleyes:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Stormin
23 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

No,with my luck you would send me a picture of skunky poking his head out of a barrel. 

Here you are, John, and no Squonk in sight. Water butt's the tall black thing on the left. :P

P1040560.JPG.53c7f0b487a1f52286b74249fad10b07.JPG

The water runs down the down pipe, into the butt. You get it out from the tap at the bottom. :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

The water runs down the down pipe, into the butt. You get it out from the tap at the bottom. :thumbs:

@elcamino/wheelhorse

Its what we over here would call a “rain barrel”.

• Haha 2

squonk

Over here a water butt is normally this:

SmarterFresh Luxury Hand Held Bidet Sprayer - Superior Pressure Contro

Or it's what you get if you have to spend all day on a hot roof! :blink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk Bad things happen to guys that unretire @Stormin( REDNECK spelling ) ask Sir Skunky about rednecks.

19richie66
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk Bad things happen to guys that unretire @Stormin( REDNECK spelling ) ask Sir Skunky about rednecks.

909C304C-C2CD-49DF-B57D-E2B208A673D7.jpeg

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have known quite a few guys that looked like that. 

• Haha 2

Wheel-N-It
8 hours ago, squonk said:

Fun few days. Sunday 12:30 AM drunk dude hits pole in front of house. power does not go out but flashing lights ( LED'S) :rolleyes: and floodlights (More LED's) :rolleyes::rolleyes: lighting up the neighborhood. No sleep.:sleeping-sleep: Monday idiots started at 11AM blowing off fire works until 11:30 PM Tues. No sleep:sleeping-sleep: Had to go in early Wed. meet with controls contractor as construction guys cut wires and blew up controller.  HELPED MOVE DEAD GUY OFF OF BROKEN STRETCHER!!! :shock: :shock: :shock::scared-yipes:  95 deg. out. 2 rooftops down with the heat. Got 1 running. Had to baby sit 2nd one until new fan motors arrive. Chiller at 95% load. Went home and had to snake kitchen sink drain. 2 trips to the Big Blue Box Store!  Had to go in early Thurs. and meet another control contractor in 100 deg boiler room replacing 35 yr. old controller for a steam heat exchanger. Only 92 degrees this time. Baby sit rooftop again . Emergency Dept kept breaking the tube system. Chiller banging away at 90% load. Fri. Day off RAIN! :rolleyes:

Mike, after all that I hope you treated yourself to a big slice of cool, fresh Rhubarb Pie :lol:

• Like 1

Stormin

Mowed the widows back lawn, about 1/2 an acre, with the C-125. Not been done for three weeks and was about 6-7 inches tall and thick in places. Took an hour and a half. Some places high 1st. Some others, to many, low 3rd at times and 2nd and even 1st in places.

Tomorrow going to see what I can do with her 1980s something Snapper ride on. The deck lift lever broke a while back and even though I tried to weld it, being some kind of alloy or even magnesium, was rather a rough job. May hold up, most likely not, but I'll see if the deck can be set in one position.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 4

ranger
4 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I tried to weld it, being some kind of alloy or even magnesium

The other year, I bought a ‘Genset’ generator/welder from the Cheffins sale. It had a broken inlet manifold. Some kind of alloy, (Mazak/potmetal/zinc, whatever?). I made a ‘mould’, in the shape of the broken flange, from fireclay, set up the remains of the manifold in place in the mould, and then ‘cast’ the shape of the new flange using the “Technoweld”, low temperature type rods. A little bit of machining later and everything is fine! Perhaps you could effect a repair using this type of rod? Only needs a propane torch or similar as a heat source!

• Like 1

Stormin

I like that idea, Doug, but no propane torch plus it would be at my time and expense. If I had a milling machine, I have a lathe, I could make one. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Cut the yard today… been two weeks and we’ve had some rain.

That grass(term used loosely), has really gotten thick since I rid the yard of trees.

I had just mowed when I noticed a branched had fallen where I was a few minutes before…IMG_2614.jpeg.20b8e56bdb18e0975eb2f5ba13f9dbde.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg

• Like 4

JCM

Nice lawn @Horse Newbie    :thumbs: I had a beautiful lawn at my last house in Mass. Very nice farm loam and a labor of love for many years. The 89  312-8 took good care of the mowing and also the 520-H with peco bagger in the later years. Now in Maine with basically no loam and almost all sand and clay. Keep it the best I can. Now the moles have taken over for the past 4 years. I give up unless someone can tell me how to make them vanish. I still try to keep it respectable.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, JCM said:

Now the moles have taken over for the past 4 years. I give up unless someone can tell me how to make them vanish

My neighbors across the street have done battle with moles. 

They've learned that if you get rid of the mole's FOOD you get rid of the moles. 

They treat for grubs in the soil. 

Another option is C4.  

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, JCM said:

. Now the moles have taken over for the past 4 years. I give up unless someone can tell me how to make them vanish

I tried it all ....traps, poison, calcium carbide, moth balls.    Nothing worked till I pumped the tunnels full of Wheel Horse exhaust.    They left 10 years ago and never came back.post-7208-0-56020500-1397746464.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 5

JCM
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

My neighbors across the street have done battle with moles. 

They've learned that if you get rid of the mole's FOOD you get rid of the moles. 

They treat for grubs in the soil. 

Another option is C4.  

:happy-bouncyredfire:

I have a customer down the street who is retired and his lawn and yard is perfect, or was. He has tried everything including all kinds of GRUB control. Nothing has worked.   :confusion-confused: He is a huge Deer hunter, maybe that's where all the shots have been coming from  :clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, JCM said:

that's where all the shots have been coming from

They taste like chikin.

• Haha 4

JCM

:ROTF::ROTF: GOOD ONE ED. Someday when I can figure out how to post a picture of a Deer my neighbor harvested in Northern Maine and placed in a magazine you won't believe it. I think it was called Maine Big Game magazine no longer in business. They were from Dover-Foxcroft, Maine where both my camps were located, I'll see what I can do.

• Like 2